Quiet subwoofer (Klipsch rw-12d with onkyo nr709) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-25-2012, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a onkyo tx-709nr with Jamo S606 center and main front speakers connected. The setup sounded great, but I was looking for more base and bought a Klipsch rw-12d subwoofer. The issue is that I cannot seem to get any sound out of the subwoofer except when doing the audyssey multeq xt audio calibration (during setup, audyssey has you trun down the gain on the sub until it is reading 65 db by the calibration mike, and this sub gives out a low rumble that literally feels like an earth quake with dishes rattling in the adjacent kitchen)
I have read through several posts and guides on this forum and cannot seem to figure why I get no appreciable output when playing music (I try turning the sub off and on during high base songs with no difference noted). From my reading I know that my location is not ideal, but I would still expect it to give out some kind of noticeable sound. The only base I am getting right now is from the 8" drivers in the Jamo main front tower speakers.
So far I have gone through the onkyo settings, manually changing crossover to 80Hz, setting LPF of LFE to 120 hz, increasing subwoofer level calibration to +10 (which again shakes the house when I adjust the setting), increasing subwoofer equalizer settings to +6db at 25hz, 40hz, and 63hz.
For the sub, i have verified that the LPF is set to bypass, performed the audysses on flat tone and changed to punch after setup.

At this point I a at a loss for ideas. The only thing I can think of is that I am missing some "confirm" step on the receiver so that even though I am making the changes, they are not being accepted until I do some additional step. Anyone have any thoughs ?? confused.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-25-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Do you have the main speakers set to Small? If set to Large, you won't get bass unless you are in one of the digital formats supporting 5.1.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-25-2012, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply TornadoTJ. I have read that about the large and small speakers, but don't see that option in the settings. I assumed that by choosing 80hz crossover for the speakers, it was the same as choosing small speakers- could this be correct? I will look again through the options.

Just to add, I have tried all the options in this link without success http://www.robbroy.net/HT/SubwooferErrors.cfm
post #4 of 6 Old 07-25-2012, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

TornadoTJ, from your post about the 5.1 digital format, I tried playing a U571 DVD and the subwoofer scared the hell out of me and my fiance. Pictures on the wall literally moved and had to be straightened out before I could get a chance to turn down the volume. So at this point I know that the subwoofer works great. If only I could get it work all the time rolleyes.gif
post #5 of 6 Old 07-25-2012, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am actually having a similar issue. My Klipsch sub is only putting out any bass with my onkyo SR605 when I crank the volume into the 80s (only doing this during the level calibration screen). And even then I am not getting much sound.

Speakers are set to small, crossing them over at 50. lfe is set to 80. However changing any or all of these has not worked.

Is it possible that the cable needs to be replaced. Or that the unit is blown? I don't hear any rattle or anything like that
post #6 of 6 Old 07-27-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all,

I figured out my problem. Found a thread where someone mentioned that recievers do not use the sub in stereo mode. I'm not sure what mode my reciever was in, but on the remote it has buttons for "movie/tv", "music", "game", and "THX". By putting the reciever in either "movie/TV", or "game" mode, the sub cranks biggrin.gif. Had to turn it down because it was way to excessive. Hope this helps others out there.

As a bit of info for those who cannot get their sub to work under any other conditons than in dolby 5.1, as a last resort I was planning to wire it inline with the speakers like this guy did:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/293095/what-to-do-if-your-subwoofer-only-works-sometimes

Another option I was planning to try before this was to reset my receiver per Onkyo's website trouble shooting guide. (I think they suggest this because it is a catchall solution to correct any weird settings you may have inadvertently put your receiver in)
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr709 , Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each
Gear in this thread - Nr709 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page