AVS Forum banner

Opinions on Klipsch Sub-12HG

23K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  braveheart123 
#1 ·
Hi there,

Anyone have this sub? Amazon is having a good deal on this right now: http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Sub-12HG-Synergy-300-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B003VIWK0G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

This is what I have going right now:

Room: 15x20 living room open to kitchen.

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V671

Speakers: 5 Speakercraft Aim5Three in ceiling. Yeah I know all in ceiling is advised against by most of you, but its the best way to go w/ my room set up.

Home Theater guy I'm working with is trying to steer me to:

Episode Cub sub8 - $300 (I've never heard of Episode and I'm not sure that size sub would be good for that size room)

Speakercraft vital v10 - $450 (not enough boom for the buck?)

What do you all think??

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
Hay jtstot,

I used to own the Klipsch sub 12 its a ok sub for the money in my opinion.

It does play loud but it seems to over inflate certain frequencies giving it a boomy sound for music and sometimes seems like a one note wonder for movies.

I know new egg sometimes has the RW 12D on sale for the same price, I would recommend that sub instead but that's just my opinion.

I guess for the price it does a good job, its just rough around the corners.

#4 ·
I have a 11.2 klipsche system but would not ever use a klipsche sub....they honestly are no good....terrible actually. I have used 3 and all suck compared to what you can get for similar $$$$. I love klipsche speakers but there subs are something to be desired.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976  /t/1421077/opinions-on-klipsch-sub-12hg#post_22243358

I have a 11.2 klipsche system but would not ever use a klipsche sub....they honestly are no good....terrible actually. I have used 3 and all suck compared to what you can get for similar $$$$. I love klipsche speakers but there subs are something to be desired.

Any suggestions on a good $3-400 sub? Opinions on the ones he is trying to talk me into? I can't find any reviews on them?

#6 ·
A lot of people on this forum will want you to use svs or hsu subs. I am afraid of internet brands because I have no way of hearing them. Everyone brags about how food those two brands are though. They say that they are the best deals for the money. Maybe you would like the klipsch sub. Maybe best buy or hh greg would let u return it without a restocking fee to try out for a few days. If you don't like it return it. I think that the klipsch sounds fine, but I only listen to 2 channel music. A lot of these guys use it for movies, so not sure how good it sounds for that. I thought about buying a klipsch sub someday myself.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat  /t/1421077/opinions-on-klipsch-sub-12hg#post_22243573

A lot of people on this forum will want you to use svs or hsu subs. I am afraid of internet brands because I have no way of hearing them. Everyone brags about how food those two brands are though. They say that they are the best deals for the money. Maybe you would like the klipsch sub. Maybe best buy or hh greg would let u return it without a restocking fee to try out for a few days. If you don't like it return it. I think that the klipsch sounds fine, but I only listen to 2 channel music. A lot of these guys use it for movies, so not sure how good it sounds for that. I thought about buying a klipsch sub someday myself.
Just to give you a idea, I had a $1,000 klipsche sub and my $150.00 pioneer sub was better...I now have dual elemental deigns A5-350 wich are awesome....Internet subs are great, proven subs.

#8 ·
does pioneer still make a lot of powered subs? I remember hearing a 12 inch pioneer powered sub playing a movie at service merchandise when they were in business. It sounded pretty good. It was only $400.00 bucks at the time I think. Rob are you a big fan of pioneer? I used to have a pioneer receiver and two 15 inch pioneer speakers that I used to love playing bob seger and fleet wood mac on.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat  /t/1421077/opinions-on-klipsch-sub-12hg#post_22243679

does pioneer still make a lot of powered subs? I remember hearing a 12 inch pioneer powered sub playing a movie at service merchandise when they were in business. It sounded pretty good. It was only $400.00 bucks at the time I think. Rob are you a big fan of pioneer? I used to have a pioneer receiver and two 15 inch pioneer speakers that I used to love playing bob seger and fleet wood mac on.
Not a fan of pioneer that much...I am a denon guy lol!! I would check out elemental design for the sub, you will not regret it!

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976  /t/1421077/opinions-on-klipsch-sub-12hg#post_22243604

Just to give you a idea, I had a $1,000 klipsche sub and my $150.00 pioneer sub was better...I now have dual elemental deigns A5-350 wich are awesome....Internet subs are great, proven subs.

Not sure you want to use eD as the poster child for ID subs, unless you want to highlight how not to run a business...

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstott  /t/1421077/opinions-on-klipsch-sub-12hg#post_22234759

Episode Cub sub8 - $300 (I've never heard of Episode and I'm not sure that size sub would be good for that size room)

The Sub8 has an 8" driver, and your room is 15x20. Unless it has ceilings only 4-5 feet tall that much space will simply overwhelm the thing. I actually have a Speakercraft V12 I'm doing a review on at this very minute, and I can say that the V10 won't be sufficient either.

The RW-12d mentioned earlier seems to be liked by most for HT usage, but less so for music. A pair of Energy S10.3 subs is just a little above your budget, but would probably do very well in a room that size. Sometimes they go on sale for less, so if you have a bit of time to wait you might be able to get a pair for under $400.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson  /t/1421077/opinions-on-klipsch-sub-12hg#post_22244667

Not sure you want to use eD as the poster child for ID subs, unless you want to highlight how not to run a business...
Gotta give you that...had issues with there amps but I dont use those amps....I use O-audio. Yeah wait time was bad to but there product is good (sub design NOT the amp).

#15 ·
Absolutely. At $300-$400 I wouldn't recommend the Klipsch sub-12, but at less than $200 it's a beast for somebody in the market for a budget sub. Even a pair of these at $398 would be good if somebody had a room on the larger side, multiple seating positions and a tight budget. It's all in what you want to spend and what performance you want. ID subs entry level price is $500 (SVS PB-1000) and yes, a pair of those would be better in every way other than maybe mid-bass output, where the sub-12 is very strong. However, dual PB-1000's will cost you $950, more than double.

The only negative I've encountered with the sub-12, as well as a few other people, is that it can start sounding a little flabby over 80Hz. SO I really wouldn't recommend it for somebody with small satellite or bookshelf speakers where a crossover above 80Hz would be needed.

#14 ·
Hi there,
Anyone have this sub? Amazon is having a good deal on this right now: http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Sub-12HG-Synergy-300-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B003VIWK0G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

This is what I have going right now:
Room: 15x20 living room open to kitchen.
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V671
Speakers: 5 Speakercraft Aim5Three in ceiling. Yeah I know all in ceiling is advised against by most of you, but its the best way to go w/ my room set up.

What do you all think??
Thanks
That is a cracker of a sub for $200. It was my very first sub 6 years ago. Though I got it for $480 in its days. Fantastic for movies with great output. A lot of ground shaking bass. Tuning frequency is around 30Hz and useful output down to about 25-26Hz. There is nothing below that. I remember I measured it once.

Cons
  1. Not great for music.
  2. This model is notorious for bad Bash amps giving in prematurely.
  3. No on-board eq; but this isn't a biggie if you have external eq capability.

Overall a nice sub for the asking price, IMO.

#17 ·
I have the synergy 12hg and its ok, but very unsatisfying to listen to IMO. I also bought it on sale for $199, but now can clearly see I should have saved up and bought an ID sub like those recommended on AVS. So only a short time later I am now saving to get the PSA XS15se, which I hope will be a very good match for my particular room and listening habits.

Have you read the sticky thread "List of Budget Subwoofers"? Very helpful! I have learned a lot just reading the postings on this forum a lot of great people and advise. Best wishes on your search!

#18 ·
I have the synergy 12hg and its ok, but very unsatisfying to listen to IMO.
Care to explain, how? What are your room dimensions? How did you set it up? Have an in-room FR? How high did you cross it? In which application did you find it lacking i.e. movies or music?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.