dayton sub-120 upgrade to psw505? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-30-2012, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
been pretty happy with the dayton sub 120 i have had for about 4 years and wondering if an upgrade to a polk psw505 would be a significant upgrade? can get the polk for under $300. any other sub that would give me more bang for the buck under that price point? F12 comparable lesser greater then the psw505? F12 an upgrade from the dayton?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-31-2012, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Neither of those would be much of an upgrade. Here's a sub that will get you deeper, for a hair over budget

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078&Tpk=rw12d
post #3 of 4 Old 08-01-2012, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I agree with Jay 1 as those subs mentioned would not be much of an upgrade at all as it would be more of a lateral move, The Klipsch rw12d Jay 1 has posted can be had from time to time from New Egg for $300, it seems they are on sale about every other month.

You mentioned you were pretty happy/satisfied with the Dayton 120, I assume you are looking into more "umph"... or are you looking just to fill the room more?? If youre looking to fill the room more then I would suggest running dual subs. Running dual wount really give more bass in essence but it fills the room out much more. I see you can get the Dayton sub ( now 1200) for $120... looks as its a very good price, I have never had the chance to hear the Dayton but I did at one time have dual Bic Pl-200, which is a slightly better performer than the F-12 you mentioned. THe Bics are a pretty decent sub esp. when you take in the price its just that I dont think it may be a HUGE difference from what you have already.

When I replaced my dual Pl's with the PA-150 I noticed quite the difference, as the PA-150 hits harder than the Bics every could. I now have an Outlaw EX along with the PA-150 as I can tell a difference between the two but onlly in the lower hz such as 18-30. Of corse both subs are over the Budget you listed as the PA-150 I think can still be had for around $380 as the OutlawEX is $650.

I guess my point is unless your willing to strech the budget you listed I dont think there will be much more of an inprovement IMHO. If you are just looking into filling out the room then I would just suggest going with another Dayton 1200 for $120 as that will save you money as well.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-02-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
thanks for the input gentleman. the dayton got whacked by lightning along with most of my other av equipment. when i looked up getting another i saw the power of the amp in the 1200 is less and just thought i maybe could find something a little better. I have seen reference to the klipsch and would love to find one on sale. not an immediate need as at the moment i am getting by on the speakers in my half fried panny plasma while i wait for the insurance check to show up. thinking it might be worth a wait for a bit to see if that klipsch goes on sale is what i'm thinking from your input
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page