Budget Musical sub - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-31-2012, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone

I have spent the last 1 month reading this forum but I still couldnt zero in on a subwoofer myself. I really hope I am not creating a redundant topic here.

This is my first venture into buying components of my system separately. I picked up Pioneer SP BS21 LR when they were on sale on NE.

I have since then been looking for a decent sub (and an amp but thats not for this forum) to complete my system.

My system is mostly meant for music. I will watch a few movies but as long as my music sounds good I am happy about it.

I dont have a lot of budget as I am student living off teaching assistance. I want to spend a total of ~$200 for the sub and the amp but having read a lot it seems I might have to stretch it to ~$300 (for sub+amp).

After reading a bit online it seems Energy S10.3 seems to be pretty popular. But its still ~$200. Can I go any lower? Something like a Dayton Audio SUB1200?

Note that my room is not very big. I dont have the exact dimentions but ~300 sq feet I guess or maybe even smaller. I dont know the height. I will try and put down the exact dimensions as soon as I can. (I shift into my new apartment this week).

P.S.: If someone can tell me a sub+amp bundle to complete my system that would be awesome! biggrin.gif

Regards
Akshay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I think your best bet is going used, it does require a bit of patience though as you have to wait for the right one to be available
Old 07-31-2012, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

I have been looking at used subs.

I have found one that i think could be great for me

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/velodyne-va-1512-subwoofer-12-750w

It seems velodyne is well regarded here. But as it is an auction I have no idea what to bid! any suggestions?

Searching around my in my area (Houstons) craigslist I cant seem to find anything useful!
Old 07-31-2012, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 1031
Well, I gotta admire the trying to stick to a budget attitude in your current financial position, it's a pretty small budget at $300 let alone to somehow include an amp (AVR? Integrated amp? Power amp?). However, more details of what you are using the system for in terms of type of music (demands of classical a bit different than some bass heavy modern music...) would be helpful. I'd think a metro area like Houston might have something and I'd keep on eye on craigslist more than Audiogon for your price range. Why did you start with the Pioneer speakers particularly?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 07-31-2012, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Well, I gotta admire the trying to stick to a budget attitude in your current financial position, it's a pretty small budget at $300 let alone to somehow include an amp (AVR? Integrated amp? Power amp?). However, more details of what you are using the system for in terms of type of music (demands of classical a bit different than some bass heavy modern music...) would be helpful. I'd think a metro area like Houston might have something and I'd keep on eye on craigslist more than Audiogon for your price range. Why did you start with the Pioneer speakers particularly?

Well the pioneers were an impulsive buy...i had been looking to start my audio setup for a while and had read good things about them even at ~$90...when they turned of $50 it was too hard for me to resist the temptation...the only thing being said about them was that you need a sub to bring out the full range as they really dont have a lot of extension...which is where i am stuck...they have also given me another problem...they have a nominal impedance of 6ohms...almost every budget amp i read about had a warning not to use it with speakers with nominal impedance below 8ohm!

anyways back to subwoofer...
i listen to a variety of music...mostly its
-rock(SOAD,Radiohead,Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd,Primus and then mostly 60s/70s/80s rock)
-punk(RHCP/rise against/plain white t's)
-metal(megadeth etc)
-jazz(miles davis mostly)
-i do like to listen to some sound tracks (hans zimmer/Ludovico)

my girlfriend is also a big music fan and listens to operas a lot

so even though i sometimes have periods where i listen to bass heavy music, i think most of music more than absolute volume i would prefer as much definition as i can get...

as for your question about the amp...i am really not looking for an AVR at this budget...i will onl go down that route if i can snag one used...as for integrated amp vs. power amp...i have no preference as such
Old 08-01-2012, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeguruakshay View Post

as for your question about the amp...i am really not looking for an AVR at this budget...i will onl go down that route if i can snag one used...as for integrated amp vs. power amp...i have no preference as such

What are you using to drive your speakers now? To use a power amp you'd need a pre-amp or a receiver with pre-outs so it's a matter of current equipment/budget. An integrated amp has a pre amp and amp in one box and can take various inputs like a receiver, although some not as many but mainly no tuner section for radio...

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 08-01-2012, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

What are you using to drive your speakers now? To use a power amp you'd need a pre-amp or a receiver with pre-outs so it's a matter of current equipment/budget. An integrated amp has a pre amp and amp in one box and can take various inputs like a receiver, although some not as many but mainly no tuner section for radio...

right now the speakers are happily sitting inside the box! frown.gif

i was looking at integrates amps...if i can get a nice power amp i wont mind adding a preamp on my own...from what i saw you can get a preamp for ~$20-30 which isnt a huge investment...something like(http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-PP400-Ultra-Compact-Phono-Preamp/dp/B000H2BC4E)...obviously i would prefer an integrated amp....but i can probably go for a preamp+power amp
Old 08-01-2012, 01:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

right now the speakers are happily sitting inside the box! frown.gif

i was looking at integrates amps...if i can get a nice power amp i wont mind adding a preamp on my own...from what i saw you can get a preamp for ~$20-30 which isnt a huge investment...something like(http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-PP400-Ultra-Compact-Phono-Preamp/dp/B000H2BC4E)...obviously i would prefer an integrated amp....but i can probably go for a preamp+power amp

That's a phono preamp. Good if you want to use a turntable with an integrated amp with no phono input stage, but won't help you power an amp. What will you use as a source of your music? A turntable? Separate amps/pre-amps are usually kinda pricey. Receivers are best bang for the buck generally. Integrated amps for cheap can be had but they're quite limited.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I would still consider a used AVR despite the 6 ohm rating of your bookshelves. Considering that you will only be running two of the amps channels in a smallish room, you should be perfectly fine. I would perhaps consider a good fan to place on top of the AVR or at least give it proper ventilation. Built in calibration is also a plus when integrating a sub and speaker system in an inperfect room. I found a few AVRs for sale in the AVS classified section for around $200 or less:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1421924/denon-avr-791-7-1-channel-a-v-home-theater-receiver

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417275/denon-3803-av-reciever-atlanta-ga

In this case you can run your speakers full range for the time being and save up for a good budget music sub such as the Energy you mentioned. Once you add a good sub, it will take the burden off of your AVR and speakers
Old 08-01-2012, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

so basically for me something like this

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=302-601

would be pretty useless? will i need to add a preamp?

about AVR what about this one...its a refurb

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1312/DENON-AVR-1312-5.1-Channel-A/V-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html

or

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR391/DENON-AVR-391-5.1-Channel-AV-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html

P.S.
on the subwoofer front can anyone suggest if the velodyne va-1512 is a good deal at ~$100-120?
Old 08-01-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

so basically for me something like this

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=302-601

would be pretty useless? will i need to add a preamp?

about AVR what about this one...its a refurb

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1312/DENON-AVR-1312-5.1-Channel-A/V-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html

or

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR391/DENON-AVR-391-5.1-Channel-AV-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html

P.S.
on the subwoofer front can anyone suggest if the velodyne va-1512 is a good deal at ~$100-120?

That is an integrated amp, but has limitations. It can only accept two sources, which may or may not be fine for your uses (or if you don't mind reaching in back to unplug one for another). The AVRs have much more in the way of connectivity/sources/controls/features than the a/b speakers switch and volume and balance control than that integrated amp provides.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

based on people suggesting to look for a receiver i looked around a bit

http://www.accessories4less.com/index.php?page=item&id=ONKTX8255&gclid=CJiXpP7Wx7ECFYTd4AoduVkAFg

how does this one sound?

here are the specs

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-8255&class=Receiver&p=s

will it handle my 6ohm speakers well?

the reason i was looking for an amplifier was that i dont really need all the bells and whistles of a receiver...i will mostly have 1 source (my mp3 player..cowon j3...playing flac through aux)...at a later stage I hope to add my HTPC but that would likely take some time...
Old 08-01-2012, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

..i will mostly have 1 source (my mp3 player..cowon j3...playing flac through aux)...at a later stage I hope to add my HTPC but that would likely take some time...

Not familiar with that player...how do you expect to get FLAC benefits from it's output through analog?

Old 08-01-2012, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Not familiar with that player...

http://www.jetaudio.com/products/cowon/j3/tech_specs.html

this is my darling..my life...cant live without it...i keep some selected music of mine in flac to have it in umcompressed form...where I think mp3 doesnt do it justice..most of it mp3@320kbits/s is good enough...i wasnt aware that flac makes a diff in analog vs digital...i use my Audio Technicas ATH-M50s on a regular basis...and in some songs I could make out an audible difference...those I keep in flac...

btw any opinion on the onkyo TX-8255...from what I could read seems to have good reviews...good deal at $100 refurb?
Old 08-02-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Not familiar with that player...

http://www.jetaudio.com/products/cowon/j3/tech_specs.html

this is my darling..my life...cant live without it...i keep some selected music of mine in flac to have it in umcompressed form...where I think mp3 doesnt do it justice..most of it mp3@320kbits/s is good enough...i wasnt aware that flac makes a diff in analog vs digital...i use my Audio Technicas ATH-M50s on a regular basis...and in some songs I could make out an audible difference...those I keep in flac...

btw any opinion on the onkyo TX-8255...from what I could read seems to have good reviews...good deal at $100 refurb?

Fancy pocket player ya got there. Does appear to have analog outs, just depends on the quality of the DAC it employs as to the quality of the sound output through those analog outs.
Sorry, no opinions on stereo receivers, although I think I've read good things about the Onkyo, but search model numbers here in the forums and you'll likely get lots of information.
Good luck!

Old 08-03-2012, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

...just depends on the quality of the DAC it employs as to the quality of the sound output through those analog outs...

http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/codecs/WM8960/

this is the DAC chip it uses