AVS Forum banner

Which date works for you? Please vote only once.

• Saturday, September 15th

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Saturday, October 13th

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Saturday, October 20th

Votes: 7 46.7%

NE PA/NY/NJ/DE/MD/VA GTG - Take Two!

42K views 617 replies 50 participants last post by  basshead81 
#1 ·
 Link to the results thread.

OK - It's about time we got serious about replanning this event. This is a continuation of the original thread posted late last year. Since I'm redoing my basement setup, I'll volunteer to host this time. The details

Date: now set to Saturday, October 20th. Start time 9:30 AM. End time? When we're done.

Location: My place in Thornton, PA. Further details to follow as the date approaches. I'm in a relatively convenient location from I-95, 295, 495, Route 1, etc. To give some perspective, I'm 25 minutes Southwest of the Philadelphia airport, an hour and a half from Baltimore, 2 hours from NYC, and 2.5 hours from DC.

Food: Update: I'll ask for a nominal $10.00 donationfor any member attending to cover lunch and snacks for the day. Anything over this I will cover.

BYO for the beverages of your choice.
I will have a few cases of beer handy as well as well as most mixed drink stuff at the bar.

Stuff for sale:I know I ALWAYS have some equipment I need to sell, so if any others are in the same category, feel free to bring it. Swap meets are fun.

Room:The viewing/listening area is 13x22x8 (open) in my basement. Just behind this area is the bar area which is another 19x22x8 so we should have ample room for a good crew. The floors are concrete of course and there is a drop ceiling. Just an FYI it is NOT a dedicated theater but it should serve quite well for some informal listening sessions.

More info: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1428456/gorilla83s-humble-basement-hangout

In addition, if there is interest, I could set up a music only setup upstairs. The room is a bit larger, but would probably serve nicely for this purpose.

Additional:It is not mandatory that you bring any equipment with you. I will however ask that you share your thoughts/opinions with the online community after the event so that all can benefit.

Equipment:

Receiver/processor: Denon 4311ci

Testing equipment: Laptop/omnimic

Current main speaker inventory

CHT SHO-10

Definitive Technology BP30

Definitive Technology BP7002

Definitive Technology BP2002

Magnepan MMG

Current amps

Acurus 200x3

EP4000 (fan modded)

Crown XLS5000

Projector: Epson 8700UB

Screen: Jamestown Custom 120" Matte White

Electric: 2 x 20A dedicated circuits, 1X20A shared circuit.

Details of testing: Movie/Music clips to follow. Looking at 30-40 minutes of listening time for each sub as well as 15-20 minutes of setup.

Per Ironmike's suggestion, we will probably be doing some basic sweeps of each sub at the LP prior to the demo session.

EDIT: As of 9/10/12 we are at capacity for the event. As members confirm/unconfirm we may free up some space.

Should be a blast and look forward to meeting alot of you guys.

Confirmed attendees - List is CLOSED for now:

1) Gorilla83 (Andrew) - Passive JTR Captivators powered by a Crown XLS5000

2) Spyboy - Arthur, Montgomery county, PA, SVS 20-39 PCi CONFIRMED

3) ironhead1230 (Mike) - Seaton submersive hp, Seaton submersive F2, 120 minute IPA! CONFIRMED

4) Bone215 - Beer/food CONFIRMED

5) Mark Seaton from Seaton Sound - Catalyst 8C x 3, Submersive HP CONFIRMED

6) pennynike1 ?

7) Reefdvr27 - Dual PSA XV15's, CONFIRMED

8) MIkeDuke - CONFIRMED

9) raehza ? - Hsu VTF15H

10) Archaea CONFIRMED

11) jclif77 ?

12) realjetavenger - Rythmik E15, plus guest. CONFIRMED

13) Pianist718 ?

14) popalock - VA, LMS5400, FP14000Q clone amp, Definitive Supercube, iNuke6000? CONFIRMED

15) rush2049 - Hsu ULS-15, KRK powered monitors, test/demo CD for audio- Ben CONFIRMED

16) JimWilson - Jim, NW New Jersey, Warren County area PSA XS-15, Case of magic hat, water CONFIRMED

17) mmiles? Tannoy Sub15

18) Ryansboston? Arx A5 towers. PS3 and SACDsCONFIRMED

19) Mac.Concierge - Joe, Staten Island - Music/Bluray collection CONFIRMED

20) dstew100- David, Virginia Beach. Fv15hp, pulled pork CONFIRMED

21) Sibuna - Western NY, music clips CONFIRMED

22) rx-8 - Bill, Toronto, plus guest, CONFIRMED

23) shifler123 - John from Wilmington, DE, Dual custom MFW-15s CONFIRMED

24) Jeff P from JTR - Noesis speakers CONFIRMED

UPDATE -

t looks like we have 9-10 different CONFIRMED sub setups. Since we already have a heck of a lineup and one of my amps went bad,I'm going to pull my empires out of the main demo area and leave them upstairs. They will be available for demo'ing though with the main speaker setups though if you want to listen.

JTR Captivator Passive Pair / Crown XLS5000

Seaton submersive hp / Seaton submersive F2

2x LMS5400 / LG clone and/or iNuke6000 amp

Dual PSA XV15's

DIY Dayton 15's

Rythmik Fv15hp

Rythmik E15

Definitive Supercube Reference

Hsu ULS-15

PSA XS-15

SVS 20-39 PCi

Possibles -

raehza - Hsu VTF15H - haven't heard from him yet as far as a confirmation

In the interest of time, we will likely have to audition some of the speaker setups in parallel with the subwoofers. I have a feeling some will need a break from listening to those sub clips so many times anyway.

Main speaker setup

Seaton Catylst 8C main stage (LCR) / Definitive BPX surrounds

Upstairs - paired with my Epik Empire / Yamaha Receiver / Acurus A200x3 amp

KRK powered monitors

Arx A5 towers

JTR Noesis

Here is the living room area:

Thanks guys,

Andrew

aschutsky@verizon.net

See less See more
#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebracatzebra  /t/1420544/ne-pa-ny-nj-de-md-va-gtg-take-two#post_22224985

Pizza, wings, beer, and loud noises, sounds like a blast! I currently have an eD A2-300 and just ordered a HSU VTF-15h, I could bring either to demo. I chose October 13th because "The Avengers" will be out on Blu by then, but any of those dates would be good for me.

I think the VTF-15H would be better suited to this crew since most of the subs demo'd will be relatively heavy hitters!.Not to mention I would love to hear the Hsu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4  /t/1420544/ne-pa-ny-nj-de-md-va-gtg-take-two#post_22225082

I'm in for October 13th. I have a 1000w powered cap with a 2012 prototype driver that I can bring.

Let's hear that cap! Would be interesting to compare vs. the powered version. I often wondered if I should have simply purchased the 1K version and not had to deal with this external amp.

#5 ·
I'd be game for making the trip out, but October 13th is the weekend of RMAF. Sept 15th & October 20th are plenty workable to me.

#7 ·
I would love to attend this event.

I am out of Cherry Hill NJ, just across the bridge practically. My work is such that I have no idea which of those dates could work. I will pay attention to this thread and am glad the GTG is being resurected, I was psyched up for the last one before it crashed and died.

I would be willing to help with the beer supply and or food.

#8 ·
I voted for Sept 15th, but could also make it on Oct 20th. I am still willing to bring a submersive hp, possibly a submersive F2, a calibrated mic and REW setup and hopefully a working spetrum lab config. If anyone is interested, I also may have a few bottles of 120 Minute IPA and Palo Santo Marron that I could bring.

-Mike

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton  /t/1420544/ne-pa-ny-nj-de-md-va-gtg-take-two#post_22226270

I'd be game for making the trip out, but October 13th is the weekend of RMAF. Sept 15th & October 20th are plenty workable to me.

Mark - Would be great to have you come out. Hopefully we should be able to accommodate the date without issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1  /t/1420544/ne-pa-ny-nj-de-md-va-gtg-take-two#post_22226280

I would love to attend this. How about October 20th as a workable date?

Add in the vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone215  /t/1420544/ne-pa-ny-nj-de-md-va-gtg-take-two#post_22226388

I would love to attend this event.

I am out of Cherry Hill NJ, just across the bridge practically. My work is such that I have no idea which of those dates could work. I will pay attention to this thread and am glad the GTG is being resurected, I was psyched up for the last one before it crashed and died.

I would be willing to help with the beer supply and or food.

We should have a better idea for a date within the next couple of weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhead1230  /t/1420544/ne-pa-ny-nj-de-md-va-gtg-take-two#post_22226466

I voted for Sept 15th, but could also make it on Oct 20th. I am still willing to bring a submersive hp, possibly a submersive F2, a calibrated mic and REW setup and hopefully a working spetrum lab config. If anyone is interested, I also may have a few bottles of 120 Minute IPA and Palo Santo Marron that I could bring.

-Mike

Great Mike, I've been waiting a while to hear a Submersive in person.
120 Minute IPA?? Yum!!

#10 ·
I voted September, just because it is the soonest. Any date is fine with me. I am from the Jersey Shore, Anything special from down here anyone would like, I will bring it. As I said I just ordered a pair of new Power Sound Audio XV-15's and I also have a pair of Outlaw LFM-1 EX's if any interest.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27  /t/1420544/ne-pa-ny-nj-de-md-va-gtg-take-two#post_22226671

I am from the Jersey Shore, Anything special from down here anyone would like, I will bring it.

How about the boardwalk? That would be cool!
Just leave those tramps from the Jersey Shore where they are, in the gutter...

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27  /t/1420544/ne-pa-ny-nj-de-md-va-gtg-take-two#post_22226671

I voted September, just because it is the soonest. Any date is fine with me. I am from the Jersey Shore, Anything special from down here anyone would like, I will bring it. As I said I just ordered a pair of new Power Sound Audio XV-15's and I also have a pair of Outlaw LFM-1 EX's if any interest.

Great! Johnson's carmel corn for the win!
I know there is a TON of curiosity regarding the new Power sound products and I'm sure they would be a big hit. The EX's would be great too, but not sure if we would have time for them. Are you planning on selling them once you get the XV's in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson  /t/1420544/ne-pa-ny-nj-de-md-va-gtg-take-two#post_22226725

How about the boardwalk? That would be cool!
Just leave those tramps from the Jersey Shore where they are, in the gutter...

LOL! Agreed.

#14 ·

Quote:

As I said I just ordered a pair of new Power Sound Audio XV-15's

FWIW... I've been in contact with Tom to see if he (or Jim) would like to attend and personally demo his new line. I included a link to this thread so he could see what the GTG was all about. As soon as he gets back to me I'll let you know if he'll be able to attend.

#15 ·
Perhaps I could get the opportunity to hear quad Submersive HP's if this does take place on October 20th. That would definitely be interesting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton  /t/1420544/ne-pa-ny-nj-de-md-va-gtg-take-two#post_22226270

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson  /t/1420544/ne-pa-ny-nj-de-md-va-gtg-take-two#post_22227242

FWIW... I've been in contact with Tom to see if he (or Jim) would like to attend and personally demo his new line. I included a link to this thread so he could see what the GTG was all about. As soon as he gets back to me I'll let you know if he'll be able to attend.
Either way, we will get to demo the XV-15. If that were the case and those guys showed up, I am sure they could bring the XV-30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83  /t/1420544/ne-pa-ny-nj-de-md-va-gtg-take-two#post_22227054

Great! Johnson's carmel corn for the win!
I know there is a TON of curiosity regarding the new Power sound products and I'm sure they would be a big hit. The EX's would be great too, but not sure if we would have time for them. Are you planning on selling them once you get the XV's in?
Johnson's Carmel corn it is!!! Yes the plan is to sell the EX and the Plus.

#21 ·
I would really like to make it to this. I am in if it is in Sept. Either I find my own way or I could try and hitch a ride with someone who is near me and does not mind giving me a ride
Oct would be iffy because I may have events that are not set in stone yet that may be during those Oct dates.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke  /t/1420544/ne-pa-ny-nj-de-md-va-gtg-take-two#post_22228842

I would really like to make it to this. I am in if it is in Sept. Either I find m own way or if someone who I try to find a ride with some one who is "near" me. Oct would be iffy because I may have events that are not set in stone yet that may be during those Oct dates.

Mike - I'm pulling for September as well, just for the fact that it is closer, LOL. I should have the room wrapped up in the next 2-3 weeks so will have a few weeks to order new receiver and get some things set up. You have a SubM HP, right?

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83  /t/1420544/ne-pa-ny-nj-de-md-va-gtg-take-two#post_22228936

Mike - I'm pulling for September as well, just for the fact that it is closer, LOL. I should have the room wrapped up in the next 2-3 weeks so will have a few weeks to order new receiver and get some things set up. You have a SubM HP, right?
Yep, I have the SubM HP. But it is staying put
. To heavy and being on a second floor kind of makes moving it a real pain. Besides, it seems like there will be some there anyway. I hope I can make it.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke  /t/1420544/ne-pa-ny-nj-de-md-va-gtg-take-two#post_22229017

Yep, I have the SubM HP. But it is staying put
. To heavy and being on a second floor kind of makes moving it a real pain. Besides, it seems like there will be some there anyway. I hope I can make it.

No worries, we should be able to source a second from someone anyway.
Hope to see you there.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27  /t/1420544/ne-pa-ny-nj-de-md-va-gtg-take-two#post_22228014

Either way, we will get to demo the XV-15. If that were the case and those guys showed up, I am sure they could bring the XV-30.

Agreed; I wasn't implying it should be in lieu of the XV-15, just in addition to.

Tom got back to me and said he wasn't able to commit to attending because he isn't sure how busy things are going to get. I asked him to keep an eye on this thread and if he finds himself in a position to make it he would certainly be welcome. So at this point it's a firm possibility of a definite maybe...

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson  /t/1420544/ne-pa-ny-nj-de-md-va-gtg-take-two#post_22229885

Agreed; I wasn't implying it should be in lieu of the XV-15, just in addition to.

Tom got back to me and said he wasn't able to commit to attending because he isn't sure how busy things are going to get. I asked him to keep an eye on this thread and if he finds himself in a position to make it he would certainly be welcome. So at this point it's a firm possibility of a definite maybe...

Jim - Thanks for helping out! It would really be great to get Tom and Mark (Seaton) there. Maybe we (I) should reach out to Jeff at JTR and Craig at CHT too.

Now you haven't mentioned if YOU will be able to make it yet.

Edit - Just posted over at CHT forum with hopes we can get some fair CHT representation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.