earthquake ff 12 sub - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 08-02-2012, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
has anybody ever listened to an earthquake ff 12 sub?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-03-2012, 05:23 AM

Location: Left of the right coast and right of the left coast.
Liked: 14
I have, on several occasions. Retail is way too high ($799 I think) for it but if you can find one at a deep discount, it is a solid performer.
post #3 of 19 Old 08-03-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 468
MSRP on the Earthquake website is $699, which is a lot for a sub with 400 "mystery" (RMS? dynamic?) watts and an unpublished FR.

Then again, it does have "patented TCT © (Turbine Cooled Transducer) Technology" and it is "Chill-plated for long lasting linear performance". wink.gifsmile.gif
post #4 of 19 Old 08-03-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 239
For $699, you can get the NHT B12D subwoofer, which IMO is the best you can buy for under $1000.

It is an acoustic suspension design, which IMO is superior to ported designs; much cleaner sound and more linear frequency response. It has a 500 watt RMS amplifier.

It also has a beautiful piano-black finish and is only 14" on each side.

I have had it for over a year and love it.
post #5 of 19 Old 08-03-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

350 online but i am trying to match them with dynaudio bm 5a studio monitors or really just trying to get a musical sub as cheap as i can. the cheapest i can the matching dynaudio sub is 999.00
post #6 of 19 Old 08-03-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

For $699, you can get the NHT B12D subwoofer, which IMO is the best you can buy for under $1000.
It is an acoustic suspension design, which IMO is superior to ported designs; much cleaner sound and more linear frequency response. It has a 500 watt RMS amplifier.

In a blind test conducted by Archaea and others, most of the listeners couldn't reliably tell the difference between the sealed and the ported subs. Here is the thread. These folks weren't messing around. The subs they used were some of the best of each genre.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1387178/archaeas-kansas-city-blind-subwoofer-shootout-2012
post #7 of 19 Old 08-03-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
... just trying to get a musical sub as cheap as i can.
If your room is small to medium-sized, you might want to consider the well-rated SVS SB12-NSD ($649, shipped), or the SSA Rumba 12 ($549 + shipping).

If HT isn't a priority, the Emotiva X-Ref 10 ($499, shipped). It was recently on sale for ~$399, shipped, and will likely be on sale again at some point.
post #8 of 19 Old 08-03-2012, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

If your room is small to medium-sized, you might want to consider the well-rated SVS SB12-NSD ($649, shipped), or the SSA Rumba 12 ($549 + shipping).
If HT isn't a priority, the Emotiva X-Ref 10 ($499, shipped). It was recently on sale for ~$399, shipped, and will likely be on sale again at some point.

While I see your point, the blind testing done by Archaea (and others), puts a very different viewpoint on the audible difference between sealed and ported.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1387178/archaeas-kansas-city-blind-subwoofer-shootout-2012
post #9 of 19 Old 08-03-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12.html
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12G.html
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F15.html
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/sb12-nsd
http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/empire.html

How about you take a look at those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

In a blind test conducted by Archaea and others, most of the listeners couldn't reliably tell the difference between the sealed and the ported subs. Here is the thread. These folks weren't messing around. The subs they used were some of the best of each genre.

He doesn't care. He seems to dismiss all tests done on AVS especially if it shows that a million dollar cable doesn't perform any better than a cheap one from MonoPrice. Or that an ID only company produces a better over all product than the limited products he has experience with. Or if it proves that his Cambridge Audio receivers he pushes in every single AVR thread doesn't sound any better than those mass market Onkyo and Denons.

Don't you just love his posts how he pushes certain brands no matter what the OP wants? And they are the exact same copy paste responses to every thread.
post #10 of 19 Old 08-03-2012, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
While I see your point ...
I wasn't trying to make one. If I though the OP's budget ceiling was higher, I'd've suggested he look at the PB12-NSD. As it is, I think I may have been pushing it ("it" being my interpretation of his budget ceiling) by suggesting the SB12-NSD.
post #11 of 19 Old 08-04-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlikey View Post

Since the Eearthquake FF12 is ported, the OP might as well go with the Energy S10.3, Its reputation is sterling.

By hanging around on this Forum the OP is experiencing the Interet Direct phenomenon. There is a saying about horses and water biggrin.gif
post #12 of 19 Old 08-04-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

thanks i will try and find a place to listen the nht and music is the main quality i am looking for in a sub. i have kinda outgrown the high spl woofers i used to put in my cars over the years but i thank everyone for their suggestions. tv is very secondary for what i am looking for in a sub.
post #13 of 19 Old 08-04-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Not sure where you getting high SPL woofers like you used in your car. Cause everything that has been mentioned is sound quality first over just pure boom boom. Earthquake stuff is just that, sloppy boom boom boom and nothing more.

Theres handfuls of other subs I and many others would take over the NHT sub Commsysman listed. Rythmik would kill it for a music only system. SVS SB12 NSD would probably outperform it as well, plus you get free shipping and free 45 day in home trial. Emotiva also gets rave reviews.
post #14 of 19 Old 08-04-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:

For the $350 or so they sell for it's not a bad sub, but the current incarnation was discontinued a few months back. A batch of the newly revised version is already on a container ship headed for our shores, and should be available for sale within a month. You might want to wait until they're available.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #15 of 19 Old 08-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I just got an Epik Legend and this thing is really nice! Dual opposing 12"s and it pounds,but no boominess at all. Nice and tight.. The op would be pleased I think $499..
post #16 of 19 Old 08-06-2012, 01:59 PM

Liked: 11
I just returned one to onlyfactorydirect.com My experience was with an open box item that was flawless but missing the manual and original box at just over $200

For what it's worth I think there are better deals to be had at the $300-350 price point. If you can get one for ~$200 then I think you are getting a good deal on an ok sub. I only had the chance to compare it directly with my OLD Cerwin Vega HT10-PWR and a new Outlaw LFE-EX. In all honesty I thought the FF12 was much more accurate than my ancient 10 but in direct comparison they both fell off after 40Hz and provided nothing usable SPL wise in that range for my huge 28x30 family room. (which I expected, I had hoped to buy multiple subs) If pushed hard the FF12 did start to come alive but port noise was very noticeable and I feared to bottom it out. When I placed it in a normal sized bedroom it was very capable of shacking the walls but still fell off after 36Hz with nothing under 30 at all. And I won't even compare it to the Outlaw because that just isn't fair on any level, the Outlaw blows it away in all categories other than ease of relocation. wink.gif

I wish I could have kept mine because I would like to retire my old CV that is starting to sound muddy and boomy (the FF12 made me realize how bad it had become) and at the price I paid I felt it was a fair amount. On the plus side if you deal with onlyfactorydirect.com I have nothing but good things to say. They answered my questions, they let me demo the sub, and they were very prompt with a refund. A+ for them.

HTH
post #17 of 19 Old 08-07-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

While I see your point, the blind testing done by Archaea (and others), puts a very different viewpoint on the audible difference between sealed and ported.

I'm more likely to gain from the experience of Archaea who showed a sceptical audience that when blind folded people couldn't tell any difference between sealed and ported. Jonathn (Archaea) is one of our most important resources when it comes to all manner of issues relating to the differences between subwoofers. That brings us back to the Energy S10.3 which Archaea along with many others finds the Energy S10.3 to be a really good perfomer for $200 or less smile.gif
post #18 of 19 Old 08-08-2012, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

first i would like to thank everyone for their comments and advice. i have found a dynaudio bm9s (used) 399 and found a local energy dealer and plan on seeing if they have one of s10 to listen to.
post #19 of 19 Old 08-08-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

first i would like to thank everyone for their comments and advice. i have found a dynaudio bm9s (used) 399 and found a local energy dealer and plan on seeing if they have one of s10 to listen to.

With those two choices, you might as well flip a coin, with the heads up going to the Energy...
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page