SA-WX700 - How to disable <20hz cutoff - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-20-2012, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have a couple of SA-WX700 subs and have been trying to get the best out of them. I've placed them in optimal positions, dampened and further braced them.

A friend came over and measured them for me. We found out that they were down 6db at 20hz which I was pretty impressed with given their size. The only problem - there was absolutely nothing going on below 20hz.

After doing a bit of internet searching I found out the amplifier has a 20hz cutoff so nothing below 20hz is played. Does anyone know how I can remove/bypass this? I'm guessing there will be a pretty steep roll off below 20hz but these subs definitely have a bit more in them.

Cheers for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-24-2012, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 29
Bump just to add for further detail: The amplifier is a Bang & Olufsen ICE250A.

Here is a link to the full specifications: http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com/files/solutions/icepower250a.pdf

Any ideas?
post #3 of 4 Old 07-24-2012, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 53
hi RT,

I just don't think you're going to get much below 20hz from those subs. Even Sony only rates it down to 20hz, which you're already proven to yourself 2 of them in your room is already -6db. Anything lower will be down even more... And you'd be using what little power it has trying to make it do something it really can't ... probably at the expense of what it otherwise could do reasonably well, i.e. stuff above 20 hz , like the manufacturer states, and you already had someone measure that they just wont do well below that.
I suggest you get a more capable sub if you want to reproduce those frequencies well. Until then, don't try to wring every ounce of performance out of those Sony subs. Let them do what they're capable of.
It has nothing to do with your amp. It is the limit of what those subs can do.

...what a long, strange trip its been.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-25-2012, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 53
not a slight at all. it's more like, you could use a screwdriver to pound in a nail, but a hammer will work better. Even if it's a great screwdriver, that's not the job it was made to do. I'm just saying ...

...what a long, strange trip its been.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page