NE PA/NY/NJ/DE/MD/VA GTG - Take Two! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which date works for you? Please vote only once.
Saturday, September 15th 5 33.33%
Saturday, October 13th 3 20.00%
Saturday, October 20th 7 46.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 618 Old 08-13-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Jim - Do still have access to any of the EbanLee products? It would be great to check them out.

Let me check with Peter and see if he has any interest in either joining or sending me an ELA5 to demo.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 618 Old 08-13-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Let me check with Peter and see if he has any interest in either joining or sending me an ELA5 to demo.

Thanks Jim, that would be great!

Anyone out there with a big ED sub or JL F113's? Too bad I sold my DT Trinity, that would have been fun to compare too.
post #93 of 618 Old 08-13-2012, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would also like to attend. Is it too late to RSVP?

Thanks,

Andy
post #94 of 618 Old 08-13-2012, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njandy View Post

I would also like to attend. Is it too late to RSVP?
Thanks,
Andy

Not at all! We still have a couple months, heh. smile.gif
post #95 of 618 Old 08-13-2012, 07:16 PM

Oh boy this is fun; I would love to attend this event.
Currently I’m looking for dual 15” sub and I'm leaning toward dual VX15 or dual VX30 from Power Sound Audio. Hopefully I have enough funds, and by October, I will have VX30 ready for this event.
post #96 of 618 Old 08-13-2012, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Hey Andrew.

Power Sound Audio wants their name out since they just got started. The owner is a former SV Sound guy. Perhaps it'd be worth an e-mail their direction and see if they want to let you demo a pair of their subs for the meet?

http://www.powersoundaudio.com

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #97 of 618 Old 08-13-2012, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Hey Andrew.
Power Sound Audio wants their name out since they just got started. The owner is a former SV Sound guy. Perhaps it'd be worth an e-mail their direction and see if they want to let you demo a pair of their subs for the meet?
http://www.powersoundaudio.com

Reefdvr has ordered and plans on bringing a pair of xv15s. biggrin.gif
post #98 of 618 Old 08-13-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

nice!

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #99 of 618 Old 08-14-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
WOW it looks like a SVS clone! I wonder if SVS is going to lawyer up...

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #100 of 618 Old 08-14-2012, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

nice!

I also emailed Tom to see if there would be any interest in attending.

Update: Added a non-AVS member and Hsu ULS-15 to the list.
post #101 of 618 Old 08-14-2012, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:

I got an Email from Tom and said I should have them this week!
post #102 of 618 Old 08-14-2012, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Dude, I may have to come check them out. Since I'm moving the caps downstairs i will need a replacement for the living room!
post #103 of 618 Old 08-15-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 71
So it looks like we are going to have 8-9 separate subs(not counting dual subs). That seems good to me since the only sub I have heard on this list is my own SubMersive. I am really looking forward to listening to those other subs on the list. Should be a long fun day biggrin.gif.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #104 of 618 Old 08-16-2012, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

So it looks like we are going to have 8-9 separate subs(not counting dual subs). That seems good to me since the only sub I have heard on this list is my own SubMersive. I am really looking forward to listening to those other subs on the list. Should be a long fun day biggrin.gif.

Agreed! I actually may go look at a (somewhat) local set of subs this weekend, so we might be adding to the list. Stay tuned. biggrin.gif
post #105 of 618 Old 08-16-2012, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I checked last night and I can either fit both a submersive HP and F2 or one submersive and two CAT8Cs in my car. Unfortunately I cannot fit everything. Some have posted they would like to hear some catalysts, so let me know know what everyone wants me to bring.

I may have missed it, but has a start time been decided on yet? Since demo material hasn't been chosen yet, let's try this. For everyone attending, list one music selection (about 30-45 seconds) and one movie selection you would like to hear. It would be easiest if we could get digital clips of each selection so we don't have to change discs for each one. With this many subs, we should probably limit demo time to about 30-45 minutes. Is there enough room somewhere to store all of the subs while they are not being demoed?

For measuring, before we start the demos, I would like to measure multiple seats and locations for a single setup, just to see the differences people will be hearing. And maybe one sweep with nobody in the room and everyone in the room to see if there is any difference. Then for each sub, pick a single location for the mic and do at least a single sweep at around 85db. If there is time and the sub owners are comfortable doing it, do increasing level sweeps until compression. If I get spectrumlab working, I will also take speclab captures of a couple demo scenes, but not all of them.

I'm really looking forward to seeing and hearing all of these subs and to meet some other enthusiasts from the area.

-Mike
post #106 of 618 Old 08-16-2012, 11:14 AM

Liked: 44
I probably want to pick a sample from the "Why so serious?" track on the Dark Knight soundtrack then......

On the sub I am bringing, I have't yet ordered it yet (HSU ULS-15) and now am having second thoughts on to get that or the Rythmik F15HP. My stereo system has a limiter at 30hz, so I really only want to fill in the low notes..... any opinions...... and or, I figure they are both similar in performance, but with different punchiness.... which would you all like to hear come october?
post #107 of 618 Old 08-16-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhead1230 View Post

I checked last night and I can either fit both a submersive HP and F2 or one submersive and two CAT8Cs in my car. Unfortunately I cannot fit everything. Some have posted they would like to hear some catalysts, so let me know know what everyone wants me to bring.
I may have missed it, but has a start time been decided on yet? Since demo material hasn't been chosen yet, let's try this. For everyone attending, list one music selection (about 30-45 seconds) and one movie selection you would like to hear. It would be easiest if we could get digital clips of each selection so we don't have to change discs for each one. With this many subs, we should probably limit demo time to about 30-45 minutes. Is there enough room somewhere to store all of the subs while they are not being demoed?
For measuring, before we start the demos, I would like to measure multiple seats and locations for a single setup, just to see the differences people will be hearing. And maybe one sweep with nobody in the room and everyone in the room to see if there is any difference. Then for each sub, pick a single location for the mic and do at least a single sweep at around 85db. If there is time and the sub owners are comfortable doing it, do increasing level sweeps until compression. If I get spectrumlab working, I will also take speclab captures of a couple demo scenes, but not all of them.
I'm really looking forward to seeing and hearing all of these subs and to meet some other enthusiasts from the area.
-Mike

Mike - good suggestions overall. That's a tough call as to what to bring. Why don't you surprise us, either combination would be fantastic. biggrin.gif

As for a start time, I was thinking between 9:30 and 10:00? We will need a fair amount of time to get through all of the subs. (and even some mains!) I agree to the digital format and to limiting each combination to 30-40 minutes.

Measurements - I'm fine with your proposal and I can help out as I can.

As for room to store, that will not be a problem. The main viewing area is roughly 13x22, behind that is 19x22, a hallway of 4x20 or so, two (closed/sealed) rooms of roughly 14x15 each, and a work room with another 10x12 or so. I'd say we're good. biggrin.gif Don't worry, I have furniture movers so sliding the subs on the carpet shouldn't be too terrible of a task.

Also - Mike I shot you a PM to see if you would be interested in doing a 'dry run' at my place to iron out the details. We could use one of your subs and mine or even just mine for testing purposes. It would be nice to figure out sub placement, measurement locations, etc as well as start to put together some demo material.

Can't wait!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2049 View Post

I probably want to pick a sample from the "Why so serious?" track on the Dark Knight soundtrack then......
On the sub I am bringing, I have't yet ordered it yet (HSU ULS-15) and now am having second thoughts on to get that or the Rythmik F15HP. My stereo system has a limiter at 30hz, so I really only want to fill in the low notes..... any opinions...... and or, I figure they are both similar in performance, but with different punchiness.... which would you all like to hear come october?

Heck, get whichever best suits your needs and room. The Hsu and the Rythmik both seem like very competent subs in that price range. Either of them would be a tremendous asset to an already stout collection of subs for this meet. cool.gif
post #108 of 618 Old 08-16-2012, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhead1230 View Post

-Mike

Hi Mike,

By that time it looks as though Catalyst 8C's won't be as hard to come by. If guys are interested in hearing them and I have some available, I can save you the hassle and risk of excessively handling your own and ship a set out before the meet.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #109 of 618 Old 08-17-2012, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 71
This is turning into a great meet. Maybe Cat 8's and a boat load of subs biggrin.gif. Should be quite the fun day.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #110 of 618 Old 08-17-2012, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

Hi Mike,
By that time it looks as though Catalyst 8C's won't be as hard to come by. If guys are interested in hearing them and I have some available, I can save you the hassle and risk of excessively handling your own and ship a set out before the meet.

Mark - If that would be a possibility, it would be great as it would allow Mike to bring both his SubHP and F2. biggrin.gif Are you interested in attending yourself?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

This is turning into a great meet. Maybe Cat 8's and a boat load of subs biggrin.gif. Should be quite the fun day.

For sure! biggrin.gif

Note
: If anyone is close enough for a short demo/dry run session over some weekend day in the next month, let me know. I PM'd IronMike with this idea, but figured I would extend the idea to a few others as well, if it would be convenient for them. We could limit this session to just my subs (and maybe one or two others) to get a feel for proper sub placement, calibration ideas, movie/music sampling, etc.
post #111 of 618 Old 08-17-2012, 08:40 AM

Liked: 19
Has anyone listened to any of the tracks in this thread?
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1424314/dub-king-presents-the-truth-hz-tracks-that-will-test-the-outer-limits-of-your-system-and-your-subwoofer-s

I have only listened with headphones which cannot reproduce the lower frequencies. But they look to put subs through a workout, especially when looking at the abuse this sub takes in the video in this post:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1424314/dub-king-presents-the-truth-hz-tracks-that-will-test-the-outer-limits-of-your-system-and-your-subwoofer-s#post_22301099

Supposedly there is a thread in the DIY section which has tracks that go even lower and abuse subs even more. Maybe a couple of these tracks we can use for our sample tracks?
Thoughts?

Edit: found the DIY thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1424334/the-truth-hz-your-diy-setup-cant-handle-this-a-compilation-of-infrasonic-music-by-dub-king
post #112 of 618 Old 08-17-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

You have to be careful that you do not damage anyone's subs. ^ From the looks of that thread you are talking about a lot of infrasonics, that can't be heard, but may potentially be felt. If you put the volume control in each owners hand this might be okay, but don't try to employ these tracks in the general music section with volume levels at the same as the other track material unless a strong HPF is employed (which sort of defeats the purpose of these tracks). With caution this could be fun.

Andrew, the Wife and I have been toying with the idea of coming up to visit PA during this timeframe. The lineup is looking better all the time. I am inclined to attend at this point. Just trying to figure out the logistics.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #113 of 618 Old 08-17-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by realjetavenger View Post

I have, and they're brutal! That guy has put some insane bass in those tracks. You want to defile your sub? He's got you covered. I planned on bringing a thumb drive with those tracks on it. Archaea has a point about being careful how much volume you use; without a good limiter they will blow up something.

Quote:

Andrew, the Wife and I have been toying with the idea of coming up to visit PA during this timeframe. The lineup is looking better all the time. I am inclined to attend at this point. Just trying to figure out the logistics.

I'm bringing some #9, so you have to come. I'll save a cold one for you and the misses (well, maybe I'll bring chocolate for the ladies tongue.gif).

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #114 of 618 Old 08-17-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

recruit this philly guy to attend...
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1425054/a-little-help/0_20

especially if he buys this pair of used a7-650 towers on sale in the classified section.

You ever seen the youtube video of those 13av.2 drivers? They are somewhat ridiculous with silly levels of excursion. I always wondered how they sounded...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZJX_qxfqmE

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #115 of 618 Old 08-17-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by realjetavenger View Post

I have, and they're brutal! That guy has put some insane bass in those tracks. You want to defile your sub? He's got you covered. I planned on bringing a thumb drive with those tracks on it. Archaea has a point about being careful how much volume you use; without a good limiter they will blow up something.

Quote:

I'm bringing some #9, so you have to come. I'll save a cold one for you and the misses (well, maybe I'll bring chocolate for the ladies tongue.gif).

Thanks Jim!

That'll be fun. We went to Dogfish brewery last time I was out east. It was enjoyable to see their home base. I've not tried the linked brew. I'm game.

Alas the Mrs. is interested in the trip to visit family in PA. She doesn't share my enthusiasm for audio events.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #116 of 618 Old 08-17-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:

Congrats! Not sure where you live, but if at all possible bring those 30s to our GTG!

Thanks Gorilla.

The prices for dual xv30 too good to pass up. I picked them over dual uls15, vtf15h and dual CHT 18.2

I live in north of Md and I love to bring these bad boys to the event, but not sure will fix in my tiny little sub-compact car. Each sub weights 158lbs each and dimensions (D x W x H): 36” x 20.5” x 26.75 eek.gif
post #117 of 618 Old 08-18-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Quote:

are you bringing the outlaws and the PSA subs?

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #118 of 618 Old 08-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thorton, PA?? That's about 8 minutes from me! I just might have to attend this event. I'm right in Chadds Ford...

I'll send you a PM as well. I've got the makings for a good system but I need some help.

John
post #119 of 618 Old 08-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
I can't come, I really can't come, how come I keep reading this thread because I can't come. I am putting my spare change into a eurotrip departure out of Norfolk, VA 3 days after that, so I can't come. How come I know it is only a 5 hour drive? Why do I keep wondering where my Rythmik FV15HP would land in such a huge gorgeous sub pile. No need to bring it, the JTRs and Submersives are SPL monsters. The Rythmik is something different than that. But, I cant go anyway...can I?
post #120 of 618 Old 08-19-2012, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You have to be careful that you do not damage anyone's subs. ^ From the looks of that thread you are talking about a lot of infrasonics, that can't be heard, but may potentially be felt. If you put the volume control in each owners hand this might be okay, but don't try to employ these tracks in the general music section with volume levels at the same as the other track material unless a strong HPF is employed (which sort of defeats the purpose of these tracks). With caution this could be fun.

Agreed, you have to attend! We sure could use your experience from the other KC meets you've hosted. smile.gif Plenty of good brew will be flowing as well. biggrin.gif

Quote:

recruit this philly guy to attend...
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1425054/a-little-help/0_20
especially if he buys this pair of used a7-650 towers on sale in the classified section.
You ever seen the youtube video of those 13av.2 drivers? They are somewhat ridiculous with silly levels of excursion. I always wondered how they sounded...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZJX_qxfqmE

I'd love to hear the big ED's. If he doesn't buy them I may have to consider them as backups. smile.gif That video is crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by av addiction View Post

Thanks Gorilla.
The prices for dual xv30 too good to pass up. I picked them over dual uls15, vtf15h and dual CHT 18.2
I live in north of Md and I love to bring these bad boys to the event, but not sure will fix in my tiny little sub-compact car. Each sub weights 158lbs each and dimensions (D x W x H): 36” x 20.5” x 26.75 eek.gif

Where in MD do you live? Anyone in or around this area that could help transport these bad boys??
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post

Thorton, PA?? That's about 8 minutes from me! I just might have to attend this event. I'm right in Chadds Ford...
I'll send you a PM as well. I've got the makings for a good system but I need some help.
John

John - That's crazy you're so close by. I'd love to hear those JTR T12s youv'e got at some point. I'd be more than willing to help you get your Caps fixed up as well. You're more than welcome to stop by at any time to check out my setup as well. I better see you at this event! biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100 View Post

I can't come, I really can't come, how come I keep reading this thread because I can't come. I am putting my spare change into a eurotrip departure out of Norfolk, VA 3 days after that, so I can't come. How come I know it is only a 5 hour drive? Why do I keep wondering where my Rythmik FV15HP would land in such a huge gorgeous sub pile. No need to bring it, the JTRs and Submersives are SPL monsters. The Rythmik is something different than that. But, I cant go anyway...can I?

Dude, events like this don't come around all that often. The way I see it you're left with little choice!

Heck, with any more subs we may have to turn this into a 1.5 or 2 day event! biggrin.gif
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page