AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SVS SB12-NSD Sub Rearrangement - $1200 Silver cable and $200 Copper cable inside - PICS

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  rboster 
#1 ·
See less See more
#3 ·
Here's the subwoofer with $200 Sydney cable! It's outta the cabinet!

It doesn't look as good as the Angel cable though.

HTPC placed inside the cabinet! where the sub was previously. Happy now??

This is better than pron...

Finished product. Betta now?

Nice looking woofer.

Ha!

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez  /t/1423206/svs-sb12-nsd-sub-rearran...nd-200-copper-cable-inside-pics#post_22278446

Applied another lay of wax. So that's 5th layer of wax on the Angel cable.

Wow-those pics make me want to "wax my cable" as well, so to speak
. I guess cable management goes out the window when you spend 4 figures on a cable. You want to be able to show that puppy off

#5 ·
I'm curious as to what waxing the cable does to improve the sound?

And how come you dont list the price on EVEYTHING you own, just the cables?

Is it supposed to impress us?

#7 ·
Why is no one getting this? He only list the price of the cables because those are what matter. Its like if you buy a 92 oldsmobile cutlass and put 22" rims on it. You're gonna tell people that the rims are $10k, but your not going to tell people the car cost $700. And the rims are what matter, a 92 olds with 22's will pretty much smoke any ferrari, like his speakers with a $1200 cable will sound better than anything anyone on this board has.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh70  /t/1423206/svs-sb12-nsd-sub-rearran...nd-200-copper-cable-inside-pics#post_22279034

I'm curious as to what waxing the cable does to improve the sound?

And how come you dont list the price on EVEYTHING you own, just the cables?

Is it supposed to impress us?
Well, the A2 speakers run $200. SVS SB12-NSD $650. HTPC is well over $2000. TH-PHD7UY is $5000 (got it in 2005).
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24  /t/1423206/svs-sb12-nsd-sub-rearran...nd-200-copper-cable-inside-pics#post_22279090

Waxing doesn't improve the sound one bit, it will how ever protect the cable from road salt, bird bombs, acid rain, road tar, the same as it does on your car
Your concept is perfectly correct. Yes, to protect from bodily fluid (oil, spit, snot, etc), grease from food, dust, finger prints, etc. It also helps keep from getting scratched. Protection is number one thing to do. Making it look purdy is also super duper important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbean16  /t/1423206/svs-sb12-nsd-sub-rearran...nd-200-copper-cable-inside-pics#post_22279235

Why is no one getting this? He only list the price of the cables because those are what matter. Its like if you buy a 92 oldsmobile cutlass and put 22" rims on it. You're gonna tell people that the rims are $10k, but your not going to tell people the car cost $700. And the rims are what matter, a 92 olds with 22's will pretty much smoke any ferrari, like his speakers with a $1200 cable will sound better than anything anyone on this board has.
I understand your analogy, but not exactly correct. You should have used an 8 lb 17" or 18" dark graphite carbon fiber wheels for the 92 Oldsmobile as an analogy which will make the car accelerate considerably faster. Now that's spot on. You don't want to use 22" wheels as not only the dynamic weight (rotational mass) will increase severely as it will hurt the acceleration... and deceleration... and handling / cornering... It would be a disaster.

There is a huge, I mean "massive" sound difference between a generic cable and a Sydney cable or Angel cable. It is like listening to a different song altogether. The analog cable impact on sound is complex. It affects sound in so many different ways....

Lolz.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153  /t/1423206/svs-sb12-nsd-sub-rearran...nd-200-copper-cable-inside-pics#post_22278895

Wow-those pics make me want to "wax my cable" as well, so to speak
. I guess cable management goes out the window when you spend 4 figures on a cable. You want to be able to show that puppy off
I know. That's why I took pics!

#11 ·
As a child I would only eat name brand cereal because it tasted better till one day I woke up early and caught my mother pouring generic brand cereal into the name brand box. Told me she had been doing it for years.

Moral to the story. Cheap Internet brand cable vs über expensive name brand cable, if you didn't know any better you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. You'd do better to spend that money on room treatments and not on voodoo cables.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez  /t/1423206/svs-sb12-nsd-sub-rearran...nd-200-copper-cable-inside-pics#post_22279368

Well, the A2 speakers run $200. SVS SB12-NSD $650. HTPC is well over $2000. TH-PHD7UY is $5000 (got it in 2005).

Your concept is perfectly correct. Yes, to protect from bodily fluid (oil, spit, snot, etc), grease from food, dust, finger prints, etc. It also helps keep from getting scratched. Protection is number one thing to do. Making it look purdy is also super duper important.

I understand your analogy, but not exactly correct. You should have used an 8 lb 17" or 18" dark graphite carbon fiber wheels for the 92 Oldsmobile as an analogy which will make the car accelerate considerably faster. Now that's spot on. You don't want to use 22" wheels as not only the dynamic weight (rotational mass) will increase severely as it will hurt the acceleration... and deceleration... and handling / cornering... It would be a disaster.

There is a huge, I mean "massive" sound difference between a generic cable and a Sydney cable or Angel cable. It is like listening to a different song altogether. The analog cable impact on sound is complex. It affects sound in so many different ways....

Lolz.
You can't be serious. $1200 cables for $200 speakers? Buying descent cables is one thing but you've got it backwards, you should at least be running $1200 speakers with $200. That would at least make a little sense.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma  /t/1423206/svs-sb12-nsd-sub-rearran...nd-200-copper-cable-inside-pics#post_22280122

The first troll bait thread you started on the same subject a few days ago wasn't enough?

Don't feed the troll!

I haven't been trolling. Rather, entertaining. You are the spectator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofAZ1  /t/1423206/svs-sb12-nsd-sub-rearran...nd-200-copper-cable-inside-pics#post_22288536

As a child I would only eat name brand cereal because it tasted better till one day I woke up early and caught my mother pouring generic brand cereal into the name brand box. Told me she had been doing it for years.

Without somebody telling me, the moment she switches to generic brand cereal to milk I would immediately notice something doesn't taste right. That's what happens when you have sensitive taste buds. Just saying. The concept is there. Not sure cereal would be the best analogy. Light weight wheels and tires versus the heavy, would be an outstanding analogy though. Actually, very, very good.
Quote:
Moral to the story. Cheap Internet brand cable vs über expensive name brand cable, if you didn't know any better you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. You'd do better to spend that money on room treatments and not on voodoo cables.

Wrong moral...

Generic cable vs. mid / high end aftermarket cable = Big difference in sound

There is an immediate difference. If you want me to describe in detail, I would be happy to.

Based on my experience with the A2 speakers w/ generic cable and $200 Sydney cable, the Sydney gave the *unexpected* pop of musical elements. An instrument playing in far background, very faint with generic cable but with Sydney they come right to my face. You can almost "locate" the instruments and how far they are apart from the other instruments. Meaning you get better sense of locating / differentiating the musical elements. This is one of the BIGGEST difference I noticed immediately, with many songs. Some songs were moderate, some were huge.

Detail - Yes, there is a large increase in detail. You can hear more elements of sound from the instruments. So not only unexpected instrument pop but also better sense of location and more detail. This was largely noticeable in the low to mid range with the Sydney cable.

Smoother, deeper bass - Yes, the bass was deeper and more solid. There is more transparency to the overall sound. With the generic cable it was a bit foggy. Before I got the upgrade I never felt the generic cable provided crappy sound. It actually sounded "good".... But that changed once I got the Sydney cable. Unexpected pop in the low to mid's and that Cello instrument pop on one of the tracks SCARED DA CRAP OUTTA me.... I was sitting on a chair and almost fell backwards.....
Something totally unexpected. It was like listening to a completely different song when in fact I was playing the exact same track, with same volume and same equalizer setting.

Taste of Treble - Yes it added sweet taste to the treble. Treble sounded sweet. It was a good sounding treble. Would you eat an apple that is ripe or unripe? Ripe say yes huh.

With the $1200 Angel cable it takes you to the next level in music. After fully burning the cable in (500+ hours), here is my impression with the A2 speakers:

Smoother Transition - The music had "rock-solid" smooth transition to it. The edginess / harshness virtually removed, or decreased substantially, depending on the quality of the recording / encoding. It sounded natural and very pleasant to hear. It also helped reducing hearing fatigue. Smooth transition of the music was one of the big things I noticed. Uh yeah, distortion is removed / reduced too in the highs, where it was present with the generic cable.

Supreme Detail - This cable provided even more detail, especially from the mid to high region of the sound spectrum. Micro fine details also pop out very nicely. There is a better sense of articulation on the fine detail and all the rest of musical elements. Very distinctive. In some of the tracks it gave reflection to the music. It sounded like the musical performance was done in the studio, with marvel walls and ceiling surrounded, where the generic cable and Sydney cable sounded like music was played in a studio with "thin carpeted" walls. Angel cable provides tremendous amount of detail. The detail pop in the lows aren't as strong as the $200 Sydney cable though, something I was surprised of.

Different Sonic Signature - Like the keyword said, different sonic signature than the Sydney cable. Angel cable sound a bit cooler and more airy. Sydney was a bit warmer, with less air, and less reflective. To be honest, I like BOTH sonic signatures... but the Angel cable has more headroom for high details and ability to handle it effortlessly (decreased edginess), or smoother transition. Sydney runs out of steam if you demand a lot of music with highs and micro detail in the highs.

Musical Instrument Location - Surprisingly it was hardly better than the Sydney cable in this regard. Just goes to show how UNDERPRICED the $200 Sydney cable is... I told you this before, that this is underpriced and like a free give away... Something is wrong with the Audioquest vendor.. This is just wrong, guys, just wrong. Does it mean Silver cable (Angel) sucks? Oh hell no..... It's just that the Sydney cable is "retarded good". Pretty close to topping out in this regard, for my A2 speakers that is. It's sort of like a Nissan GTR beating, or keeping up with a Ferrari Enzo at the quarter mile drag strip racing. But when you head over to German or Swedish closed course for a straight 1.5 mile run or do 50 mph to 200 mph pull that's where the GTR gets ass handed..... The generic cable, hmmmm..... would be something like.... a Mustang GT V8. It will be slower both at the quarter mile and 1.5 mile track.

Nissan R35 GTR = Sydney cable

Ferrari Enzo = Angel cable

Mustang GT = Generic cable

This is almost spot on..... Good analogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weird 23  /t/1423206/svs-sb12-nsd-sub-rearran...nd-200-copper-cable-inside-pics#post_22288560

You can't be serious. $1200 cables for $200 speakers? Buying descent cables is one thing but you've got it backwards, you should at least be running $1200 speakers with $200. That would at least make a little sense.

There is still the difference in sound quality with the A2 speakers, as mentioned above. This is for "nearfield" listening though. If I sit far away I can't hear all of the details and can't enjoy as much as the speaker output is weak. I am debating whether to add another pair of A2 speakers to run as 5.1 channel setup or just save up some money and get me a nice pair of AVI ADM9T speakers. Those are very good speakers and have full sound and good mid range push, like the A2 speakers, only bigger and more output.

And if you don't pair $200 speakers with the $1200 Angel cable, it wouldn't be as entertaining. You gotta keep in mind that entertainment is part of the game. It makes my thread stand out more and draw more attention. Look, I am IamAnoobieCheez. This is my reputation. Check out my post history...... I wax plasma TV screens and cables for God sake.

But yes, no doubt, $1200 speaker with $200 makes sense and reasonable as you said. I don't have a problem with that statement at all..... but who says you have to stop at $200?
$2400 ADM9T loudspeakers with $1200 cable will go together very nicely. That brings the ratio down to 2:1. Is that betta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk  /t/1423206/svs-sb12-nsd-sub-rearran...nd-200-copper-cable-inside-pics#post_22288953

Just think how much better those $200 speakers would sound with $5000 cables....

Are you talking material / construction-wise or length wise? $1200 for only 1.5 meter long cable is pretty much the top-of-the-line. You can't go higher... But if you want to go "longer", the Angel cable with longer extensions will cost up to $9000. Is that expensive enough for you?... You don't want to go too long as audio interconnects have large impact on sound due to time-sensitive information. Shorter the better, too.

#15 ·
And I really can't comment on the sound with my SVS SB12-NSD sub with Sydney cable because I have never tried generic cable with it. So insufficient data for comparison.

Hey guys I'm broke now really bad. Can you loan me some money to buy another pair of A2 speakerz? I want it setup as 5.1 channel. Oh this mean I will need a long interconnect cable too. This you are looking at.... $500 at least. So 500+200 that's $700. Loan me some money.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez  /t/1423206/svs-sb12-nsd-sub-rearran...nd-200-copper-cable-inside-pics#post_22293127

And if you don't pair $200 speakers with the $1200 Angel cable, it wouldn't be as entertaining. You gotta keep in mind that entertainment is part of the game. It makes my thread stand out more and draw more attention. Look, I am IamAnoobieCheez. This is my reputation. Check out my post history...... I wax plasma TV screens and cables for God sake.

Did you eat a lot of paint chips when you were a kid?

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153  /t/1423206/svs-sb12-nsd-sub-rearran...nd-200-copper-cable-inside-pics#post_22293261

Did you eat a lot of paint chips when you were a kid?
No, but I did eat a lot of chocolate......

That's about it other than eating nutritious food..... I loved riding bicycles too to keep myself healthy.

Oh i forgot to mention that I wax my iPod Touch and laptop screens too.

Lolz..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.