Upgrade from SVS Pb12-plus/2 to Submersive HP or Captivator S2 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which Subwoofer will work in my room
Submersive HP 19 34.55%
Captivator S2 29 52.73%
Captivator S 1 1.82%
SVS PB13 Ultra 4 7.27%
JL Audio F113 2 3.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 68 Old 05-30-2014, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

While the S2 is a solid sub, it's definitely NOT a chest thumper............for that, look at Orbital Shifter.

While being an S2 owner with 6 months experience using sub............my quad UXL's are head and shoulders better performers. I ran dual UXL's for 2-3 weeks while I waited for other two drivers to arrive. Even then, UXL's were more capable below 15 Hz and exceeded above 60 Hz in output by 3-4 db's.

I will never, ever buy a commercial sub again........

How much did they cost you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 05-31-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanbyte View Post

How much did they cost you?

To build all four..........including everything ie amp, boxes, hardware, eq, wire ...........everything for complete system.............about $4,200 USD. You could do all four much cheaper.........but it might be a bit of struggle since I purchased UXL's at group buy pricing. TC Sound LMS 5400 Ultra quality but at a much lower price..........

Have all four crossed over at 100 Hz with no localization issues. I'm close to flat down to 8 Hz.........reference at 8 Hz is a memorable experience..........UXL's handle with a plumb but am close to max excursion.

Try to get these results with commercial subs............not happening.
post #63 of 68 Old 05-31-2014, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

To build all four..........including everything ie amp, boxes, hardware, eq, wire ...........everything for complete system.............about $4,200 USD. You could do all four much cheaper.........but it might be a bit of struggle since I purchased UXL's at group buy pricing. TC Sound LMS 5400 Ultra quality but at a much lower price..........

If you bought the UXL's at group buy pricing, it means you only spent $1640 on the 4 drivers. How did you spend $2500 on the rest when the drivers are usually by far the most expensive part of a multi sub DIY project?
post #64 of 68 Old 05-31-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerFE View Post

If you bought the UXL's at group buy pricing, it means you only spent $1640 on the 4 drivers. How did you spend $2500 on the rest when the drivers are usually by far the most expensive part of a multi sub DIY project?

Amps, DIYSoundgroup flat packs, rack accessories, wire Speakon connects, eq, dampening material, primer, paint etc........

I didn't go on the cheap..........ie Behringer amps.

$4200 was my final cost for all four giving 2000 watts each.......
post #65 of 68 Old 05-31-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Even with expensive amps and whatever you saved $1800. That is assuming the Cap driver will be the same as the UXL driver. Coming from Fi and owning Fi drivers I would most likely. My IB drivers really move some air.
post #66 of 68 Old 05-31-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:

Have all four crossed over at 100 Hz with no localization issues. I'm close to flat down to 8 Hz.........reference at 8 Hz is a memorable experience..........UXL's handle with a plumb but am close to max excursion.

Try to get these results with commercial subs............not happening.

Should use logarithmic scale on the x-axis, and 45-105 on Y-axis for 5 dB increment, unofficially more standard scaling.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #67 of 68 Old 06-06-2014, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Amps, DIYSoundgroup flat packs, rack accessories, wire Speakon connects, eq, dampening material, primer, paint etc........

I didn't go on the cheap..........ie Behringer amps.

$4200 was my final cost for all four giving 2000 watts each.......

Great info! I checked your your diy thread and spent quite some time reading some of the posts (all this is just too addictive).

how do you find the SQ compared to S2? Is it similar?

Also i dont have room for OS that's why was looking at one s2 as an option. I currently have a rythmik fv15hp which is a great but as everyone else eventually craves, i want more bass, clean and impactful (chest thump) at higher volumes. The fv15hp handles it well for most part, but sometimes (esp during demoing) i tend to run it quite hot.

If OS is not an option, how would the captivator 2400 compare?
post #68 of 68 Old 06-09-2014, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanbyte View Post

Great info! I checked your your diy thread and spent quite some time reading some of the posts (all this is just too addictive).

how do you find the SQ compared to S2? Is it similar?

Also i dont have room for OS that's why was looking at one s2 as an option. I currently have a rythmik fv15hp which is a great but as everyone else eventually craves, i want more bass, clean and impactful (chest thump) at higher volumes. The fv15hp handles it well for most part, but sometimes (esp during demoing) i tend to run it quite hot.

If OS is not an option, how would the captivator 2400 compare?

One S2 will not do it.........four UXL's will!

As far as sound quality, very similar. Dual UXL's performed better below 15Hz and above 60 Hz.......that's what my measurements show.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page