Does my subwoofer needs replacing? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-22-2012, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently upgraded my receiver to a new Denon AVR3312 which replaces a very old AVR1800. The vendor which I bought the receiver deliver and install in my home theater setup . While testing out the receiver, he commented that my subwoofer does not sound normal, and that the bass is way too "boomy" and good sub-woofers should, according to him not sound boomy at all. Frankly I never given much thought about my sub-woofer and always think the boomy sound is from the soundtrack.

Then he decided to check my sub-woofer and on opening the cover, he said my subwoofers needs replacing. He pointed out to me that the edge of the cone is no longer glued tightly and appears to have loosen ( see photo ). This is an Atlantic Tech sub which I have used for 10 years.

So does my sub-woofer needs replacing? And if so, any good ones to recommend for under USD1000/= ? What's does a good subwoofer suppose to sound like?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-22-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benlee View Post

I recently upgraded my receiver to a new Denon AVR3312 which replaces a very old AVR1800. The vendor which I bought the receiver deliver and install in my home theater setup . While testing out the receiver, he commented that my subwoofer does not sound normal, and that the bass is way too "boomy" and good sub-woofers should, according to him not sound boomy at all. Frankly I never given much thought about my sub-woofer and always think the boomy sound is from the soundtrack.
Then he decided to check my sub-woofer and on opening the cover, he said my subwoofers needs replacing. He pointed out to me that the edge of the cone is no longer glued tightly and appears to have loosen ( see photo ). This is an Atlantic Tech sub which I have used for 10 years.

So does my sub-woofer needs replacing? And if so, any good ones to recommend for under USD1000/= ? What's does a good subwoofer suppose to sound like?
Thanks in advance.

Well it seems the tech is correct and you do need a new sub, or you could maybe replace the speaker itself? What kind of budget do you have if you need to replace the sub?

Jeff
post #3 of 9 Old 07-22-2012, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az View Post

Well it seems the tech is correct and you do need a new sub, or you could maybe replace the speaker itself? What kind of budget do you have if you need to replace the sub?
Jeff

My budget is about USD1000/=.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-22-2012, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
post #5 of 9 Old 07-23-2012, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

What about Velodyne?
post #6 of 9 Old 07-23-2012, 03:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I would glue it back first, search the web for "woofer replace surround edge" you should get results on what glue to use. After that try changing the subs position.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-23-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benlee View Post

What about Velodyne?

None of the major store brands can compete with the ID companies above the $500 price point.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-23-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 280
post #9 of 9 Old 07-29-2012, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your feedback and replies. I decided to buy a new unit instead of repairing the sub as it is a really old sub ( > 12 years old ).

The above subs are either too big for my room size or unfortunately not available in where I lived. I just auditioned a KEF Q400B, the Focal Chorous SW700 and the AE Aegis Neo. Surprising the KEF400b sounded very mediocre despite being the most expensive. The Aegis Neo sounded the best with the rock solid bass but there is a humming sound from the unit which can't be get rid off and it refuses to go to standby. The Focal is the second best sounding and I end up picking that in the end. Very happy so far. The vendor did promised to swap a new unit of Aegis Neo for me if he found out that it is just a stand alone problem.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page