Sub Placement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-06-2012, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey folks,

Just upgraded the last piece of my HT setup by picking myself up an SVS PC-12NSD (Love it!). However, I'm having some trouble getting the 'sweet spot' anywhere near my listening position. Due to the shape and design of my living room, I really only have 2 decent positions to place my sub.

Check out the extremely rough MS Paint drawing I made to see what I mean.

The "Dining and Kitchen" area is the exact same size as the living room, with that 'bottom' wall sort of dividing part of it. That is completely open with no possibility of closing it. The only other opening is on the 'bottom-right' where the opening for the hallway resides. Our couch (Main Listening Area in the drawing) is as far back as it can go toward the 'right' wall without hindering our ability to use both doors (not shown). The big red square is where the bass REALLY hits hard...except it's not at listening level, its at my ear height (I'm exactly 6' tall). So if I stand there in the sweet spot, the bass is unreal, but the exact same note/hit/sound/whatever on my couch is MAYBE half of that, and it's really a let down.

I've considered moving the sub to the 'upper right' corner where you can see the dotted circle, but I'm not really convinced that will make a difference. I'm thinking the gigantic opening between the living room and dining / kitchen area is letting all the 'waves' or whatever out. Are there any secrets that anyone could share with me to possibly improve my situation? Thanks for reading!

Shaun

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-06-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 105
What receiver do you have does it have Audyssey or other room correction that eqs the sub??? If so run it for each spot you try.

Try moving it to where the dotted circle is see how it sounds. Also try placing it in the lil corner between where your 2 couches are. If none of those things work then yes your huge open area is killing the bass. You don't have enough power or air movement to pressurize the area. If that is the case if you have the budget or can save some more cash purchase a 2nd PC12 NSD keep one placed in the front corner and place the 2nd one in either of the 2 positions I mentioned. Dual subs are amazing and once you try it you'll never go back to a single. Also you can buy or make an isolation/ riser platform. Sometimes just by raising the sub 2 to 3 inches off the ground helps the bass a lot. Its also possible that the main couch (the one facing the tv) is in a bass null. Try sitting in the other couch and I bet the bass is exaggerated cuz its up against a wall. That is currently the case in my living room, so I got dual subs.

Shawn
post #3 of 3 Old 08-06-2012, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sorry to say, but the best thing to do is set that sub in you no.1 seating position and crawl around the room to see where you like the sound the best. This, IMHO is the ONLY way to get what you truly want. It's all a compromise. If you truly only can place the sub in either place, set it in either one and see which sounds the best for a week or so.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page