NE PA/NY/NJ/DE/MD/VA GTG - Take Two! - Page 13 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which date works for you? Please vote only once.
Saturday, September 15th 5 33.33%
Saturday, October 13th 3 20.00%
Saturday, October 20th 7 46.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 618 Old 10-08-2012, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 45
They are in order to that list I posted. Just skip Nephilim's section for now.....

Oh and lines with +++ skip because i do not have those clips.

I guess I could make it clearer:
Code:
---------------------------Music Included in Rough Cut-----------------------------
-----------------------------------------In Order-------------------------------------------
Archaea:
Mia - Getto Superstar (32 seconds)
Rockapella - Shambala (35 seconds)
Flux Pavilion - Got 2 Know (25 seconds)
Lil Jon - Get Low (38 seconds)

Sibuna:
Deadmau5 - Ghosts 'N' Stuff (1:00-1:45) (45 seconds)
Sonata Arctica - San Sebastian (0:00-0:45) (45 seconds)

JimWilson:
Bass-O-Tronics Bass I Love You (1:45 - 2:05) (20 seconds)
Bass-O-Tronics Sub Bass Excursion (0:35 - 1:05) (30 seconds)

rush2049:
why so serious - dark knight soundtrack
Five - Ratatat (1:37-2:07) (30 seconds)
Six - Ratatat (0:00 - 0:45) (45 seconds)
Nine - Ratatat (0:00 - 0:20) (20 seconds)
Bob Ghandi - Ratatat (0:00 - 0:15?) (15 seconds)
Moonlight And Madness - Trans Siberian Orchestra (2:50 - 3:00) (10 seconds)
Blow Your High - Lecrae (0:00 - 0:15) (0:54 - 1:06) (27 seconds)

5-100 sweep (1 minute)

I have more tracks than others.... I tried to fill in some gaps to our listening material. I picked mostly upper 80-140 hz bass clips with some range sweeps to listen to what I felt we were lacking.

The Dark Knight is a real orchestral piece (no pipe organ).
Ratatat has some interesting and unusual bass lines.... especially off their 9 Beats album
Trans Siberian has a good bass guitar in that quick section.
And Lecrae is rap, two sections from the same song, these are low....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 618 Old 10-08-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Thanks Rush - I deleted my confused post because I re-read your post and realized there were some missing...
here we go ---my opinion on what I heard.

Archaea:
Mia - Getto Superstar (32 seconds) (Gorilla83 --- does this song shake your room, screen anything with the 15hz stuff in it at say -10 from reference with the subs a bit hot? Do you feel the tactile sensation in it??? If not - then it might be worth skipping - because Jim's Bass I Love you does the same thing.)
Rockapella - Shambala (35 seconds)
Flux Pavilion - Got 2 Know (25 seconds)
Lil Jon - Get Low (38 seconds)

Sibuna:
Deadmau5 - Ghosts 'N' Stuff (1:00-1:45) (45 seconds) --- excellent track can you make it ~30 seconds?
Sonata Arctica - San Sebastian (0:00-0:45) (45 seconds)

JimWilson:
Bass-O-Tronics Bass I Love You (1:45 - 2:05) (20 seconds) (always a favorite!)
Bass-O-Tronics Sub Bass Excursion (0:35 - 1:05) (30 seconds) (I personally felt this one seems a bit repetitive compared to some of the others --- one man's opinion)

rush2049:
why so serious - dark knight soundtrack (IMO either this needs to go first or be eliminated --- there's nothing here in the bass realm compared to the other tracks!)
Five - Ratatat (1:37-2:07) (30 seconds)
Six - Ratatat (0:00 - 0:45) (45 seconds)
Nine - Ratatat (0:00 - 0:20) (20 seconds) (single bass note thump?)
Bob Ghandi - Ratatat (0:00 - 0:15?) (15 seconds)
Moonlight And Madness - Trans Siberian Orchestra (2:50 - 3:00) (10 seconds)
Blow Your High - Lecrae (0:00 - 0:15) (0:54 - 1:06) (27 seconds)

5-100 sweep (1 minute)

I didn't comment or vote on the ones not yet in Rush's mp3 example.

Definatly seems like we still need some other genre's represented. Country, HipHop, Blues, etc. I'm hoping a few more people will submit their suggestions....

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #363 of 618 Old 10-08-2012, 08:54 AM

Here is a spectrograph from 'sub bass excursion':

Bass I love you has 30hz and 10hz notes, whereas 'bass excursion' has 38hz to 20hz sweeps.

Here is one from 'why so serious':

This is a natural recording, not boosted like most of the other music included in our selections. It has notes around 60-70hz with harmonics higher.

It all matters where your subwoofer is crossed over at. If you do it at 80hz you won't hear much for some tracks.

If anyone wants graphs of any of the other sections let me know......
post #364 of 618 Old 10-08-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Do you guys potentially have room for 1 more?

post #365 of 618 Old 10-08-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Rush - do you have an FTP site I can upload to? I could potentially setup an FTP site for you to download from - but given the time left it might be easier for me to just mail you a 25GB BluRay with these clip selections on them. They will be in m2ts form. They can be played with most any bluray software or VLC freeware if you don't have another player. PM me your address and I'll send a disc out in the mail tomorrow with the selctions I have. The selection in this post still noted with a +++ and blue font I do not have or am unclear on what they are. You'll have to make them or get them from someone else. I too believe this is going to be too many clips...We'll have to vote them down some. As to the Ironman Jericho scene 'sucking' Not a chance. It's one of the best scenes of any movie. If you don't understand why --- you'll certaintly see why in this meet. And given your impression of that scene you may be in the subwoofer upgrade queue post this meet. wink.gif

As to clips I have

JimWilson:
+++Scene 10 of Underworld Awakening (what is scene 10? I have a couple scenes of this movie but don't recognize it by that title?)
+++stampede in 10,000 BC
part in Ironman where he's walking out of the cave
ship battle in Master And Commander
the games in Tron

Archaea:
The Art of Flight has a fantastic ball dropping dolby digital demo clip
the John Mayer Concert disk is great for bass drums
Incredible Hulk Street fight and cop car smash
Underworld awakening clip
Live Free Die Hard 4 with the apartment scene
Pulse Server Room Scene

Sibuna:
Tron - Games or when he is picked up when first getting to the Grid, Id recomend the later
Kung-fu Panda - Skadoosh
War of the Worlds - Pod Emerge

realjetavenger:
THX movie trailer clip of Amazing Life or Cavalcade? http://www.thx.com/consumer/movies/
clip from Iron Man when the fire the jericho missle
any time in Iron Man 2 when they are landing (especially toward the end when it is Iron Man and his buddy in the other suit going against the army of robot iron men).
bass portion of the scubasteve demo disc (Rush is downloading this currently)

ironhead1230:
+++LOTR:FOTR ??? what time stamp here ????????????? I have this set on bluray and can get something from it most likely

MIkeDuke:
TRON - transported to the grid/part of the light cycle race
WOTW- street rumble to emergence of pods
HTTYD - Big dragon breaks through the mountain
Star Trek- Warp Jump. Space jump, Vulcan implodes (Rush has the bluray of this)
+++TDK firing that gun, big chase scene (Rush has the bluray of this) What is this?
Live Free or Die Hard Apt shoot out, "send the gas"

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #366 of 618 Old 10-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Was searching hotels on google maps and came across a little jewel of a hotel review IMO. Plenty of fine spots to stay such as the Hampton in, Comfort, Holinay inn + express, best western, etc. This is a review of a place you do not want to stay, I thought it was funny; check out the first review of this spot

Funny Hotel Review
post #367 of 618 Old 10-08-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

As to the Ironman Jericho scene 'sucking' Not a chance. It's one of the best scenes of any movie. If you don't understand why --- you'll certaintly see why in this meet. And given your impression of that scene you may be in the subwoofer upgrade queue post this meet. wink.gif

I think the DVD copy I had of the movie was to blame. I even thought I remembered the scene being more impressive. I had to turn my receiver up to 0 db to even get decent volume....

Also let me know what everyone's opinions are on this:

I can extract just the audio tracks from the movies and play them through FL Studio as well. This would give us real time spectrum analysis as well as a waveform visual so we can see what we are hearing, but would lose the video content. Another benefit would be I could put all the media so we only have to click play once and no switching from music to video would be necessary. The downside is we would lose the video content. Perhaps this is something we can decide the night before.
post #368 of 618 Old 10-08-2012, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100 View Post

Was searching hotels on google maps and came across a little jewel of a hotel review IMO. Plenty of fine spots to stay such as the Hampton in, Comfort, Holinay inn + express, best western, etc. This is a review of a place you do not want to stay, I thought it was funny; check out the first review of this spot
Funny Hotel Review

LOL! That place is a DUMP! I have no idea how they sustained all these years. As you mentioned, there are plenty of good spots in the near vicinity - if you need any other options or information let me know. biggrin.gif
post #369 of 618 Old 10-08-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

In case the volume is a bit loud for anyone by end of day - these ear plugs work really well to lower volume to your ears, but retain audio quality (not muffle sound) To be fair - if you use them for judging they should be used with every audition - but they aren't annoying to wear and you can still hear everything with them in - just at a lower volume. AVSforum member carp introduced them to me.

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ETY-Plugs-Protection-Earplugs/dp/B0044DEESS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #370 of 618 Old 10-08-2012, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2049 View Post

I think the DVD copy I had of the movie was to blame. I even thought I remembered the scene being more impressive. I had to turn my receiver up to 0 db to even get decent volume....
Also let me know what everyone's opinions are on this:
I can extract just the audio tracks from the movies and play them through FL Studio as well. This would give us real time spectrum analysis as well as a waveform visual so we can see what we are hearing, but would lose the video content. Another benefit would be I could put all the media so we only have to click play once and no switching from music to video would be necessary. The downside is we would lose the video content. Perhaps this is something we can decide the night before.

Rush - Any idea if you will be able to come by sometime on Friday evening?
post #371 of 618 Old 10-08-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Rush - Any idea if you will be able to come by sometime on Friday evening?

I think I was the original one to suggest that? I work in York, PA. and get off at 5pm. If I can get more hours in earlier in the week I can leave early. I plan on having the car packed with me at work and driving straight to your place to arrive around 7-8pm. I'm a youngin and plan on sleeping in my car, or if you allow, use some floor space. Depending on how late we go on saturday I will just drive home in the evening. I am not too far away.

Here is a question for you Andrew, do you have a hand truck at your house? What is the carrying situation to get everyones equipment to the right room?
post #372 of 618 Old 10-08-2012, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Funny Hotel Review

I'm staying at the Hampton Inn - Chadds Ford, Glen Mills, PA:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g52728-d1026950-Reviews-Hampton_Inn_Suites_Chadds_Ford-Glen_Mills_Pennsylvania.html

Apparently it's about 2 minutes from the meet.

-- Bill --
post #373 of 618 Old 10-08-2012, 10:37 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

OK - I've sent out a PM with logistics for the day for those that have confirmed. I was limited to 8 users per PM, so I had to send 3, ugh.
Also, let's talk BEER! biggrin.gif For those who are coming in the area from out of town (or those who are local) the best selection around by far is Total Wine. For those who aren't familiar, it's a SUPER market sized beer/liquor/wine store with pretty much anything imaginable. Here is the closest location, about 15 minutes from my place and it's in Delaware so tax free!
http://www.totalwine.com/eng/storeLocator/redirect.cfm?sectionID=b2c/storeLocator/storeDetails.cfm&storeid=1&locationId=17729&searchAgainLink=/eng/storeLocator/redirect.cfm?sectionID=b2c/storeLocator/storeLocator.cfm&var=d&ckey=US
I know Jim is planning on bringing some MagicHat, ironmike some Dogfish, and I'll pick up a case of lager or something similar for the group.
Woot!
P.S. - room updates: Swapped main stage for CHT SHO-10s, front bass trap frames constructed. biggrin.gif

There is a canal's near me. If they have it in stock, I'll pick up some Chimay (although even when in stock they don't typically carry many bottles, not to mention whether they have red, blue or triple - have yet to see grand reserve). For anyone who's never had Chimay, it is made by trappist monks in Belgium. How can it not be good? biggrin.gif

I was also thinking of bringing a cooler with some soda's, although it wouldn't be enough for everyone, it would be a little something. Or am I barking up the wrong tree with that?
And the plan was/still is we'll be making monetary contributions towards the beer/food fund? We'll be ordering pizza/cheesteaks or whatever?

Should we bring bikes and generators to help out with all that electricity we'll be sucking down over the course of the day? We can take turns pedaling them (in another room), you know, to help power a 20 watt light bulb or something.

btw, really appreciate the work your doing on the demo material rush.
post #374 of 618 Old 10-08-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think I was the original one to suggest that? I work in York, PA. and get off at 5pm. If I can get more hours in earlier in the week I can leave early. I plan on having the car packed with me at work and driving straight to your place to arrive around 7-8pm. I'm a youngin and plan on sleeping in my car, or if you allow, use some floor space. Depending on how late we go on saturday I will just drive home in the evening. I am not too far away.
Here is a question for you Andrew, do you have a hand truck at your house? What is the carrying situation to get everyones equipment to the right room?

Rush - I'm also going to try to leave early from work and get home around 3PM. That would be great if you can make it on Friday as well.

I probably mentioned earlier in the thread but you will have access to: a handtruck, movers straps, furniture movers, and a powerlifter (me) biggrin.gif The area in my basement also has a walkout sliding door so getting in/out should not be an issue.
post #375 of 618 Old 10-08-2012, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-8 View Post

I'm staying at the Hampton Inn - Chadds Ford, Glen Mills, PA:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g52728-d1026950-Reviews-Hampton_Inn_Suites_Chadds_Ford-Glen_Mills_Pennsylvania.html
Apparently it's about 2 minutes from the meet.
-- Bill --

The Hampton inn is a good choice for anyone else too and is literally less than a mile and a half from my place. There are also dozens of food/drink choices in that immediate area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by realjetavenger View Post

There is a canal's near me. If they have it in stock, I'll pick up some Chimay (although even when in stock they don't typically carry many bottles, not to mention whether they have red, blue or triple - have yet to see grand reserve). For anyone who's never had Chimay, it is made by trappist monks in Belgium. How can it not be good? biggrin.gif
I was also thinking of bringing a cooler with some soda's, although it wouldn't be enough for everyone, it would be a little something. Or am I barking up the wrong tree with that?
And the plan was/still is we'll be making monetary contributions towards the beer/food fund? We'll be ordering pizza/cheesteaks or whatever?
Should we bring bikes and generators to help out with all that electricity we'll be sucking down over the course of the day? We can take turns pedaling them (in another room), you know, to help power a 20 watt light bulb or something.

Chimay is good stuff for sure! I figured it would be easiest for me to go shopping for sodas/food/snacks and collect donations? If you would like something special or want to bring stuff including coolers feel free, we will have plenty of room. I was planning on setting up my coolers outside too for the beer. Honestly if the weather permits we could do some BBQ-ing on Saturday in addition to ordering a few pizzas, etc throughout the day. One meal certainly isn't going to cut it across the duration of our event, hah.

I know dstew100 (David) is also bringing some tasty pulled pork. Any cooks/grilling masters in the group? biggrin.gif I have a nice patio right outside the basement area and the grill is already set up.
post #376 of 618 Old 10-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Unfortunately my cooking skills are limited to microwave popcorn and jello - I kid you not.

-- Bill --
post #377 of 618 Old 10-08-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:

Funny Hotel Review

The Sheraton and Hampton Inn in Frazer are both pretty good. Stay away from the Holiday Inn Express in Frazer and Exton (sometimes called Lionville); they're both toilets. That's from personal experience too... wink.gif

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #378 of 618 Old 10-08-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

The Sheraton and Hampton Inn in Frazer are both pretty good. Stay away from the Holiday Inn Express in Frazer and Exton (sometimes called Lionville); they're both toilets. That's from personal experience too... wink.gif
Marriot Courtyard by the Airport is cool. I stay there before every flight. Clean and comfy and they have an indoor pool, jacuzzi and bar. About a buck twenty a night.
post #379 of 618 Old 10-08-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

5-100 sweep (1 minute)

Are we crossing any of them higher then 80Hz? If not, perhaps the sweep should be 5-80 instead.

post #380 of 618 Old 10-08-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realjetavenger View Post

I have had Chimay at a local restaurant down here. It was pricy at $15 for a large 24 or 30oz bottle, but worth it considering two had me flying.
post #381 of 618 Old 10-08-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I have had Chimay at a local restaurant down here. It was pricy at $15 for a large 24 or 30oz bottle, but worth it considering two had me flying.

What color was the label? There's actually 3 different versions of the beer, all called Chimay.

post #382 of 618 Old 10-08-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What color was the label? There's actually 3 different versions of the beer, all called Chimay.
I don't remember, but if I had to guess it may have been red?? I do remember that it was a big bottle, almost like a wine bottle. Great beer. The restaurant is one of my favorite restaurants, at least in the states anyway and they always have great beer specials, usually something unique I should say. Always a 15 minute wait before your table is ready, so I always have time for a beer or two before dinner. The last time I went, they did not have it, I have also never seen it in any of the local liquor stores here.
post #383 of 618 Old 10-08-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+++Scene 10 of Underworld Awakening (what is scene 10? I have a couple scenes of this movie but don't recognize it by that title?)

On my disk the scenes have no titles, just numbers (and no, it's not a bootleg - I don't do bootlegging wink.gif). It's the one where Selene is fighting that huge Lycan in the underground lair (the prelude to that fight as well). I'll try and get you some time stamps.

Quote:

War of the Worlds - Pod Emerge

The Fight Begins has some good parts as well.

Quote:

+++LOTR:FOTR ??? what time stamp here ????????????? I have this set on bluray and can get something from it most likely

I'll get you the time stamps for the ring and helmet drop in scene one, as well as the Balrog portions of the Bridge At Khazod Doom scene.

post #384 of 618 Old 10-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Thanks for the hotel tips all,
How about that comfort inn or best western plus close to the Hampton inn? I like Hampton Inn, you know what your going to get, clean, comfortable, pretty nice. However, I'm not too picky, especial when travelling without the wife, and we are headed to Germany 3 days later and I'd rather save $70 for eurotrip. It's not like I'll be hanging out at the hotel, but it does have to be clean.

Where am I going for cheesesteaks on my way out Sunday? I've never been to Phily. Google seems to suggest the Italian market area Pat's king of steaks or Geno's steaks and that's sorta close to the liberty bell, constitution stuff, and such. Not trying to spend a bunch of time there with a 5-6 hour drive home, but if I could eat and see a couple nice things quick I'm in.

Thanks for the tips
Reefdvr27 likes this.
post #385 of 618 Old 10-08-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How about that comfort inn or best western plus close to the Hampton inn? I like Hampton Inn, you know what your going to get, clean, comfortable, pretty nice. However, I'm not too picky, especial when travelling without the wife, and we are headed to Germany 3 days later and I'd rather save $70 for eurotrip. It's not like I'll be hanging out at the hotel, but it does have to be clean.
Where am I going for cheesesteaks on my way out Sunday? I've never been to Phily. Google seems to suggest the Italian market area Pat's king of steaks or Geno's steaks and that's sorta close to the liberty bell, constitution stuff, and such. Not trying to spend a bunch of time there with a 5-6 hour drive home, but if I could eat and see a couple nice things quick I'm in.
Thanks for the tips
LOL, the great Cheesesteak debate!! Jims is one of my favorites and then probably Pat's, but everybody has a favorite.
post #386 of 618 Old 10-08-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the tips

I just finished doing a tour with a group of 20 people of all the best cheesesteak places 2 days ago on saturday (we call it cheesesteak day, this was year 6 in a row for me attending). We hit up 10 different places touted to be the best steaks..... ending at the Franklin Fountain.

While Pat's and Geno's are definitely the famous places to go and has the whole experience, they are some of the worst tasting cheesesteaks in the city.

The big winners this year (and almost every year) were:
Carmen's Famous Italian Hoagies (located in reading terminal market, a very busy place) http://www.yelp.com/biz/carmens-famous-italian-hoagies-philadelphia
Ishkabibbles (located on south street) http://philacheesesteak.com/
Jim's Steaks (the one on south street) http://www.jimssteaks.com/SouthStreet.html

Out of those three, Jim's has a really long line and isn't that much better than the other two for how long you have to wait.
Carmen's is good, but the reading terminal market is busy and crowded and makes it hard to find even if you have been there before
Ishkabibbles is my personal favorite and won majority vote in the group I was in. The meat is high quality and the seasoning is great. Also try the 'gremlin' drink. (an interesting concoction of grape and lemonade).

Whichever you go to is great. But make sure you go to the Franklin Fountain (http://www.franklinfountain.com/) on 2nd street and market. Some of the best hand made ice cream you will ever have, they also have the oldest working soda fountain in the country I believe. So make sure to order a Phosphate while there. (Cash only)

EDIT: I think the bigger debate about cheesesteaks isn't where the best ones are, but what to put on them. The classic is Cheese Wiz and Onions and thats it, which is what I stick to when I go for one. But if you prefer something different than your favorite place will most likely differ.
post #387 of 618 Old 10-08-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't remember, but if I had to guess it may have been red??

There is a red/maroon label. That one is my favorite as well. The blue and brownish ones, not as much.

post #388 of 618 Old 10-08-2012, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are we crossing any of them higher then 80Hz? If not, perhaps the sweep should be 5-80 instead.

I cross my Caps over at 100hz - they seem to like it as it has measured best this way. tongue.gif

Quote:

Thanks for the tips

I can't imagine the Best western at Concordville Inn is a bad spot either. While I've never stayed there (obviously) i haven't heard anything bad?

Quote:

LOL, the great Cheesesteak debate!! Jims is one of my favorites and then probably Pat's, but everybody has a favorite.

X2 for Jim's on South St, my personal favorite as well. Talk of the town on Broad street is also great. Can't go wrong with a tony Lukes product, although they are a bit more 'commercial'.
post #389 of 618 Old 10-08-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just finished doing a tour with a group of 20 people of all the best cheesesteak places 2 days ago on saturday (we call it cheesesteak day, this was year 6 in a row for me attending). We hit up 10 different places touted to be the best steaks..... ending at the Franklin Fountain.
While Pat's and Geno's are definitely the famous places to go and has the whole experience, they are some of the worst tasting cheesesteaks in the city.
The big winners this year (and almost every year) were:
Carmen's Famous Italian Hoagies (located in reading terminal market, a very busy place) http://www.yelp.com/biz/carmens-famous-italian-hoagies-philadelphia
Ishkabibbles (located on south street) http://philacheesesteak.com/
Jim's Steaks (the one on south street) http://www.jimssteaks.com/SouthStreet.html
Out of those three, Jim's has a really long line and isn't that much better than the other two for how long you have to wait.
Carmen's is good, but the reading terminal market is busy and crowded and makes it hard to find even if you have been there before
Ishkabibbles is my personal favorite and won majority vote in the group I was in. The meat is high quality and the seasoning is great. Also try the 'gremlin' drink. (an interesting concoction of grape and lemonade).
Whichever you go to is great. But make sure you go to the Franklin Fountain (http://www.franklinfountain.com/) on 2nd street and market. Some of the best hand made ice cream you will ever have, they also have the oldest working soda fountain in the country I believe. So make sure to order a Phosphate while there. (Cash only)
EDIT: I think the bigger debate about cheesesteaks isn't where the best ones are, but what to put on them. The classic is Cheese Wiz and Onions and thats it, which is what I stick to when I go for one. But if you prefer something different than your favorite place will most likely differ.
I did not want to say it, but I really don't think that Philly Cheestakes are really that great, personally I think they are better down here at the shore. I have a few gems around here that IMO are way better than Philly. No offense to anyone, I have not had em all, but from what I have had, I just prefer them here. Jim's is probably the closest thing to what I am used to, so that is why I prefer Jim's when in town. However I have never heard of the Franklin Fountain? That sounds pretty good, I mean just what I need tying to shed some weight, a Pumpkin sundae, but man I want one!!
post #390 of 618 Old 10-08-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:

I did not want to say it, but I really don't think that Philly Cheestakes are really that great, personally I think they are better down here at the shore. I have a few gems around here that IMO are way better than Philly. No offense to anyone. Jim's is probably the closest thing to what I am used to, so that is why I prefer Jim's when in town. However I have never heard of the Franklin Fountain? That sounds pretty good, I mean just what I need tying to shed some weight, a Pumpkin sundae, but man I want one!!

Franklin Fountain: Portions are large, though it is expensive ( again stressing the cash only). Everything is authentic, from the decor to the belt run ceiling fans, including the soda jerk's uniforms. Currently they have a bit of a halloween theme going and even decorated their Benjamin Franklin Bust to be Benjamin Franklinstein.

If you're going to go there, maple walnut is my favorite flavor..... Milkshakes are made in old fashioned machines and take a long time, consider that your warning. Sundays, Cones, and Phosphates is what you want.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page