Help, Subwoofer carpet spikes or rubber feet? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-16-2012, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I have found a few old threads related to this topic, but just thought I would get a fresh perspective plus I am a newbie when it comes to HT. I have a 10" downward firing, bottom ported powered subwoofer. The sub comes with carpet spikes and optional rubber feet. I have my subwoofer on carpet and when I use the carpet spikes the sub is only about 1/2"-1" off of the floor. When I add the optional rubber feet the sub raises up another 1" off of the carpet. I have tried it both ways, but have not been able to decide which sounds better. I guess my question is whether or not the sub will perform better if the bottom port is closer or further away from the ground. I would think that it would perform better with more breathing room, but then again the carpet spikes help keep the sub from moving around. Just looking for any opinions.

Yamaha RX-V471 (AVR)
Polk Monitor 50 (fronts)
Polk CS1 (center)
Polk OWM3 (surrounds)
Polk DSW pro550wi (sub)

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 427
1/2" doesn't seem like a sufficient amount of space to me. With that little of a gap the driver may actually be coming into contact with the carpeting. If nothing else, I suspect the "breathing room" for the port isn't adequate.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Old 07-16-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

1/2" doesn't seem like a sufficient amount of space to me. With that little of a gap the driver may actually be coming into contact with the carpeting. If nothing else, I suspect the "breathing room" for the port isn't adequate.

Thanks for the input Jim! Those were my thoughts exactly. That is why I mentioned that the driver and the port are both on the bottom because I did not even think about the driver itself possibly tuching down on the carpet. I'll put it this way, the gap between the carpet and sub is only about the thickness of my hand and I do not have overly large hands.

My only reason for asking is because I do not know a ton about subwoofer positon, settings, etc... so that is why I wanted to see what the pro's thought.

Yamaha RX-V471 (AVR)
Polk Monitor 50 (fronts)
Polk CS1 (center)
Polk OWM3 (surrounds)
Polk DSW pro550wi (sub)

Mark