Do inexpensive subs not last long? Any that are reliable? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-07-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just discovered that the two subs in my house have gone kaput. One is a Velodyn VX-10B and the other a Polk PSW10. Both are very inexpensive, but I was satisfied and they were good enough for me for the 4-5 years I've had them. Now, I don't know exactly when they blew, or how. That shows how little I've use them lately, especially now that I have a 5 month old girl.

BTW, I replaced the fuses in the Velodyn but it still won't work, and the fuses did not blow again. The Polk's power LED is on so I assume its fuses are OK.

Anyway, this is not about how to fix them, but rather, which inexpensive subs are RELIABLE? Or is that a stupid question? smile.gif

P.S. For those thinking since I did not notice when they blew, maybe I do not need subs, I definitely did notice the difference when I added them. Plus, I think they blew relatively recently when there were thunderstorms (though the only other thing damaged in the house was the A/C power adapter for my cable modem) but hadn't listened enough since to notice till now.

Thank you for any assistance!
JTM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-07-2012, 12:12 PM

Liked: 11
Lightning strikes are hardly a test of reliability! Lightning can take out ANY gear, regardless of cost, quality, etc. Are you using surge protection? If not ... it is a good idea to start.

Good luck,

Bill C
post #3 of 11 Old 08-07-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Neither Velodyne or Polk are considered cheap subs and nothing prevents a direct hit from taking out gear but good surge protection will eliminate a static charge and with that being said if its of any value protect it.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-07-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Surge protector for sure, not only the outlets but cable line and phone/internet lines as well.

What is inexpensive? $50.00? $200.00? $500.00?

When I think of inexpensive subs I think HSU STF-2 or Polk PSW 505.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-07-2012, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Upon further thought, maybe the subs were not damaged by lightning. All the power lines in my neighborhood are underground. As far as I know, my house has never received a direct strike.

I now wonder if they failed because they are not on the switched outlets that most receivers have. Mine has no such outlets. Thus the subs power on and off based on the signal level from the receiver. Maybe all the power cycling did a number on the circuits?

I'd like to spend no more than $300, but if I can find a sub that's considered well-built for less, that'd be great.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-07-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Energy s10.3 or Jamo sub650

HT: PJ: ?? , Screen: ??,B&W 684s, 685s, HTM62 / DIY SI 18" / port tuned- 17hz
Onkyo 809, iNuke DSP1000, Oppo 103 , PS4, HTPC- Lenovo q190.
| Media Room: Yamaha RX-A 820, PS3, Vizio 55 (M-Series) with in-wall Polk Audio RC series (5-channel), Sub1200 (dual) w/ DirectTV & PS3 / PLEX | Family Room: LED: Sharp 70" -Smart, DTV Client, PS3, Mirage MX 5.1 / HK Audio.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-07-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 404
My $200 (at the time) Audiosource 15" sub lasted 13 years. It finally gave out last week.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #8 of 11 Old 08-07-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by austai View Post

I'd like to spend no more than $300, but if I can find a sub that's considered well-built for less, that'd be great.

Polk PSW 505 is a nice sub for under $300. I bought one to try out one time just to help fill in some nulls I had, nice sub and performed well considering the negative things you hear about Polk subs. And At $249 a very good deal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290130
post #9 of 11 Old 08-07-2012, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:

Upon further thought, maybe the subs were not damaged by lightning. All the power lines in my neighborhood are underground. As far as I know, my house has never received a direct strike.
I now wonder if they failed because they are not on the switched outlets that most receivers have. Mine has no such outlets. Thus the subs power on and off based on the signal level from the receiver. Maybe all the power cycling did a number on the circuits?

Never hook your powered sub to an AVR's switched outlet. Not sure why your subs failed, but I have an 8 year old VX10 and it still works fine.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #10 of 11 Old 08-08-2012, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Never hook your powered sub to an AVR's switched outlet. Not sure why your subs failed, but I have an 8 year old VX10 and it still works fine.
Ian

Not to doubt you, but why is this? How did you set yours up? Thanks.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-08-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:

Not to doubt you, but why is this? How did you set yours up? Thanks.

They are not designed for that much load. Switched outlets are for non amplified components such as a turntable or CD player. I have my subs and devices connected to a high performance surge protection strip. Although some don't believe surge protectors work, it's better to be safe then sorry and I've found that most strips that have a decent joules rating also offer the best quality.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page