Two RW 12-D's for basement/barn? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-24-2012, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks! I'm excited to be in the market for a sub. After years of apartment living where that wasn't really an option, I now have a house! The basement is for kids playing during the day and HT at night. Eventually I'll get around to daytime HT but there are lots of windows to contend with. Since I've never had a sub (other than with the desktop comp speaker set I bought in college) I know I will be blown away by the diffence. Having said that, I don't want to get crap. Here are my constraints:

80% movies, 10% games, 10% music.
Carpet over concrete.
30x15x8, with a 5x10x8 hallway and a stairwell leading upstairs = somewhere in the neighborhood of 4000 f^3. (Yes, I know. That's why I put "barn" in the title.)
Onkyo SR-608.
I won't be listening at high volumes, but of course expect to hear/feel the LFE as part of the HT experience. But theater-loud sound would bring a big "turn that down" from the wife.

A quick browse makes me think that dual RW-12D's would do the trick. I don't think I want to spend more than $700, but that's not a hard limit if folks think I won't be able to fill the space on that budget.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-24-2012, 06:07 AM

I own the RW-12d for a little over a year now and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. For $300 bucks it is quite a sub. With that said there are a few cons. There tends to be a bit of port noise when pushed hard. Some hear it, others don't care, but it is audible to me, which is annoying sometimes. It also isnt a low-output monster like some other subs. With that said, its still amazing and plays quite loud. Now, since you are looking at HT and spending $700 bucks and want to "feel" the bass, Im not so sure you should'nt consider a few of the other Internet Direct Sellers. For example the SVS pb12-nsd or the new Power Sound Audio XV15 or the HSU vtf-3 mk4. I love my klipsch,but any one of those should whoop it pretty good in home theater. The question you have to ask yourself is do you want 2 pretty good subs at once or 1 awesome sub with the possible addition of another later on. I'm not sure I'd know what to do either lol.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-24-2012, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response! My main concerns are: a) good sound for HT; and, b) filling the room since I plan to have people over for movie nights so a single "sweet spot" listening position wouldn't work. Regarding A, I did say "feel" but didn't necessarily mean "rattle my bones" (alas, must consider the WAF). Good sound and improved HT is my main goal there. Regarding B, my very limited reading suggests that 2 subs will give significantly smoother sound across a room, in addition to, obviously, filling a bigger space.

Other opinions? Two lesser or one greater sub? Reactions to LCDeez's recs?

I looooove the knowledge and responsiveness on this board.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-24-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 471
you will have to raise the budget a LOT to purchase a significantly better sub pair setup than the Klipsch RW-12D pair for $600.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/shootout-five-mid-price-subwoofers

The next actually significant step up is something typically retailing in the $800 to $1200 range per sub. Epik, HSU, SVS, ED, Rythmik, etc... However, you are right about two subs helping to equalize out the FR across the room.

Given the requirement that massive SPL isn't your primary concern I think the Klipsch pair is a good choice while still on sale through tomorrow.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

post #5 of 5 Old 07-25-2012, 10:47 AM

Liked: 13
Is there anyway to install a door at the base of the stairwell?

While my room is a lot smaller, think around 1300 cubed feet (about 19x10x7), I have dual RW-12D's and like them. Like others said, if you push them to their absolute limits then they'll show it but if you lower the level down some then they'll play it fine while provided plenty of bass. gf heard the bass from three houses down while watching Tron Legacy once (-30 db receiver and -15 db on each sub in the depth setting). You can always upgrade later on and get more or save money and get something better. In my opinion and from my impressions of it, I'd pick up two of these at that price if that was my budget vs one higher sub.

Because great sound fills the room, shakes the house, breaks hearts, stirs souls, and always will
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page