AVS Forum banner

Which date works for you? Please vote only once.

• Saturday, September 15th

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Saturday, October 13th

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Saturday, October 20th

Votes: 7 46.7%

NE PA/NY/NJ/DE/MD/VA GTG - Take Two!

42K views 617 replies 50 participants last post by  basshead81 
#1 ·
 Link to the results thread.

OK - It's about time we got serious about replanning this event. This is a continuation of the original thread posted late last year. Since I'm redoing my basement setup, I'll volunteer to host this time. The details

Date: now set to Saturday, October 20th. Start time 9:30 AM. End time? When we're done.

Location: My place in Thornton, PA. Further details to follow as the date approaches. I'm in a relatively convenient location from I-95, 295, 495, Route 1, etc. To give some perspective, I'm 25 minutes Southwest of the Philadelphia airport, an hour and a half from Baltimore, 2 hours from NYC, and 2.5 hours from DC.

Food: Update: I'll ask for a nominal $10.00 donationfor any member attending to cover lunch and snacks for the day. Anything over this I will cover.

BYO for the beverages of your choice.
I will have a few cases of beer handy as well as well as most mixed drink stuff at the bar.

Stuff for sale:I know I ALWAYS have some equipment I need to sell, so if any others are in the same category, feel free to bring it. Swap meets are fun.

Room:The viewing/listening area is 13x22x8 (open) in my basement. Just behind this area is the bar area which is another 19x22x8 so we should have ample room for a good crew. The floors are concrete of course and there is a drop ceiling. Just an FYI it is NOT a dedicated theater but it should serve quite well for some informal listening sessions.

More info: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1428456/gorilla83s-humble-basement-hangout

In addition, if there is interest, I could set up a music only setup upstairs. The room is a bit larger, but would probably serve nicely for this purpose.

Additional:It is not mandatory that you bring any equipment with you. I will however ask that you share your thoughts/opinions with the online community after the event so that all can benefit.

Equipment:

Receiver/processor: Denon 4311ci

Testing equipment: Laptop/omnimic

Current main speaker inventory

CHT SHO-10

Definitive Technology BP30

Definitive Technology BP7002

Definitive Technology BP2002

Magnepan MMG

Current amps

Acurus 200x3

EP4000 (fan modded)

Crown XLS5000

Projector: Epson 8700UB

Screen: Jamestown Custom 120" Matte White

Electric: 2 x 20A dedicated circuits, 1X20A shared circuit.

Details of testing: Movie/Music clips to follow. Looking at 30-40 minutes of listening time for each sub as well as 15-20 minutes of setup.

Per Ironmike's suggestion, we will probably be doing some basic sweeps of each sub at the LP prior to the demo session.

EDIT: As of 9/10/12 we are at capacity for the event. As members confirm/unconfirm we may free up some space.

Should be a blast and look forward to meeting alot of you guys.

Confirmed attendees - List is CLOSED for now:

1) Gorilla83 (Andrew) - Passive JTR Captivators powered by a Crown XLS5000

2) Spyboy - Arthur, Montgomery county, PA, SVS 20-39 PCi CONFIRMED

3) ironhead1230 (Mike) - Seaton submersive hp, Seaton submersive F2, 120 minute IPA! CONFIRMED

4) Bone215 - Beer/food CONFIRMED

5) Mark Seaton from Seaton Sound - Catalyst 8C x 3, Submersive HP CONFIRMED

6) pennynike1 ?

7) Reefdvr27 - Dual PSA XV15's, CONFIRMED

8) MIkeDuke - CONFIRMED

9) raehza ? - Hsu VTF15H

10) Archaea CONFIRMED

11) jclif77 ?

12) realjetavenger - Rythmik E15, plus guest. CONFIRMED

13) Pianist718 ?

14) popalock - VA, LMS5400, FP14000Q clone amp, Definitive Supercube, iNuke6000? CONFIRMED

15) rush2049 - Hsu ULS-15, KRK powered monitors, test/demo CD for audio- Ben CONFIRMED

16) JimWilson - Jim, NW New Jersey, Warren County area PSA XS-15, Case of magic hat, water CONFIRMED

17) mmiles? Tannoy Sub15

18) Ryansboston? Arx A5 towers. PS3 and SACDsCONFIRMED

19) Mac.Concierge - Joe, Staten Island - Music/Bluray collection CONFIRMED

20) dstew100- David, Virginia Beach. Fv15hp, pulled pork CONFIRMED

21) Sibuna - Western NY, music clips CONFIRMED

22) rx-8 - Bill, Toronto, plus guest, CONFIRMED

23) shifler123 - John from Wilmington, DE, Dual custom MFW-15s CONFIRMED

24) Jeff P from JTR - Noesis speakers CONFIRMED

UPDATE -

t looks like we have 9-10 different CONFIRMED sub setups. Since we already have a heck of a lineup and one of my amps went bad,I'm going to pull my empires out of the main demo area and leave them upstairs. They will be available for demo'ing though with the main speaker setups though if you want to listen.

JTR Captivator Passive Pair / Crown XLS5000

Seaton submersive hp / Seaton submersive F2

2x LMS5400 / LG clone and/or iNuke6000 amp

Dual PSA XV15's

DIY Dayton 15's

Rythmik Fv15hp

Rythmik E15

Definitive Supercube Reference

Hsu ULS-15

PSA XS-15

SVS 20-39 PCi

Possibles -

raehza - Hsu VTF15H - haven't heard from him yet as far as a confirmation

In the interest of time, we will likely have to audition some of the speaker setups in parallel with the subwoofers. I have a feeling some will need a break from listening to those sub clips so many times anyway.

Main speaker setup

Seaton Catylst 8C main stage (LCR) / Definitive BPX surrounds

Upstairs - paired with my Epik Empire / Yamaha Receiver / Acurus A200x3 amp

KRK powered monitors

Arx A5 towers

JTR Noesis

Here is the living room area:

Thanks guys,

Andrew

aschutsky@verizon.net

See less See more
#502 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock  /t/1420544/ne-pa-ny-nj-de-md-va-gtg-take-two/480#post_22503091

Ugh...I've been feeling the pressure for sure.

My boxes suck so bad I'm actually headed to HD right now to pick up some MDF to try to rebuild before the meet...

Wish me luck.

Dude.....awesome. That's something I would totally do, haha. Best of luck, I'm sure they will sound great but don't kill yourself in the process.

#503 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83  /t/1420544/ne-pa-ny-nj-de-md-va-gtg-take-two/480#post_22504054

We are going to try our best to start right at 9:30 sharp. There is no telling what can or will come up during the day, but we did plan on demo'ing in ascending order according to approximate price/SPL capability which will put the LMS, Caps, and submersives later in the day. If we stick to schedule strictly, hopefully they will come at a reasonable time.
Understood. I just wanted to make sure.

#504 ·
popalock ----

Is this enough time for your wood glue and silicon seals to cure? 48 hours on the glue right for maximum strength?

Rush may not have been kidding with his box exploding comment.

I'm not sure what your old boxes look like (is it a cosmetic issue you are worried about?) - but I'm sure the group would take the sound of ugly instead of broke.

#505 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51  /t/1420544/ne-pa-ny-nj-de-md-va-gtg-take-two/400_100#post_22503616

Better you two than me!

Good luck Austin. Make sure not to disappoint the entire DIY community.

Lol… Killing me man. I guess I totally deserve it because I was always hounding you’re a$$ to get your second pair of up and running as well… Don’t make me revive your thread to get everyone riled up about the next pair you are thinking about getting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea  /t/1420544/ne-pa-ny-nj-de-md-va-gtg-take-two/500_100#post_22504111

popalock ----

Is this enough time for your wood glue and silicon seals to cure? 48 hours on the glue right for maximum strength?

Rush may not have been kidding with his box exploding comment.

I'm not sure what your old boxes look like (is it a cosmetic issue you are worried about?) - but I'm sure the group would take the sound of ugly instead of broke.

I'm building one new box for the meet. So you guys will get to see one in my current wooly mammoth un-braced disgrace of a box (4.2cuft) and the other one in the new fully braced mdf box (2.1cuft). You guys will see what I am talking about, and why I wanted to build a new box, when you see the un-braced box rocking violently like it is trying to tip over on its face... The current boxes work, I just feel like the lack of rigidity is taking away from its performance. If the new box blows up, at least we will have one LMS to play with…

Plus this just lights a fire under me to get the boxes built sooner than later... Guess I have to thank you guys for the motivation.

#507 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83  /t/1420544/ne-pa-ny-nj-de-md-va-gtg-take-two/500_100#post_22504340

Just a thought - wouldn't it be easier/faster to modify your current box with bracing, etc rather than start from scratch?

I love DIY projects and will for sure be during my own after the meet. Looking forward to discussing ideas with you guys on Saturday!

Easy? What...what is that? =)

Yeah, I've thought about it. But with all of the "lesson's learned" I've taken away from my last build, in addition to all of the other tools I've picked up to help with efficiency, I'm actually looking forward to see how easy it's going to be for me to throw this box together.

I mean, It's going to be a raw box without any type of finishing so I won’t worry too much about it getting dinged up or anything. My only concern at the moment is the box being more than I can handle. To put things in perspective, edogg's boxes are comparable in exterior dimension, but each cabinet (with driver installed) weighs about 200lbs. My current birch boxes (with driver installed) weigh about 110lbs each.

#508 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock  /t/1420544/ne-pa-ny-nj-de-md-va-gtg-take-two/480#post_22504565

Easy? What...what is that? =)

Yeah, I've thought about it. But with all of the "lesson's learned" I've taken away from my last build, in addition to all of the other tools I've picked up to help with efficiency, I'm actually looking forward to see how easy it's going to be for me to throw this box together.

I mean, It's going to be a raw box without any type of finishing so I won’t worry too much about it getting dinged up or anything. My only concern at the moment is the box being more than I can handle. To put things in perspective, edogg's boxes are comparable in exterior dimension, but each cabinet (with driver installed) weighs about 200lbs. My current birch boxes (with driver installed) weigh about 110lbs each.

As for the weight - I know BB weighs quite a bit less than MDF inch for inch, so that could be part of the reason. To put it into perspective, I believe my Caps weigh around ~160lbs each finished - and that's in a (relatively) massive ported box around 8CF.

If you can get them loaded into the Caddy, we will easily be able to help you move them around once you arrive.

#513 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhead1230  /t/1420544/ne-pa-ny-nj-de-md-va-gtg-take-two/510#post_22505652

Was the Friday night time ever finalized? I still don't know if I can leave work early tomorrow, but would like to be there for the initial setup and dry runs.

-Mike

Mike - I'll be around anytime after 3 tomorrow. I know a few guys will be by around 5 or so, so whenever is cool with me.

#517 ·
^^

Wish I am close enough to be there. It gonna be awesome meeting the Avsers and listen/talk about what we love: BASS. Please report back with pictures, videos, opinions, and measurements. I like to know how my newly purchased FV15hp stacks up against others. Thanks.

#519 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys  /t/1420544/ne-pa-ny-nj-de-md-va-gtg-take-two/510#post_22506219

^^

Wish I am close enough to be there. It gonna be awesome meeting the Avsers and listen/talk about what we love: BASS. Please report back with pictures, videos, opinions, and measurements. I like to know how my newly purchased FV15hp stacks up against others. Thanks.

Ooh. Sorry, no cowboys fans allowed within 30 miles of Philly.

#526 ·
The Bears... And rollTideROLLLLLL its good to be on top, and not sucking as bad as usual.

Popalock,

U R The Man rebuilding now.

I'm not the only Engineer in the group but I will say for me, every time I built something significant for the first time, I stepped back and thought, now I'm ready to build it much better. Sometimes they pay to do so and get triple their investment, sometimes not. Agile fixes that sorta thing, but only from a software, non subwoofer box sorta perspective.

Did I tell you U R The man?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.