Idea for a sub. What do you think? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-01-2012, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have been wanting a new sub, but simply can't afford it right now. Well this morning I had an idea. In my car I have a pair of Kicker CVR12's, and in my house I have an Adcom GFA-555 that is currently unused. The GFA-555 can be bridged to run at 600w RMS into 8ohms. I have my kickers wired for 8 ohms, so that shouldn't be an issue. I plan to use the sub output from my HK AVR 3600 which iirc is crossed over at 100hz. Here is the enclosure I have. What do you guys think? Will this sound good?

Here are my subs.

and here's my amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

I'm guessing by the lack of responses that this is either a really bad idea or not very many of you have tried it. Either way, I'd like to hear about it.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaked05 View Post

I'm guessing by the lack of responses that this is either a really bad idea or not very many of you have tried it. Either way, I'd like to hear about it.

Around here people typically don't endulge in using car audio for home theater use, however, the only thing that matters is how it sounds to you. So if you don't mind the labor involved try it and see if it meets your needs smile.gif
Old 08-02-2012, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The specs of the 2005 & 2007 CVR12 don't look terrible (haven't actualy run a sim, just eyeballing), but that box is most likely too small and tuned too high to be effective in a home setting. Car subwoofers generally depend on the size of the car interior to create cabin gain and boost the low end. You can get cabin gain in a home setting, but the gain typically starts 1-2 octaves lower than you'll find in a car. The CVR12s don't have a tremendous amount of Xmax so take it easy on the volume control if you do try it.

-Brent
Old 08-02-2012, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverwolf View Post

The specs of the 2005 & 2007 CVR12 don't look terrible (haven't actualy run a sim, just eyeballing), but that box is most likely too small and tuned too high to be effective in a home setting. Car subwoofers generally depend on the size of the car interior to create cabin gain and boost the low end. You can get cabin gain in a home setting, but the gain typically starts 1-2 octaves lower than you'll find in a car. The CVR12s don't have a tremendous amount of Xmax so take it easy on the volume control if you do try it.
-Brent

Thank you for the insight. This is the type of information I am looking for. Please continue anyone who has more to offer. I know there there are a few who have done similar, and I would like to hear from them how satisfied they are.