post #61 of 65 Old 10-09-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz View Post

How would an analog Y cable cause data loss?

The signal is effectively cut in half. One sub will play one half of the signal and the other will only play the other half, but since they are in different locations, they will be out of phase, and the signal will suffer self-cancellation which culminates in data loss.eek.gif
Oh, also at the separating juncture of the split, electromagnetic "tear" discharges energy which saps the upper bounds of the signal strength, which thusly results in compression, and again, you have a loss of data. wink.gif
I should also mention low voltage backflow, when, if you have two subwoofers on a single cable, can create a reverse short circuit thereby producing a data inversion- a form of data loss. tongue.gif
And, of course, the magnetic field flux from the woofers can 'leach' on to the cable's magnetic field, which is normal, but if you have two opposing woofer fields, the recombined 'leached' energy carry can cause total protonic reversal. Needless to say, that will cause data loss. biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 65 Old 10-09-2012, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Low level programming confuses the heck out of digital data, especially when using an analogue line. It doesn't know if it's digital or analogue or if it should go left or right and ends up getting lost. Duh! tongue.gif

j/k
post #63 of 65 Old 10-09-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez View Post

For dual sub, I don't think going with a Y cable is a good idea = DATA LOSS
Not good. Stick with a single sub.
Meanwhile, I do like my SVS SB12-NSD. No complaints.

I defer to Mark Seaton of Seaton Sounds, who has suggested the use of a y adapter for uses like this.

http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/post/Two-New-Submersives-One-SW-Output-4849441

He also goes on to recommend reasonably priced cables too. I would think that on the topic of subwoofers and low frequncey signals, Mark would be considered a well respected expert on the topic(s).

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
For Sale: ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair)[/B]:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
post #64 of 65 Old 10-09-2012, 03:57 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpose View Post

I dont think anyone disagrees with that. I called SVS and HSU and the recommended larger subs as well.
The issue here is that after I posted that I was happy with my sub in my space and didnt need anything more powerful, the response was essentially: i) other people (who dont live with me and have no bearing on whether I am happy with my setup in my space) have been unhappy with larger subs; and ii) the OP doesnt know what he is missing because he hasn't heard anything larger. Hence the discussion re: goals/ need.

I know I'm 2 months late for this discussion... BTW, I'm glad you like the SB12, SVS makes awesome subs. I was gonna recommend getting the PC12-NSD. The reason for that is the footprint, I think since it's a cylinder and not a box, that it would have a smaller footprint. But then again, the PC12 is ported and is louder then the SB12... which would have been bad in your current living situation.

post #65 of 65 Old 10-09-2012, 04:04 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

I defer to Mark Seaton of Seaton Sounds, who has suggested the use of a y adapter for uses like this.
http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/post/Two-New-Submersives-One-SW-Output-4849441
He also goes on to recommend reasonably priced cables too. I would think that on the topic of subwoofers and low frequncey signals, Mark would be considered a well respected expert on the topic(s).

I was told the same thing when I asked about a 2 sub setup. To boil it down.... with the frequencies that subs are dealing with I was told that cables don't make much of a difference at all. The difference in sound between a $30 cable and a $100 cable is negligible. I could have been told wrong.... but if I was it was by someone on this forum tongue.gif

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page