Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #61 of 87 Old 01-28-2013, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Should I be concerned that the EW-100 has a Frequency Response of 29Hz-120Hz ± 3dB with the Take Classic?

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 87 Old 01-28-2013, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post

Should I be concerned that the EW-100 has a Frequency Response of 29Hz-120Hz ± 3dB with the Take Classic?

I don't believe so; the Take's list the -3dB point as 115dB, so provided Energy hasn't fudged the numbers the sub and speakers should overlap. Just barely, but they will.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #63 of 87 Old 01-29-2013, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, thanks for yours, and all the other, replies.

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #64 of 87 Old 01-29-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

My room is 12 x 12. When I performed Audessey, it set some of the existing BA speakers higher than 120. I think I'd feel safer going with the ESW - C8, that goes up to 150.

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

post #65 of 87 Old 01-29-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

When I ran audyssey with the BA speakers and sub, it set the crossovers at:

Front. - 150Hz
Center - 120hz
Surround -110Hz

Now mind you, the fronts and rears are identical speakers, spec'd out at:

*Fronts
- Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
- Frequency Response: 120 Hz - 20 kHz
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 4 3/8" x 7 3/8" x 4 11/16"
- Weight : 2.5 lbs/each

* Center Speaker
- Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
- Frequency Response: 120 Hz - 20 kHz
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 12 5/8" x 5 11/16" x 3 3/4"

This is why I'm leering about subs that only go up to 120Hz

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

post #66 of 87 Old 01-29-2013, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I ran audyssey with the BA speakers and sub, it set the crossovers at:

I'm not sure it's a good idea to accept Audysseys settings verbatim; while it's definitely the industry standard, it's certainly not infallible. You're free to make adjustments if you feel it's determinations aren't completely accurate. If you're not comfortable with a subwoofer that only goes up to 120Hz then perhaps it's best you don't buy it, but don't feel Audyssey is the end-all-be-all because it has been known to miscalculate from time to time.

post #67 of 87 Old 01-29-2013, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I spoke to the retailer, and they have a 30 day return policy, so I may give it a test drive.

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

post #68 of 87 Old 02-10-2013, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I spoke to the retailer, and they have a 30 day return policy, so I may give it a test drive.

Just wondering if you ended up testing this setup out, and if so what did you think? I am still waiting for my EW-100 to ship from Amazon, and wavering between it and the BIC F12. I had the same concern as well regarding the upper limit for the EW-100, however I heard reports that the BIC F12 doesn't play well above 90-100Hz, so not sure about that one either.

EDIT: I should clarify, I also have the Energy Take Classic 5.0. Looking for something to provide clear-ish bass, and blend in well with the takes at this price point.
post #69 of 87 Old 02-10-2013, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerbamate View Post

Just wondering if you ended up testing this setup out, and if so what did you think? I am still waiting for my EW-100 to ship from Amazon, and wavering between it and the BIC F12. I had the same concern as well regarding the upper limit for the EW-100, however I heard reports that the BIC F12 doesn't play well above 90-100Hz, so not sure about that one either.

EDIT: I should clarify, I also have the Energy Take Classic 5.0. Looking for something to provide clear-ish bass, and blend in well with the takes at this price point.

I wound up not keeping the take classics. I compared the take classics to my Boston acoustics, after running auddessey, for each ,and setting crossovers to 120. Although the Take Classics had nice high notes, they seemed less "deep" than the BA speakers.

Energys EW-100 was a nice upgrade to the BA sub, but I don't think it had any place to go but up. The BA sub only rated down to 50 Hz, and sounded boomy. The Energy sub is rate down to 29hz, and sounded a lot cleaner, so it is a welcomed addition to my room. At $149, it sounds very good.

Please keep in mind that my room is only roughly 12x12, and the other side of the room is the living room, so I felt the BIC, while highly rated, would been overpowering for the room. Yes, I could have turned the gain down, but it's footprint was also much larger, and as I said earlier, it's a small room, and space is limited. If I had a bigger room, I would given the BIC a shot for $180.

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

post #70 of 87 Old 02-13-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Considering going for the Energy ESW-M8 sub, prices are just too tempting on Amazon ($299.00).

As mentioned in a previous post this sub will be used in a somewhat simplistic 2ch system consisting of:
(a) Scientific Atlanta, Explorer SA-8300HD digital receiver/cable-box
(b) Oppo BDP-93 universal player
(c) NAD C162 stereo pre-amp
(d) NAD C272 stereo amp (150W X 2)
(e) Samsung 32in LED TV
(f) HDMI switcher

I have:
SA8300HD 2ch OUT's --> NAD C162 Video INP's
Oppo BDP-93 FL/FR 2ch OUT's --> NAD C162 CD INP's
Oppo BDP-93 & SA8300HD HDMI OUT's --> HDMI switcher INP's
HDMI switcher OUT --> Samsung 32in LED TV

I've been operating this set-up now for a month or so. I can watch TV broadcast with or without amplified stereo sound (from the NAD/Energy system).

Using HDMI switcher I can watch video's, or listen to music (CD's, SACD's, DVD-A's) from the Oppo BDP-93. Also can stream music or image files from the Oppo BDP-93. Great versatility.

Sound is pretty good considering V-Mini's are closely mounted to rear wall's, side-wall's and ceiling boundaries (maybe withing 1in), I'm getting a little reverberation. I may need to insert foam plugs? Soundstage and imaging are really nice. V-Mini's are nicely transparent. Good mid-range listening to vocals. High's, while decent, are still slightly "shrilly", really smile.gif . Bass, while not deep (of course), is satisfactory

However I can use some "real" bass. I'm trying to confirm proper connection configuration integrating the ESW-M8 with the NAD C162/C272 set-up. The C162 pre-amp has no sub OUT, only the normal 2ch stereo pre-OUT's (2 sets). I have attatched the C162 rear diagram.

So I figured I would use two RCA splitters. One interconnect from each C162 2ch pre-OUT would connect to a single RCA splitter, left & right respectively. From each RCA splitter, a second interconnect (one each) would connect to ESW-M8 LINE IN Left & Right, respectively. From each RCA splitter, a third interconnect (one each) would connect to the C272 INP's, left & right respectively.

I know all this sounds confusing, but I think I'm configuring things properly?

post #71 of 87 Old 03-08-2013, 01:19 PM

Liked: 18
I found a Mirage Omni S12 for $300 on CL. Would you pay $300 for it or that's too much?

post #72 of 87 Old 03-08-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The Mirage S12 is probably better than a Hsu VTF2 running in 25Hz mode in output and sound capability, It compared favourably to the earlier versions of the VTF3.

but how old is it? The S12 came out around 2005 I think.

I'm always leary of buying an old sub like that just because it's the amp that will go first, and given that Klipsch gutted out Energy/Mirage after they took over, I wonder if any replacement amps are very easy to get.

My S12 is still working fine, and the sub always sounded great (and still holds it own against my newer SVS subs), but I wouldn't pay a lot for a old sub.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #73 of 87 Old 03-08-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 1072
That said $300 is absolutely a good price given the performance level. The S12 doesn't hit 20hz hard like some of the big ID subs but it is capable of a ton of clean output from 25hz on up.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #74 of 87 Old 03-08-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

The Mirage S12 is probably better than a Hsu VTF2 running in 25Hz mode in output and sound capability, It compared favourably to the earlier versions of the VTF3.

but how old is it? The S12 came out around 2005 I think.

I'm always leary of buying an old sub like that just because it's the amp that will go first, and given that Klipsch gutted out Energy/Mirage after they took over, I wonder if any replacement amps are very easy to get.

My S12 is still working fine, and the sub always sounded great (and still holds it own against my newer SVS subs), but I wouldn't pay a lot for a old sub.

Its less than 2 years old according to the seller and he bought it brand new, my $50 S12 is still going strong though. Parts will be hard to get if it fails but all i can see on eBay are a few s8s and older mirage subs but that's it. S12s don't come up that often on eBay or CL but i'll pick this one up and finally have dual S12s. I'll offer him $200 and go from there.
Many thanks for the feedback and i'll let you guys know when i get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

That said $300 is absolutely a good price given the performance level. The S12 doesn't hit 20hz hard like some of the big ID subs but it is capable of a ton of clean output from 25hz on up.

I already own one S12 but paid $50 for it last year when some lady listed it on CL. Apparently cleaning out her hubby's stuff and had no idea what she had on her hands. I'll get this one incase i never see one on sale again. Thank you Batpig!!

post #75 of 87 Old 03-08-2013, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

$50!! eek.gifeek.gif What a deal!!

Look at this way -- even at full $300 list price, you will have *actually* only paid $175 each wink.gif

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #76 of 87 Old 03-08-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

$50!! eek.gifeek.gif What a deal!!

Look at this way -- even at full $300 list price, you will have *actually* only paid $175 each wink.gif

Lol I was in shock too but she was really nice, the sub came with 5 Kenwood speakers.
I doubt the sale hurt since they had a huge beautiful home.
$175 isn't bad but with the damn Sequestor I shouldn't be spending.

post #77 of 87 Old 09-06-2013, 04:19 PM

Liked: 10
I am the proud owner of 3 Mirage BPSS-210 Subs (one of which is no longer working - bad amp), 2 Mirage LFX3 external crossovers (one not in use at present), and a Definitive Technology SuperCube II. I am running the Mirages in stereo as the low end of the mains (using the external crossover between my Anthem AVM30 Pre/Pro and my amp) for music listening and movies, the Def Tech dedicated solely to movies from one of the sub outs from my Anthem AVM30, and a second LFE out to the external crossover to feed into the two Mirages. It took the addition of the Def Tech to give movies the low end experience I wanted. The Mirages are exceptionally clean, and the acoustic space that is my home theater is enormous, combined with an odd shape that "ports" the bass up the stairs to the main level of the house, and I love my Mirages such that I did not want to destroy them in an attempt to get the room bass response to where I wanted it to be for movies - hence the Def Tech.

In any case, I would hate to just send the dead Mirage to the landfill (no way to repair the amp per Mirage). A local audio repair shop could have replaced the amp with a plate amp from somewhere (probably parts express), but since the sub is servo controlled (I think) AND the cost to have someone else repair it with an amp that would not servo control the woofers was more than the cost of the Def Tech on clearance at Newegg (think I paid $300? for it), I could not justify spending the dough on a repair.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with the broken Mirage BPSS-210?

-Jim

post #78 of 87 Old 09-09-2013, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I occasionally see amps pop up on eBay. Setup a saved search and be patient and one might come available.
jmwebuser likes this.
post #79 of 87 Old 02-09-2014, 09:51 PM

Liked: 11
I'm running two Energy S10's midway up my side wall on each side of sitting position and with the gain at about 2 o clock my entire room (20x25) gets a great bass response, up front I have two SVS SB1000 12" subs and I crossover at 80hz. Managed to pick up the pair of S10's for $410 with shipping and the warranty in tact. For a $200-$300 sub I don't think you'll find better. Even at full gain I've never heard any port noise or audible distortion. A buddy of mine has four Klipch Synergy 12's and he and I both agree my two S10's sound way cleaner.

Pioneer SC1522K|Mirage Omni 60 Center | Mirage Omni 260 Mains | Mirage Omni FX front heights|
Mirage Omni 60 Side Surrounds| Mirage Omni 60 Rear Surrounds| SVS SB1000
post #80 of 87 Old 02-10-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda House View Post

I'm running two Energy S10's midway up my side wall on each side of sitting position and with the gain at about 2 o clock my entire room (20x25) gets a great bass response, up front I have two SVS SB1000 12" subs and I crossover at 80hz. Managed to pick up the pair of S10's for $410 with shipping and the warranty in tact. For a $200-$300 sub I don't think you'll find better. Even at full gain I've never heard any port noise or audible distortion. A buddy of mine has four Klipch Synergy 12's and he and I both agree my two S10's sound way cleaner.

Agreed these were quite the bargain. I'm very happy with mine. I have a Svs pb10 that gets lower but I think above 25hz I prefer the s10.3's. Have you a/b'd your s10.3's to the sealed Svs 's?
post #81 of 87 Old 07-30-2014, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 42
hello, i couldnt find any thread for Mirage Omni 12 subwoofer, maybe this is the best thread i can ask, i just purchased my 2nd sub which is the Omni 12, pair with my Rythmik LV12R. i have a question before running the audyssey the omni 12 has the filter knob, should i turn it OFF or ON before and after running audyssey? i already set the phase to 0, frequency to 120(is that is crossover?) help would be appreciated. thanks.

Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
post #82 of 87 Old 07-30-2014, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1398
Frequency is the crossover.
caloyzki likes this.
post #83 of 87 Old 07-30-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

With digital bass management in the receiver you want to disable the integral filter on the sub. The receiver will do the bass management. With the filter disabled the crossover freq knob doesn't do anything.
caloyzki likes this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #84 of 87 Old 07-30-2014, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Frequency is the crossover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
With digital bass management in the receiver you want to disable the integral filter on the sub. The receiver will do the bass management. With the filter disabled the crossover freq knob doesn't do anything.
thanks guys, and i will leave the filter OFF and frequency 120 after audyssey. now i can run again my audyssey

Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
post #85 of 87 Old 08-24-2014, 09:55 PM

Liked: 0
Help with FRx s10 subwoofer

Hi,

I have a Mirage FRx s10 subwoofer that I bought in 1999 or so. I used it for several years but unfortunately have had to keep it in a box since 2008. I finally got a home theater set up at my house, plugged the sub in and... hum followed by blown fuse. I bought a new fuse and, big surprise, it blew too.

Anyway, does anybody know where I can find a schematic for this speaker? I have the owner's manual but it's not very helpful. I've looked at the transformer and the circuit boards and there are no obviously blown components.

thanks,
Ben
post #86 of 87 Old 08-25-2014, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finding schematics for a 15 year old subwoofer amp is probably going to be either extremely difficult or downright impossible, so it may not be worth the effort. Realistically speaking, it's a very old product (in subwoofer terms) that has been in storage almost half its life. It would probably be better to scrap it and go with something new instead.

Last edited by JimWilson; 08-25-2014 at 09:47 AM.
post #87 of 87 Old 08-25-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

+1 -- this subwoofer (and its twin the Energy e:XL-S10) generally run $100 or less used, so spending money to fix it seems pointless. If you are a tinkerer and want to poke around by all means have fun with it, but I wouldn't invest any more resources into that subwoofer.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Speaker Systems , Energy , Mirage , Mirage Omni S10 10 Inch 800 Watt High Performance Subwoofer , Mirage Omni S8 8 Inch 400 Watt High Performance Subwoofer , Energy S 10 3 800 Watt 10 Inch Subwoofer Black , Mirage Mm 6 Miniature High Performance Subwoofer Black , Mirage Mm 8 Miniature Subwoofer Black , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy Esw C8 8 Inch Subwoofer Black , Energy Esw C10 10 Inch 400 Watt Subwoofer Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page