Audio Quest sub 1 cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 08-07-2012, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How do the Audio Quest sub 1 cables compare to the Monster M-series sub cables? The Audio Quest seem to be top of the line from what I read about there construction. I am hooking up a PB-13 ultra with the cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-07-2012, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
They are both ridiculously overpriced. The key thing that is important is a high percentage braided copper shield (95% coverage). Two is even better. Everything else that is being hyped is BS. If you want about as good a subwoofer cable as there is for any price, at a much lower price, check out Blue Jeans Cable.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-07-2012, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Monoprice.com. Good quality cables at a very reasonable price.
post #4 of 18 Old 08-07-2012, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

So the 4 conductor wires and silver in the wire provide no advantage over the M series?
post #5 of 18 Old 08-08-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Well, if both your sub and AVR support balanced connections, the three wires might be advantageous. But you could get the same advantage from a much less expensive balanced cable. If you are going to use an unbalanced connection (RCA), there is no significant advantage. Silver plated conductors are advantageous for RF frequencies because of skin effect but offer no significant advantage at subwoofer frequencies.
post #6 of 18 Old 08-08-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Check out Blue Jeans Cable. They make top quality cables that are comparable to some by AudioQuest and Monster, but at a better price.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #7 of 18 Old 08-08-2012, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 572
+1 to BJC, especially if you've got any cognitive dissonance regarding Monoprice. smile.gif
post #8 of 18 Old 08-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have measured a bunch of cables on Time Domain Reflectometer. Monoprice premium line (I haven't measured the cheaper line of monoprice cables) was very close to 75Ohms (not counting RCA connectors). The Eye pattern was one of the best. I think Blue Jeans use Belden raw cables which are of a great quality. Monster cables were dead on 75Ohms with the exception of their SPDIF cable which was 65Ohms. Very strange but anyhow...
Characteristic impedance of the cable isn't important for subwoofer connection. Twisted pair could be a better choice for sub connection due to lower capacitance. This can be important if you use passive pre-amp in your setup. As someone suggested above with the long cable runs balanced connection would be advisable.
I currently use 7.5m long (24.7') Audioquest VDM-X cables with my 2 PB-13Ultra subs as I was able to source them at a very good price. Friend of mine with 2 sub cables preffered Monster M line to SVS sub cables. Though monsters were shorter. I will leave it at that as this is not the forum to talk about the wires. Trust your ears you will be happy.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-09-2012, 05:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
^^^

no, please expand... creative writing is always fun to read...

all he needs to do is "trust your measurements" and to understand that a subwoofer signal is about as "easy" as it gets to transmit, and to understand how much distortion exists in the best of subs....

that will eliminate any need to "trust your ears"...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #10 of 18 Old 08-09-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^
all he needs to do is "trust your measurements" and to understand that a subwoofer signal is about as "easy" as it gets to transmit, and to understand how much distortion exists in the best of subs....
While such cables may indeed be impressive from the marketing spiel associated with them, it is doubtful that any differences one might hear can be reliably attributed to said cables. Let me illustrate this with a story (creative writing if you will).
Quote:
An 86-year-old man went to his doctor for his quarterly check-up. The doctor asked him how he was feeling, and the 86-year-old said "Things are great and I've never felt better. I now have a 20 year-old bride who is pregnant with my child. So what do you think about that Doc?"

The doctor considered his question for a minute and then began to tell a story. "I have an older friend, much like you, who is an avid hunter and never misses a season. One day he was setting off to go hunting. In a bit of a hurry, he accidentally picked up his walking cane instead of his gun. As he neared a lake, he came across a very large male beaver sitting at the water's edge. He realised he'd left his gun at home and so he couldn't shoot the magnificent creature. Out of habit he raised his cane, aimed it at the animal as if it were his favourite hunting rifle, and went "bang, bang". Miraculously, two shots rang out and the beaver fell over dead. Now, what do you think of that?" asked the doctor.

The 86-year-old said, "Logic would strongly suggest that somebody else pumped a couple of rounds into that beaver". The doctor replied "My point exactly."
bfreedma likes this.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #11 of 18 Old 08-09-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

+1 to BJC, especially if you've got any cognitive dissonance regarding Monoprice. smile.gif

Yep. I like the BJC cables because of the better build quality. I had one subwoofer cable from Monoprice go bad. Whether or not one gets better sound from the better materials in BJC cables over Monoprice, that I can't say.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #12 of 18 Old 08-09-2012, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

What exactly does this mean? "Blue jeans 4S11 is not UL-listed or NEC rated"

Is that rating only for underground and in wall wires?
post #13 of 18 Old 08-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^^^
20115 posts. Ouch. Is this yours? smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
post #14 of 18 Old 08-14-2012, 06:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

they add up after awhile...

yup, those are my high quality made in america subwoofer power cords and speaker wires... smile.gif constructed from the finest wire available at home depot, plus what i had lying around in my shed... i did spring for the banana plugs that cost a couple bucks more a pair than the monoprice ones... tongue.gif
its phillip likes this.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #15 of 18 Old 08-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^^^
they add up after awhile...
yup, those are my high quality made in america subwoofer power cords and speaker wires... smile.gif constructed from the finest wire available at home depot, plus what i had lying around in my shed... i did spring for the banana plugs that cost a couple bucks more a pair than the monoprice ones... tongue.gif
Good.smile.gif I hope you didn't violate the code when you installed 30amp outlets. wink.gif
post #16 of 18 Old 08-14-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

they aren't 30's, and yes, they are to code... i like my house in the "non burned down state", personally...
its phillip likes this.

- chris

post #17 of 18 Old 08-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^^^
they aren't 30's, and yes, they are to code... i like my house in the "non burned down state", personally...
What kind are they? Those locking plugs certainly do look like 30a plugs.
post #18 of 18 Old 08-14-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

nope, that would gross overkill... tongue.gif i like bass, but i don't need that much juice... they are 20a locking plugs...

they serve their intended purpose, the cat can't knock them out...

- chris

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Audioquest Class 1 Subwoofer Cable Rca Plugs 3m 9 84