MFW-15 failing, possible replacement options... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-02-2012, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dear AV Squad,
Need some advice. My MFW-15 (v2 amp) is starting to emit a static sound, to which I can only assume is beginning to fail. Now, what to replace it with.?.?. The room is 5600cuFT with hardwood floors, and the acoustics are not ideal. I'm 60/40 movies/music.
Budget = $1500, excluding shipping. Below are 4 options that I came up with, however, I'm open to whatever the professionals, you, might have to propose. Sub appearance/looks is a non issue. I would like to stay 15" and above *wink* to help fill the room, and something like 4x separate 12"-ers would be too esthetically imposing, and not a likely option. SQ, SPL, DB, and low end depth are all important qualities being sought.

1. single JTR Captivator 1000
http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/captivator-1000/

2. dual CraigSUB SS-18.1 Passive w/ 1 Behringer EUROPOWER EP4000 amp
https://www.chasehometheater.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=586&category_id=29&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=143&redirected=1&Itemid=143
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/EP4000.aspx

3. dual Epik Empires
http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/dualempire.html

4. SeatonSound MFW Turbo upgrade kit for my existing, single, MFW-15
http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/post?id=3884379

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

I thank you in advance!

Espazito
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-07-2012, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

*sad face*
post #3 of 14 Old 08-07-2012, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I'd consider the Rythmik FV15HP smile.gif

post #4 of 14 Old 08-07-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Tough call for me. With that size room I would say go for the Cap, but the dual CHT subs make a lot of sense as well...
post #5 of 14 Old 09-26-2012, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone else care to weigh in? I need a larger sample size of suggestions. Thank you!
post #6 of 14 Old 09-26-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Well, the turbo kit from MCCA is solid and significantly less than your budget. The JTR and Epik are probably good choices also.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-26-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 220
I've owned dual MFW-15 Turbo's with the Acoustic Elegance drivers and loved them. I think the new driver offers even a little more output. You have been content with a single sub so far, so this would be best economical decision and I think probably has the best sound quality of all your choices. It is really a huge improvement over the standard MFW-15 sub.

I've heard dual SS 18.1's on several occasions. They sound good with enough power, but I don't like their native frequency response. I also don't like the native response of the Empire, but if you are going to EQ you can take care of it.

I haven't heard the Captivator 1000, but have heard dual Captivator Pros which use a different driver. I don't really feel that you will gain a whole lot by going with the Captivator 1000 over the MFW-15 Turbo.

If you really want an improvement in output and can stretch the budget, then I would recommend the JTR Orbit Shifter Pro which is currently on special for $1699 plus you need an amp. 5600 cubic feet is a lot of space and needs some substantial output.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-27-2012, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

If you really want an improvement in output and can stretch the budget, then I would recommend the JTR Orbit Shifter Pro which is currently on special for $1699 plus you need an amp. 5600 cubic feet is a lot of space and needs some substantial output.
That is very interesting to me, but at nearly 200lbs, yikes! Hope that has free shipping. Joking aside, at your best assumption would the Behringer EUROPOWER EP4000 amplifier sufficiently power this beast?
post #9 of 14 Old 09-27-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 141

Can you cut wood?

post #10 of 14 Old 09-27-2012, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Can you cut wood?
DIY?
post #11 of 14 Old 09-27-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espazito View Post

Quote:

Can you cut wood?
DIY?

Now your talkin'

You can get serious with $15-1700.......

post #12 of 14 Old 09-27-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:

That is very interesting to me, but at nearly 200lbs, yikes! Hope that has free shipping. Joking aside, at your best assumption would the Behringer EUROPOWER EP4000 amplifier sufficiently power this beast?
The Orbit Shifter has a dual voice coil and can be wired for 8 or 2 ohm. I think you could also connect each voice coil separately to the amp for a 4 ohm load, but you would need to check with Jeff at JTR. The EP4000 will do 1300 watts bridged for 8 ohms and will provide quite a bit of output. You could later add a second EP4000 and use them bridged for each voice coil for around 2000 watts per voice coil.

I think MCCA and/or Mark Seaton has some MFW-15 cabinets available. You can probably get two Turbo kits and a cabinet for your budget.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-27-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

The Orbit Shifter has a dual voice coil and can be wired for 8 or 2 ohm. I think you could also connect each voice coil separately to the amp for a 4 ohm load, but you would need to check with Jeff at JTR. The EP4000 will do 1300 watts bridged for 8 ohms and will provide quite a bit of output. You could later add a second EP4000 and use them bridged for each voice coil for around 2000 watts per voice coil.

I think MCCA and/or Mark Seaton has some MFW-15 cabinets available. You can probably get two Turbo kits and a cabinet for your budget.

Yes!  If you can afford it do this!  They are ~$800 shipped for each kit so $1600 for the kits maybe they can work a package deal for you including the cab and shipping?  If not though shipping these babies is expensiiiiiiiiiiiiive.

Edit:  You could prob get at least $100 shipped for your driver which would maybe cover the shipping of the extra cabinet......

post #14 of 14 Old 09-27-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes!  If you can afford it do this!  They are ~$800 shipped for each kit so $1600 for the kits maybe they can work a package deal for you including the cab and shipping?  If not though shipping these babies is expensiiiiiiiiiiiiive.

Edit:  You could prob get at least $100 shipped for your driver which would maybe cover the shipping of the extra cabinet......

I'll either be modifying & cutting down my SubMersive packing to ship the MFW cabinets or just get some boxes made as I have >50 of them. I expect we'll just squeak them under the max oversize range which gets them most anywhere for well under $100 loaded up, and probably another $20 less without a woofer.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page