Energy S10.3 vs 2x Dayton SUB1000 for music? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-19-2012, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to add a subwoofer for a system in my new apartment that will be used mostly for music (70% music, 30% TV/movies). Music is mostly hard rock/metal so I want something tight and punchy. Accuracy and impact is a bit more important than low end extension in this situation.

Room is 12x15ft, no special high ceilings. Will be used with a Jamo S606 system and a Denon AVR-1712 with MultEQ XT.

In this price range (less than $250) I've found that people generally recommend the Energy s10.3 and the Bic F-12, with the Energy being more favored for musical accuracy. I've also read that multiple subs is almost always better than one.

So in my situation, would you recommend a single Energy S10.3 or a pair of Dayton SUB1000's? Or anything you think would be even better for my goals within the given budget?
(I'd really like to stay at $250 or less. I know it's so easy to say "if you just spend xx more, you can get ________ " but this is just for a year or two until we move into somewhere where we won't have to worry quite as much about neighbors and can move up to an Epik, Hsu, SVS, etc.)

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-19-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Give your circumstances I'd opt for the Energy myself. I'd rather have one musical sub to put in a small room then two sloppy ones.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 5 Old 07-20-2012, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

So the Daytons are sloppy? Too bad. Guess we'll go with the Energy then!
post #4 of 5 Old 07-20-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 337
If you're very tight on cash then it might be alright, but you have the option to go with something a littler better so you really should. The fact you plan on using it almost 3/4's of the time for music makes a precise sub all the more important.

The SUB-1000 cost $99. For that you get a driver, amp, cabinet plus all the ancillary items; paint, feet, grill, damping material, etc. PE has to make some profit too, so figure all those things combined probably cost them $50, not a lot of money for all that stuff. They have to cut corners someplace.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #5 of 5 Old 07-23-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: close to Milwaukee, WI but far enough from the hood!
In that small room the Energy will last longer than your ears will! I have the energy in my living room (20 x14 with right side open to a kitchen twice the size) and it produces more than enough bass for movies and music. I have an SVS 25-31 Plus tube sub in my theater to show you I do know what a good sub is;)
I cannot hesitate on recommending the Energy for you.

Pat
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page