Looking to buy a subwoofer, not sure if what I have is my best option - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-16-2012, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to buy a subwoofer that I can primarily use for some mobile DJ'ing at house parties during my last 2 years in college. I've got 2 Mackie Thump th-15a speakers and need to get a subwoofer to complete it towards the end of summer when I have more cash on hand.

I was looking at the Behringer Eurolive B1500D-Pro as the specs look absolutely stunning compared to everything else in it's price range, but I don't know all too much about the subwoofer market.

I don't have a real budget, but I would like to keep it under $700. This is going to be primarily for listening to music in my spare time and blasting everyones drunken ears away on a Friday/Saturday night.

Thanks in advance for any help, I'm loving the look of this forum, AVS, as a whole so far biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-21-2012, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

frown.gif
post #3 of 13 Old 07-21-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?searchFilter=&srchExt=CAT&perPage=25&sortBy=0&layout=list&page=1&srchPrice=&srchCat=337&srchMfg=&srchPromo=&srchAttr=228

You might have better luck finding a Pro Audio Forum. AVS is geared more towards Hometheater. Those listed in the link are good choices some are passive (no amp) others are active.
post #4 of 13 Old 07-21-2012, 07:15 AM

Best bank for the buck, EV ELX118P.

This is a great line and you should be able to get one at your $700 budget range. This is comparable to the JBL PRX and QSC KW181 but at a lower price point.

Chris
post #5 of 13 Old 07-21-2012, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

You might have better luck finding a Pro Audio Forum. AVS is geared more towards Hometheater. Those listed in the link are good choices some are passive (no amp) others are active.

What pro audio forum(s) would you suggest?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdepaola View Post

Best bank for the buck, EV ELX118P.
This is a great line and you should be able to get one at your $700 budget range. This is comparable to the JBL PRX and QSC KW181 but at a lower price point.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did a comparison of the B1500D, the EV ELX118P, and the JBL PRX and it looks like the primary difference the Behringer has from the other 2 is a higher SPL rating (126 dB @ 1w , 1m compared to 132dB and 134dB max power @ 1m which should be in the 100-110 dB range @ 1w) and is a 4 ohm sub compared to the 8 ohm sub.

My question is, is there a reason to pick 4 ohms over 8 ohms or vice versa and if I went with a 4 ohm would I be hearing similar, if not better, sound levels and quality with less of a SPL rating?

Not sure how to word my question...hope what I wrote makes sense :P
post #6 of 13 Old 07-21-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Talk to him about this he is a dj. http://www.youtube.com/user/seansy59
Maybe he would know what he heard that sounds good. I talked to him before. he is pretty cool.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-23-2012, 11:00 AM

The Behringer product is not a bad product but its no even in the same class as the EV or JBL lines, build quality, component quality, and sound quality are far better in both the EV and JBL.

For your application don't concern yourself with how many ohms each of these are, it doesn't matter.

The JBL PRX618s-xlf goes lower and is louder and is nearly 10 lb's lighter then the Behringer, its a proven performer that is only bested by much more expensive subs. I've owned four of these are they are beasts.

The EV line is also louder and lighter though it doesn't go as low, however I'm going to go out on a limb and say that under real world testing the Behringer and EV are going to get to about the same frequency. This EV line is also comes highly recommended on the Pro DJ Market and the Pro Audio Markets.

As for a forum to check out head on over the Pro-Sound Web, they have a great forum with a bunch of great guys that do pro-audio for a living.

I've owned four of the JBL's and they are great subs, I purchased them after researching everything from about $700 to $1500 range and talking to the folks at Pro-Sound Web.

Chris
post #8 of 13 Old 07-23-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

what about qsc products? I heard they are good. for some reason I always thought that Electronic voice was cheap junk. I haven't heard it in years though, If you say that it's well regarded then I take your word for it and hope to hear it again someday.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-23-2012, 09:37 PM

The QSC KW181 is an excellent sub and comparable to the JBL, but an increased price point. EV has been making excellent quality installed sound equipment for years and is a top manufacturer in the pro audio world while Berhinger falls more in the pro-sumer market.

Chris
post #10 of 13 Old 07-23-2012, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Take a look at the Yamaha CW218V or the SW218V depending on the finish you like.

Dual 18's in a massive cabinet with free shipping through Amazon Prime.

I had that sub and enjoyed it for a time until I replaced it with more capable home theater subs.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

post #11 of 13 Old 07-23-2012, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

what about the dj cerwin vega subwoofers? Any good? I used to like Cerwin Vega a lot when I was younger, but I heard that it's not as good as it used to be.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-25-2012, 03:19 PM

CV stuff is generally low end junk.. In the end though it really depends on budget and what your using it for... If you just need thump for college parties then anything will work

Chris
post #13 of 13 Old 07-25-2012, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 55
The "LOW END" is supposed to be desirable for subwoofers, Right ?biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdepaola View Post

CV stuff is generally low end junk..
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers