NE PA/NY/NJ/DE/MD/VA GTG - Take Two! - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which date works for you? Please vote only once.
Saturday, September 15th 5 33.33%
Saturday, October 13th 3 20.00%
Saturday, October 20th 7 46.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 618 Old 07-16-2012, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Link to the results thread.

OK - It's about time we got serious about replanning this event. This is a continuation of the original thread posted late last year. Since I'm redoing my basement setup, I'll volunteer to host this time. The details

Date: now set to Saturday, October 20th. Start time 9:30 AM. End time? When we're done. tongue.gif

Location: My place in Thornton, PA. Further details to follow as the date approaches. I'm in a relatively convenient location from I-95, 295, 495, Route 1, etc. To give some perspective, I'm 25 minutes Southwest of the Philadelphia airport, an hour and a half from Baltimore, 2 hours from NYC, and 2.5 hours from DC.

Food: Update: I'll ask for a nominal $10.00 donationfor any member attending to cover lunch and snacks for the day. Anything over this I will cover.

BYO for the beverages of your choice. tongue.gif I will have a few cases of beer handy as well as well as most mixed drink stuff at the bar.

Stuff for sale:I know I ALWAYS have some equipment I need to sell, so if any others are in the same category, feel free to bring it. Swap meets are fun. smile.gif

Room:The viewing/listening area is 13x22x8 (open) in my basement. Just behind this area is the bar area which is another 19x22x8 so we should have ample room for a good crew. The floors are concrete of course and there is a drop ceiling. Just an FYI it is NOT a dedicated theater but it should serve quite well for some informal listening sessions.

More info: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1428456/gorilla83s-humble-basement-hangout

In addition, if there is interest, I could set up a music only setup upstairs. The room is a bit larger, but would probably serve nicely for this purpose.

Additional:It is not mandatory that you bring any equipment with you. I will however ask that you share your thoughts/opinions with the online community after the event so that all can benefit.

Equipment:

Receiver/processor: Denon 4311ci

Testing equipment: Laptop/omnimic

Current main speaker inventory
CHT SHO-10
Definitive Technology BP30
Definitive Technology BP7002
Definitive Technology BP2002
Magnepan MMG

Current amps
Acurus 200x3
EP4000 (fan modded)
Crown XLS5000

Projector: Epson 8700UB
Screen: Jamestown Custom 120" Matte White

Electric: 2 x 20A dedicated circuits, 1X20A shared circuit.

Details of testing: Movie/Music clips to follow. Looking at 30-40 minutes of listening time for each sub as well as 15-20 minutes of setup.

Per Ironmike's suggestion, we will probably be doing some basic sweeps of each sub at the LP prior to the demo session.

EDIT: As of 9/10/12 we are at capacity for the event. As members confirm/unconfirm we may free up some space.

Should be a blast and look forward to meeting alot of you guys.

Confirmed attendees - List is CLOSED for now:
1) Gorilla83 (Andrew) - Passive JTR Captivators powered by a Crown XLS5000
2) Spyboy - Arthur, Montgomery county, PA, SVS 20-39 PCi CONFIRMED
3) ironhead1230 (Mike) - Seaton submersive hp, Seaton submersive F2, 120 minute IPA! CONFIRMED
4) Bone215 - Beer/food CONFIRMED
5) Mark Seaton from Seaton Sound - Catalyst 8C x 3, Submersive HP CONFIRMED
6) pennynike1 ?
7) Reefdvr27 - Dual PSA XV15's, CONFIRMED
8) MIkeDuke - CONFIRMED
9) raehza ? - Hsu VTF15H
10) Archaea CONFIRMED
11) jclif77 ?
12) realjetavenger - Rythmik E15, plus guest. CONFIRMED
13) Pianist718 ?
14) popalock - VA, LMS5400, FP14000Q clone amp, Definitive Supercube, iNuke6000? CONFIRMED
15) rush2049 - Hsu ULS-15, KRK powered monitors, test/demo CD for audio- Ben CONFIRMED
16) JimWilson - Jim, NW New Jersey, Warren County area PSA XS-15, Case of magic hat, water CONFIRMED
17) mmiles? Tannoy Sub15
18) Ryansboston? Arx A5 towers. PS3 and SACDsCONFIRMED
19) Mac.Concierge - Joe, Staten Island - Music/Bluray collection CONFIRMED
20) dstew100- David, Virginia Beach. Fv15hp, pulled pork CONFIRMED
21) Sibuna - Western NY, music clips CONFIRMED
22) rx-8 - Bill, Toronto, plus guest, CONFIRMED
23) shifler123 - John from Wilmington, DE, Dual custom MFW-15s CONFIRMED
24) Jeff P from JTR - Noesis speakers CONFIRMED

UPDATE -

t looks like we have 9-10 different CONFIRMED sub setups. Since we already have a heck of a lineup and one of my amps went bad,I'm going to pull my empires out of the main demo area and leave them upstairs. They will be available for demo'ing though with the main speaker setups though if you want to listen.

JTR Captivator Passive Pair / Crown XLS5000
Seaton submersive hp / Seaton submersive F2
2x LMS5400 / LG clone and/or iNuke6000 amp
Dual PSA XV15's
DIY Dayton 15's
Rythmik Fv15hp
Rythmik E15
Definitive Supercube Reference
Hsu ULS-15
PSA XS-15
SVS 20-39 PCi

Possibles -
raehza - Hsu VTF15H - haven't heard from him yet as far as a confirmation

In the interest of time, we will likely have to audition some of the speaker setups in parallel with the subwoofers. I have a feeling some will need a break from listening to those sub clips so many times anyway. tongue.gif

Main speaker setup
Seaton Catylst 8C main stage (LCR) / Definitive BPX surrounds

Upstairs - paired with my Epik Empire / Yamaha Receiver / Acurus A200x3 amp
KRK powered monitors
Arx A5 towers
JTR Noesis

Here is the living room area:
sideviewoflivingroom.jpg

Thanks guys,
Andrew
aschutsky@verizon.net
Bunga99 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 618 Old 07-16-2012, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Pizza, wings, beer, and loud noises, sounds like a blast! I currently have an eD A2-300 and just ordered a HSU VTF-15h, I could bring either to demo. I chose October 13th because "The Avengers" will be out on Blu by then, but any of those dates would be good for me.
post #3 of 618 Old 07-16-2012, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I'm in for October 13th. I have a 1000w powered cap with a 2012 prototype driver that I can bring.
post #4 of 618 Old 07-17-2012, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebracatzebra View Post

Pizza, wings, beer, and loud noises, sounds like a blast! I currently have an eD A2-300 and just ordered a HSU VTF-15h, I could bring either to demo. I chose October 13th because "The Avengers" will be out on Blu by then, but any of those dates would be good for me.

I think the VTF-15H would be better suited to this crew since most of the subs demo'd will be relatively heavy hitters!.Not to mention I would love to hear the Hsu. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

I'm in for October 13th. I have a 1000w powered cap with a 2012 prototype driver that I can bring.

Let's hear that cap! Would be interesting to compare vs. the powered version. I often wondered if I should have simply purchased the 1K version and not had to deal with this external amp. biggrin.gif

post #5 of 618 Old 07-17-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I'd be game for making the trip out, but October 13th is the weekend of RMAF. Sept 15th & October 20th are plenty workable to me.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #6 of 618 Old 07-17-2012, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would love to attend this. How about October 20th as a workable date?
post #7 of 618 Old 07-17-2012, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I would love to attend this event.
I am out of Cherry Hill NJ, just across the bridge practically. My work is such that I have no idea which of those dates could work. I will pay attention to this thread and am glad the GTG is being resurected, I was psyched up for the last one before it crashed and died.
I would be willing to help with the beer supply and or food.

deeper than the deepest ocean
post #8 of 618 Old 07-17-2012, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I voted for Sept 15th, but could also make it on Oct 20th. I am still willing to bring a submersive hp, possibly a submersive F2, a calibrated mic and REW setup and hopefully a working spetrum lab config. If anyone is interested, I also may have a few bottles of 120 Minute IPA and Palo Santo Marron that I could bring.

-Mike
post #9 of 618 Old 07-17-2012, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

I'd be game for making the trip out, but October 13th is the weekend of RMAF. Sept 15th & October 20th are plenty workable to me.

Mark - Would be great to have you come out. Hopefully we should be able to accommodate the date without issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1 View Post

I would love to attend this. How about October 20th as a workable date?

Add in the vote. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone215 View Post

I would love to attend this event.
I am out of Cherry Hill NJ, just across the bridge practically. My work is such that I have no idea which of those dates could work. I will pay attention to this thread and am glad the GTG is being resurected, I was psyched up for the last one before it crashed and died.
I would be willing to help with the beer supply and or food.

We should have a better idea for a date within the next couple of weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhead1230 View Post

I voted for Sept 15th, but could also make it on Oct 20th. I am still willing to bring a submersive hp, possibly a submersive F2, a calibrated mic and REW setup and hopefully a working spetrum lab config. If anyone is interested, I also may have a few bottles of 120 Minute IPA and Palo Santo Marron that I could bring.
-Mike

Great Mike, I've been waiting a while to hear a Submersive in person. smile.gif 120 Minute IPA?? Yum!!

post #10 of 618 Old 07-17-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 392
I voted September, just because it is the soonest. Any date is fine with me. I am from the Jersey Shore, Anything special from down here anyone would like, I will bring it. As I said I just ordered a pair of new Power Sound Audio XV-15's and I also have a pair of Outlaw LFM-1 EX's if any interest.

My System

My dedicated theater room build. 

post #11 of 618 Old 07-17-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I can do both dates in October.
post #12 of 618 Old 07-17-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I am from the Jersey Shore, Anything special from down here anyone would like, I will bring it.

How about the boardwalk? That would be cool! biggrin.gif Just leave those tramps from the Jersey Shore where they are, in the gutter... wink.gif

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #13 of 618 Old 07-17-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I voted September, just because it is the soonest. Any date is fine with me. I am from the Jersey Shore, Anything special from down here anyone would like, I will bring it. As I said I just ordered a pair of new Power Sound Audio XV-15's and I also have a pair of Outlaw LFM-1 EX's if any interest.

Great! Johnson's carmel corn for the win! smile.gif I know there is a TON of curiosity regarding the new Power sound products and I'm sure they would be a big hit. The EX's would be great too, but not sure if we would have time for them. Are you planning on selling them once you get the XV's in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

How about the boardwalk? That would be cool! biggrin.gif Just leave those tramps from the Jersey Shore where they are, in the gutter... wink.gif

LOL! Agreed.

post #14 of 618 Old 07-17-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As I said I just ordered a pair of new Power Sound Audio XV-15's

FWIW... I've been in contact with Tom to see if he (or Jim) would like to attend and personally demo his new line. I included a link to this thread so he could see what the GTG was all about. As soon as he gets back to me I'll let you know if he'll be able to attend.

post #15 of 618 Old 07-17-2012, 02:55 PM

Perhaps I could get the opportunity to hear quad Submersive HP's if this does take place on October 20th. That would definitely be interesting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

post #16 of 618 Old 07-17-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 663
I'll probably not vote, but depending on the date and the cast of auditioning subwoofers - a plane ticket out to PA might be in my near future.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

post #17 of 618 Old 07-17-2012, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I'll probably not vote, but depending on the date and the cast of auditioning subwoofers - a plane ticket out to PA might be in my near future.
Now that a decidated bass head!

Mark, a F2 or terraform would be nice. Just saying.
post #18 of 618 Old 07-17-2012, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:

FWIW... I've been in contact with Tom to see if he (or Jim) would like to attend and personally demo his new line. I included a link to this thread so he could see what the GTG was all about. As soon as he gets back to me I'll let you know if he'll be able to attend.
Either way, we will get to demo the XV-15. If that were the case and those guys showed up, I am sure they could bring the XV-30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Great! Johnson's carmel corn for the win! smile.gif I know there is a TON of curiosity regarding the new Power sound products and I'm sure they would be a big hit. The EX's would be great too, but not sure if we would have time for them. Are you planning on selling them once you get the XV's in?
Johnson's Carmel corn it is!!! Yes the plan is to sell the EX and the Plus.

My System

My dedicated theater room build. 

post #19 of 618 Old 07-17-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What's the date again? Can bring my Tannoy Sub15 and amp.

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #20 of 618 Old 07-17-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

What's the date again? Can bring my Tannoy Sub15 and amp.

The date is still being decided. Look at the top of the thread - there's a poll where you can vote.

post #21 of 618 Old 07-18-2012, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I would really like to make it to this. I am in if it is in Sept. Either I find my own way or I could try and hitch a ride with someone who is near me and does not mind giving me a ride smile.gif Oct would be iffy because I may have events that are not set in stone yet that may be during those Oct dates.

It ain't easy being green.

post #22 of 618 Old 07-18-2012, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

I would really like to make it to this. I am in if it is in Sept. Either I find m own way or if someone who I try to find a ride with some one who is "near" me. Oct would be iffy because I may have events that are not set in stone yet that may be during those Oct dates.

Mike - I'm pulling for September as well, just for the fact that it is closer, LOL. I should have the room wrapped up in the next 2-3 weeks so will have a few weeks to order new receiver and get some things set up. You have a SubM HP, right?

post #23 of 618 Old 07-18-2012, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Mike - I'm pulling for September as well, just for the fact that it is closer, LOL. I should have the room wrapped up in the next 2-3 weeks so will have a few weeks to order new receiver and get some things set up. You have a SubM HP, right?
Yep, I have the SubM HP. But it is staying put tongue.gif. To heavy and being on a second floor kind of makes moving it a real pain. Besides, it seems like there will be some there anyway. I hope I can make it.

It ain't easy being green.

post #24 of 618 Old 07-18-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Yep, I have the SubM HP. But it is staying put tongue.gif. To heavy and being on a second floor kind of makes moving it a real pain. Besides, it seems like there will be some there anyway. I hope I can make it.

No worries, we should be able to source a second from someone anyway. smile.gif Hope to see you there.

post #25 of 618 Old 07-18-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Either way, we will get to demo the XV-15. If that were the case and those guys showed up, I am sure they could bring the XV-30.

Agreed; I wasn't implying it should be in lieu of the XV-15, just in addition to.

Tom got back to me and said he wasn't able to commit to attending because he isn't sure how busy things are going to get. I asked him to keep an eye on this thread and if he finds himself in a position to make it he would certainly be welcome. So at this point it's a firm possibility of a definite maybe... tongue.gif

post #26 of 618 Old 07-18-2012, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Agreed; I wasn't implying it should be in lieu of the XV-15, just in addition to.
Tom got back to me and said he wasn't able to commit to attending because he isn't sure how busy things are going to get. I asked him to keep an eye on this thread and if he finds himself in a position to make it he would certainly be welcome. So at this point it's a firm possibility of a definite maybe... tongue.gif

Jim - Thanks for helping out! It would really be great to get Tom and Mark (Seaton) there. Maybe we (I) should reach out to Jeff at JTR and Craig at CHT too.

Now you haven't mentioned if YOU will be able to make it yet. biggrin.gif

Edit - Just posted over at CHT forum with hopes we can get some fair CHT representation. biggrin.gif

post #27 of 618 Old 07-18-2012, 11:33 AM

Make that 2 Terraform XL's would be nice smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

Now that a decidated bass head!
Mark, a F2 or terraform would be nice. Just saying.
post #28 of 618 Old 07-18-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Jim - Thanks for helping out! It would really be great to get Tom and Mark (Seaton) there. Maybe we (I) should reach out to Jeff at JTR and Craig at CHT too.
Edit - Just posted over at CHT forum with hopes we can get some fair CHT representation. biggrin.gif

Craig Chase lives in Erie Pennsylvania, around a 5-6 hour drive. It would certainly be great if Craig could attend this event. smile.gif

I would contribute towards an airline ticket to entice Craig to come biggrin.gifeek.gifbiggrin.gif
post #29 of 618 Old 07-18-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

In the last GTG thread, I think we agreed on $10 each person for food and drinks. I think, we can still do that here?
post #30 of 618 Old 07-18-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Craig and I have spoken in the past, so we do know each other. Unfortunately I don't know Jeff at all, so I can't help there. Let's see what happens with the post you made at CHT. Maybe that will be sufficient. If not, I'll reach out to Craig.

Quote:

I'm seriously considering it - I'd love to go. At this point I'm just waiting to see what date gets selected.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page