NE PA/NY/NJ/DE/MD/VA GTG - Take Two! - Page 16 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which date works for you? Please vote only once.
Saturday, September 15th 5 33.33%
Saturday, October 13th 3 20.00%
Saturday, October 20th 7 46.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 618 Old 10-10-2012, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

UPDATE - I just spoke with Chad and he is sending me a replacement amp ASAP for my empire. I *should* have it ready to rock in the upstairs setup for next weekend. biggrin.gif
This would be the smart thing to do - I'm also considering. Thankfully with my Amazon prime I can wait and procrastinate. biggrin.gif
Also - I forgot to mention I have an Energy S10.3 sitting around that I was planning on using in my garage. Obviously I'm not going to include it in the lineup, but I may hook it up in the garage if anyone's interested in checking it out.
I'll give it a listen. I would like to compare my Bic F12 to this for a review to the guys that ask for a comparison of the two. As I said, I will cram what I can in the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 618 Old 10-10-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 888
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100 View Post

Am I the only sissy thinking about getting these? We are looking at a bunch of time up over 100db. I think I'm going to get some.
Archaea, have you used them? Is it just a db reduction with no impact on sound quality?
It's weird sometimes that page claims 20db drop and other times it claims 12, I think I want 12.

This will be my first full blown HT GTG Sub SPL onslought, so I'm going to tough it out... I might change my tune after 12 hours of constant bass, but (as the avatar states) I have an addiction... We'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

This is going to be a great time regardless!
EDIT: Swapped the sub order recommendation per dstew's request. Any other order recommendations?

Yeaaaah, I'm super excited.

I like the line up approach. Honestly, I'll really be shocked if the Def Tech can out preform the the FV15HP. I'm talking...that will be a real eye opener, especially that I was considering purchasing one to replace it before I was convinced to go DIY.
post #453 of 618 Old 10-10-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 330
if people want earplugs i can bring like an entire box of the chea foam ones
post #454 of 618 Old 10-10-2012, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I'll give it a listen. I would like to compare my Bic F12 to this for a review to the guys that ask for a comparison of the two. As I said, I will cram what I can in the truck.

If you dont want to play tetris an people really want to hear a Bic F12 or Epik legend i can bring both. but that just makes the list really large again
post #455 of 618 Old 10-10-2012, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:

Am I the only sissy thinking about getting these? We are looking at a bunch of time up over 100db. I think I'm going to get some.

Heck no, you aren't the only one. I've been using those exact same ear plugs for years, because I go to a ton of concerts. I had every intention of bringing mine, just in case this turned into an SPL contest.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #456 of 618 Old 10-10-2012, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:

I don't think the goal here is massive SPL contest, but it is fun to cut them loose on occasion and show the mettle their made of.

I agree; the occasional foray into kidney-pulverizing territory might be a lot of fun, but I'd rather get the full essence of each sub instead of simply trying to knock Andrews new bass traps off the wall. tongue.gif

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #457 of 618 Old 10-10-2012, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I think SPL contests are stupid, I would rather keep my hearing. The quality at high-ish volumes is what I find important. There is audiophile loud, and then there is just plain extreme. I don't want my equipment ran at the extreme end, I would like to take it home in working order smile.gif
post #458 of 618 Old 10-10-2012, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Check this song out ---- found it on a youtube binge just now. My projector screen wall is shaking insanely... This might be my new reference track to impress my visitors. eek.gif Not just shaking but seemingly visibly sliding! It's like blurred vision...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXiVhjgxsU0
Rush you must add a section of this one. wink.gif This track alone will seperate the men from the boys...

That clip is friggin awesome. Reminds me of a lot of the songs on the bass track internet radio station.
post #459 of 618 Old 10-10-2012, 08:23 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:

JimWilson:
+++Scene 10 of Underworld Awakening -- I'd like to suggest the elevator uzzi and the explosion instead -- footsteps we have on the balrog in LOTR, and I have the other two clips ready made.
+++stampede in 10,000 BC I don't have this movie
part in Ironman where he's walking out of the cave - check
ship battle in Master And Commander - check
The Games in Tron - I have the bike race clip
Balrog Yelling on Bridge in LOTR - check
Ring Drop in LOTR - This isn't as impressive on high end subs as it is on low end. The note doesn't extend into the 20hz register -- it stops at about 30hz and compared to the other clips its a bit disappointing IMO. But I think I can get it off the scubasteve disc. We used at the 2011 Husker Omaha meet and most ever sub sounded similar because there's not much below 30hz.
Archaea: -- check on all of mine
The Art of Flight has a fantastic ball dropping dolby digital demo clip
The John Mayer Concert disk is great for bass drums
I love The Incredible Hulk (2008) growl and smash when they run down the street at each other and collide/tackle in air and there is an energy wave that wipes out the sign.
underworld awakening clip - uzzi elevator and explosion
Live Free Die Hard 4 with the apartment scene
scene in pulse where she goes into the server room and the sound is well...pulsing. Fantastic and brutal on a sub.
Sibuna:
Tron - Games or when he is picked up when first getting to the Grid, Id recomend the later - I've got a couple Tron clips - I think I can get the first transported to games clip off a scubasteve disc, but not sure if it's necessary with some of the other tron clips we have including ships sound, club, games
Kung-fu Panda - Skadoosh - check
War of the Worlds - Pod Emerge - check
realjetavenger:
THX movie trailer clip of Amazing Life or Cavalcade? http://www.thx.com/consumer/movies - Check
lip from Iron Man when the fire the jericho missle - Check
any time in Iron Man 2 when they are landing (especially toward the end when it is Iron Man and his buddy in the other suit going against the army of robot iron men). - I think I can grab this one off the scubasteve disc
bass portion of the scubasteve demo disc (Rush is downloading this currently) - I've got both scubasteve discs and the superleo disc - what did you have in mind?
ironhead1230:
+++LOTR:FOTR ??? what time stamp here --- still need some info on this one
MIkeDuke:
TRON - transported to the grid/part of the light cycle race - check for the light cycle race and I think transported portion too
WOTW- street rumble to emergence of pod - check
HTTYD - Big dragon breaks through the mountain - check --- excellent choice
Star Trek- Warp Jump. Space jump, Vulcan implodes --- check - but not sure why this is a fav?
+++TDK firing that gun, big chase scene -- need some more info? What is this?
Live Free or Die Hard Apt shoot out, "send the gas"- check -- excellent scene

It looks like you already got most of the video clips that I was going to recommend from the scubasteve demo disc v2 (like master & commander, httyd, wotw pod emergence, etc).
The only ones left (at least that I didn't see) are the Cloverfield scene (where the monster knocks the head off the statue of liberty @ about the 2:00 minute mark) Flight of the Phoenix (during the plane crash especially at the 2:00 mark until the end) and Inception from :42 secs until the end. (All the time stamps are from the demo disc, not the actual movie bd's themselves.)

I've played the various clips on that disc more than the actual movies themselves. Yeah, I have issues. Whatever.
post #460 of 618 Old 10-11-2012, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

I like the line up approach. Honestly, I'll really be shocked if the Def Tech can out preform the the FV15HP. I'm talking...that will be a real eye opener, especially that I was considering purchasing one to replace it before I was convinced to go DIY.

We can probably make a few final tweaks to the list on Friday night, but I think as long as we keep the single subs together and their ascending "somewhat" in terms of cost/output it should be a fair comparison. I'd expect the FV15HP to have a bit more output overall than the Reference sub - especially in the midrange region as I've experienced from owning my Trinity, but we will see.

Quote:

Probably not a bad idea to start out with the Energy sub as a baseline to get a feel for the room. I'm telling you guys now, the room is hungry for bass. biggrin.gif If you're already bringing the dual XV15 and potentially the Outlaw, I'd say bringing ANOTHER sub is probably out of the question, hah.
post #461 of 618 Old 10-11-2012, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looks like I'll be receiving our "Demo" PSA XS15 tomorrow sometime according to Fedex. Tom is sending me one to play with beforehand to make sure it's in full working order before the meet, should be a fun weekend. biggrin.gif
post #462 of 618 Old 10-11-2012, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

If you've got them handy, this might be a good idea! cool.gif
post #463 of 618 Old 10-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Quote:

If you've got them handy, this might be a good idea! cool.gif

I can understand people wanting to wear earplugs - but while evaluating speakers?

Please save a pair for me. eek.gifbiggrin.gif

-- Bill --
post #464 of 618 Old 10-11-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:

Archaea, have you used them? Is it just a db reduction with no impact on sound quality?
It's weird sometimes that page claims 20db drop and other times it claims 12, I think I want 12.
Never consider being a sissy to protect your health and well being. I remember years ago in my party days I went out to a shore bar to see a fantastic local band that plays in the summers here. I was sitting by one of the speakers that night for quite a few hours and the next day I was completely deaf. It took several days to regain my hearing. I don't foresee that here, but certainly would not hurt to protect your hearing. Everyone is different.
post #465 of 618 Old 10-11-2012, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by realjetavenger View Post

Quote:

JimWilson:
+++Scene 10 of Underworld Awakening -- I'd like to suggest the elevator uzzi and the explosion instead -- footsteps we have on the balrog in LOTR, and I have the other two clips ready made.
+++stampede in 10,000 BC I don't have this movie
part in Ironman where he's walking out of the cave - check
ship battle in Master And Commander - check
The Games in Tron - I have the bike race clip
Balrog Yelling on Bridge in LOTR - check
Ring Drop in LOTR - This isn't as impressive on high end subs as it is on low end. The note doesn't extend into the 20hz register -- it stops at about 30hz and compared to the other clips its a bit disappointing IMO. But I think I can get it off the scubasteve disc. We used at the 2011 Husker Omaha meet and most ever sub sounded similar because there's not much below 30hz.
Archaea: -- check on all of mine
The Art of Flight has a fantastic ball dropping dolby digital demo clip
The John Mayer Concert disk is great for bass drums
I love The Incredible Hulk (2008) growl and smash when they run down the street at each other and collide/tackle in air and there is an energy wave that wipes out the sign.
underworld awakening clip - uzzi elevator and explosion
Live Free Die Hard 4 with the apartment scene
scene in pulse where she goes into the server room and the sound is well...pulsing. Fantastic and brutal on a sub.
Sibuna:
Tron - Games or when he is picked up when first getting to the Grid, Id recomend the later - I've got a couple Tron clips - I think I can get the first transported to games clip off a scubasteve disc, but not sure if it's necessary with some of the other tron clips we have including ships sound, club, games
Kung-fu Panda - Skadoosh - check
War of the Worlds - Pod Emerge - check
realjetavenger:
THX movie trailer clip of Amazing Life or Cavalcade? http://www.thx.com/consumer/movies - Check
lip from Iron Man when the fire the jericho missle - Check
any time in Iron Man 2 when they are landing (especially toward the end when it is Iron Man and his buddy in the other suit going against the army of robot iron men). - I think I can grab this one off the scubasteve disc
bass portion of the scubasteve demo disc (Rush is downloading this currently) - I've got both scubasteve discs and the superleo disc - what did you have in mind?
ironhead1230:
+++LOTR:FOTR ??? what time stamp here --- still need some info on this one
MIkeDuke:
TRON - transported to the grid/part of the light cycle race - check for the light cycle race and I think transported portion too
WOTW- street rumble to emergence of pod - check
HTTYD - Big dragon breaks through the mountain - check --- excellent choice
Star Trek- Warp Jump. Space jump, Vulcan implodes --- check - but not sure why this is a fav?
+++TDK firing that gun, big chase scene -- need some more info? What is this?
Live Free or Die Hard Apt shoot out, "send the gas"- check -- excellent scene

It looks like you already got most of the video clips that I was going to recommend from the scubasteve demo disc v2 (like master & commander, httyd, wotw pod emergence, etc).
The only ones left (at least that I didn't see) are the Cloverfield scene (where the monster knocks the head off the statue of liberty @ about the 2:00 minute mark) Flight of the Phoenix (during the plane crash especially at the 2:00 mark until the end) and Inception from :42 secs until the end. (All the time stamps are from the demo disc, not the actual movie bd's themselves.)

I've played the various clips on that disc more than the actual movies themselves. Yeah, I have issues. Whatever.

Final List of what I got done ---- is the above list

minus these
Ironman Cave Exit ---- I do have bunches of ironman clips, but my scubasteve1 disk isn't reading in my computer for some reason, and I don't have time to make it off my full bluray disc

Ring Drop in LOTR - same as above

Tron Entrance to Game - same as above

IronMan 2 suit - I thougt this was on the scubasteve disc, but it doesn't seem to be. I dont' own IronMan 2 Bluray.

However, I did get these for realjetavenger
Cloverfield
Inception Courtyard -- that's the only Inception clip I have. I have the movie, but didn't get around to making another clip

Some of the ScubaSteve tracks I shortened. Some I didn't. Many of these I made myself from scratch of the disks, a few others have given me. I've got a TON more than what was requested, and I apologize I don't have all that were requested, but I'm out of time. Both my girls were sick last night, and tonight, and my family is preparing to fly out tomorrow at 6AM. So what I've got is pretty final. I'll be mailing a copy of the disk with the clips to Rush tomorrow. I may trim down a couple longer clips a bit further with tsMuxer, but that's time dependant since I'm in an intense class next week and don't know how much after hours study I'll have.

At current the movie clips I have are still WAY too long. 30 minutes and 2 seconds with out of the 23 clips. We'll have to cut out a few as is. Prolly 15 or 20 minutes worth is more legit. I'll work on shortening the longer ones as I can, and overwrite Rush's copy on Friday night before the meet.

ugh ---- that's a mess to read....How about this:

Here is the list of requested clips I have working and available at this very moment and the ones I'm actually sending to Rush tomorrow through USPS:

Battle LA - HumVee in Tunnel - 49 seconds (chain gun)
Cloverfield - Statue of Liberty head - 3:05 (thump -- needs to be trimmed)
Dolby Digital - Ball Bounce - 24 seconds (balls bounce to bass)
Flight of the Phoenix - 1:33 (most impressive plane crash bass)
How to Train your Dragon - 1:23 (Massive Dragon breaks through cliff and breaths flame)
Hulk - Cop Car Smash - 2:00 (full of 15hz bass)
Inception - Courtyard - 49 seconds (odd sounding popping sound bass)
IronMan - Jericho Missles - 37 seconds (15-20hz rumbling bass)
John Mayer - Waiting on the World to Change Concert - 1:04 (fantastic kick drums & bass guitar)
Kung Fu Panda - Skadoosh - 47 seconds (sub killer explosion)
Live Free or Die Hard - Apt Scene - 3:27 (fantastic weapon fire, explosion)
LOTR - Balrog - 1:38 (monster roar)
Master and Commander - Cannon Fire - 44 seconds (dvd version - impressive depth)
Pulse - server room pulse - 1:03 (one of the only movies I've ever seen with a LFE damage warning)
Star Trek - Ship Destroyed - 4:26 (needs to be shortened - this is the scubasteve version)
The Dark Night - bullet forensic - 21 seconds (dynamics)
THX Amazing Life Trailer - 44 seconds (fantastic LFE demonstration)
Transformers 3 - Hwy Scene - 59 seconds (descending bass sweeps)
Tron Games - fireworks and light cycle race - 6:40 (way too long - shorten?)
Underworld Awakening - Elevevator Explosion - 24 seconds (great for ported subs)
Underworld Awakening - Uzzi Fire - 33 seconds (great for sealed subs)
WOTW - Pod Emergence - 2:40 (the grand-daddy of all high end subwoofer clips!)

I have scads more clips --- but these match the general requests that I've seen. If you don't see what you want on here. Chance that I have it in my other 40 or so subwoofer clips not mentioned - or make it and send it to Rush.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #466 of 618 Old 10-12-2012, 01:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

Never consider being a sissy to protect your health and well being. I remember years ago in my party days I went out to a shore bar to see a fantastic local band that plays in the summers here. I was sitting by one of the speakers that night for quite a few hours and the next day I was completely deaf. It took several days to regain my hearing. I don't foresee that here, but certainly would not hurt to protect your hearing. Everyone is different.

+1 well said, agreed. I did order a pair of those flatish frequency response plugs. Listening to greatness makes me wanna hear well. They do not measure totally flat, but they look better than my room and pretty close.

How Ironic the quest can become, if done without wisdom it will achieve greatness and take away what you seek at the same time. Damage the hearing in this quest, you hear how well your systems sounds even less. Folks debate amps and wires with teeth showing to the death, when speakers and treatments matter huge (measurably and identifiably by individuals listening with our human hearing) while the former... Optimize the room, the treatments, the placement, and the speakers, If your ears are FUBAR... Well, I'm still going to strive for a better sounding system, but...

Not sure if others read up on those recommended plugs vs the foam/cheaper plugs. The foam ones do a great job at higher frequencies but do not block the lows so well (non-flat frequency reduction). Since they do not block very evenly, it starts messing up how things sound.

I'd rather not see this become SPL madness as well. But at the same time, if I am in need of CPR, time to hook up some dual JTRs or Seatons over reference!! I'll be just fine.
post #467 of 618 Old 10-12-2012, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Heard from shifler123 and he will be bringing his DIY Dayton 15s as well. cool.gif
post #468 of 618 Old 10-13-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

post #469 of 618 Old 10-13-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

When it comes to ear plugs I have more than most. Some are (soft) silicon and claim 25.1 db reduction at 125 Hz; some are foam and claim 29 db noise reduction when used properly; lastly, I have 3M Tekk disposable earplugs claiming 32 db noise reduction, (these come in bright colors which might draw attention to you).

I will bring some, but not all of them, my hearing sucks already. wink.gif
post #470 of 618 Old 10-13-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

supplies
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

midas touch!

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #471 of 618 Old 10-14-2012, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jonathan (Archaea) stopped over this evening for a few on his way to his hotel. Unfortunately he caught me while the house was in a disastrous state but oh well it was fun. biggrin.gif

So i've spent at least 15-20 hours this weekend getting the house/basement ready and I've still got a long way to go. I did get to spend a little bit of time testing though this afternoon. A little teaser - got my bass traps installed in the front corner and ran a quick sweep with the PSA XS15 - check this out - NO eq or Audyssey (yet)!

PSAxs15noeqafterbasstraps_zps587f8a9e.jpg

XS15 pics:

IMG_0767.jpg
IMG_0768.jpg
IMG_0769.jpg
IMG_0770.jpg
post #472 of 618 Old 10-14-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

supplies

NOM! Looks delicious. Can't wait to see what kind of selections we come up with this weekend. tongue.gif
post #473 of 618 Old 10-15-2012, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

Jonathan (Archaea) stopped over this evening for a few on his way to his hotel. Unfortunately he caught me while the house was in a disastrous state but oh well it was fun. biggrin.gif
So i've spent at least 15-20 hours this weekend getting the house/basement ready and I've still got a long way to go. I did get to spend a little bit of time testing though this afternoon. A little teaser - got my bass traps installed in the front corner and ran a quick sweep with the PSA XS15 - check this out - NO eq or Audyssey (yet)!
PSAxs15noeqafterbasstraps_zps587f8a9e.jpg
Looks pretty good with no EQ. My room is so small that I had a huge peak that needed to be tamed with an EQ. But after EQ I am pretty flat to probably below 10Hz. Looking forward to this coming Sat. I hope I will be able to hang around long enough to listen to the Captivator subs. But it should be a fun day no the less.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #474 of 618 Old 10-15-2012, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

your room appears to have fantastic ulf gain...

basically flat to 10hz.....and not down much to 7hz with a single 15" sealed driver? and no external eq!!! eek.gif

that modeling makes mktheater's room jealous. tongue.gif

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #475 of 618 Old 10-15-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Some people are just lucky. Here is my non eq response way back when Mark first installed the sub(SubMersive). This is with no treatments either. Check out that mountain at 45 Hz eek.gif

Now I am much better and much flatter thanks to the SMS-1 and Audyessy EQ and treatments.
462b66cc_vbattach207377.jpeg 116k .jpeg file

r.
61db1d36_vbattach199355.jpeg 88k .jpeg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 61db1d36_vbattach199355.jpeg (88.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpeg 462b66cc_vbattach207377.jpeg (115.7 KB, 7 views)

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #476 of 618 Old 10-15-2012, 08:04 PM

Ok everyone, I am finalizing the playback of the media.

See the following image:

The Parametric EQ plugin allows us to adjust the crossover frequency of all the media at once. (No entering the settings menu on the receiver)

In the image, the top right spectrograph is what left+right are playing.

Both Channels are mixed and sent to the subwoofer track. The EQ plugin cuts all the highs from whatever we set it at (quickly adjustable) and generates the large spectrograph. This is sent directly to the subwoofer.

For this to work, setting the front speakers to Full-Range and no crossover defined will get the perfect output.
This allows us to use a frequency monitor (such as the omnimic) and adjust the crossover quickly. We can also single out the subwoofer track if we want to check levels on the subs.

I know this is confusing, I will probably end up doing a demo of what we can do with this setup in the morning on Saturday (and probably for the dry run on Friday). This is a professional piece of software and we are using it for a very specialized purpose, but it will meet and surpass our needs.
post #477 of 618 Old 10-16-2012, 12:42 AM

Here is an update:

I have all the movie content added. It is all assigned to the correct channels currently. (Making an alternate channel mapped to 2.1 version next)

I used "eac3to" to extract the audio content in lossless form (from the clips Archaea sent me). It is all stored as individual wav files for each channel currently (no plans to change this).

See photo for the somewhat final layout with labels added for clarity.

I will post a rough mp3 file of the mix when I get to work tomorrow (Faster connection) as the file is 162 MB in size. With small gaps between movie clips we are looking at about 49 minutes and twelve seconds of content. We obviously need to cut a few down in size/ cut out the fluff, and perhaps remove the less desirable.
post #478 of 618 Old 10-16-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

i'm not gonna be able to bring earplugs, apperently i only have 1 box left and its mostly empty, not sure how that happened, wont have time to order more before the weekend.
post #479 of 618 Old 10-16-2012, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2049 View Post

Ok everyone, I am finalizing the playback of the media.

The Parametric EQ plugin allows us to adjust the crossover frequency of all the media at once. (No entering the settings menu on the receiver)

In the image, the top right spectrograph is what left+right are playing.

Both Channels are mixed and sent to the subwoofer track. The EQ plugin cuts all the highs from whatever we set it at (quickly adjustable) and generates the large spectrograph. This is sent directly to the subwoofer.

For this to work, setting the front speakers to Full-Range and no crossover defined will get the perfect output.
This allows us to use a frequency monitor (such as the omnimic) and adjust the crossover quickly. We can also single out the subwoofer track if we want to check levels on the subs.

I know this is confusing, I will probably end up doing a demo of what we can do with this setup in the morning on Saturday (and probably for the dry run on Friday). This is a professional piece of software and we are using it for a very specialized purpose, but it will meet and surpass our needs.

Hi Rush,

Would you be able to make sure we have a playlist available with just the original format (DTS-MA, DD, etc)? Having calibrated and set up many systems, inserting the computer as more than just a source can make things complicated quickly. For the most part this is a non-issue for personal playback, but when all of us are comparing to what we hear when we pop a disk into another system, it becomes an issue. The first potential problem in your description above is how the LFE track would be handled. Cinema and consumer gear apply the 10dB boost at different points in the playback chain and having been bit by this issue before making for very disappointing results if this isn't accounted for correctly.

I believe we already have a MiniDSP available, and I'll be bringing a DCX-2496 which we can quickly adjust for EQ on the subwoofer only, not having to make any adjustments to the receiver's setup. This setup also means that if some one wants to play a few things at any time in the day, we still have a fully functional system to throw a BluRay or CD into.
Archaea likes this.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #480 of 618 Old 10-16-2012, 07:31 PM

Yes, the eq filter redirected to the lfe channel is disabled with the click of a button. I understand your concerns and am able to play back just the channels directly with no handling or filtering of the channels at all (with an appropriate crossover on the receiver it will be perfect).

The extracted channels are bit perfect to the m2ts files. I demuxed using tsmuxer and extracted using eac3to both garentee the same quality that would be achieved playing back the original discs or the clips extracted from them.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page