How much bass is too much bass? - AVS Forum
Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > How much bass is too much bass?
rliebherr's Avatar rliebherr 07:32 PM 08-07-2012
I realize asking this question in a forum dedicated to "Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers" may garner responses such as "there's no such thing," but hear me out.

I live in a loft, floor plans are here: http://vangardlofts.com/library/v3/helpers/popup/floorplan/popup_frameset.asp?imgdata=kcHvlBqtewKnLpMnlpHSL8KvluxoL8vtL0POlpCu42Z81uZqKJU7KjdVe8MPM0Ps3JMPepCVlBZ53jHnGIWoIBMekCM7LBAeiv77iiKrkPdgKCCDhvUaiwA11CRvLCCAIVFE4CK5lbKvhbdjI5UEgWCekaWiKcAgFIU7gwFekCM7hBAkM0UHgi1V2Qn228CeI5so28x1gQK81J9UJb3s

My main viewing area is the corner in the bottom left. I have a Polk Audio TL1600 5.1 speaker set connected to an Onkyo TX-NR515. I'm considering upgrading to 7.2 by purchasing 2 more TL1 satellites and another sub from Polk. My questions are:
  • Would that be overkill for the space I'm using?
  • I can't find the same sub that came with the TL1600 set as a stand alone sub. Admittedly, I haven't looked too hard. What are the ramifications of purchasing a different sub from Polk? Is it preferred to have two of the same subs in a 7.2 set up?

Additional information, in the event that it is helpful:
  • My viewing and listening habits are TV/Movie (mostly movie), Music, and gaming, in that order - about 80/15/5
  • The plasma panel is along the short wall opposite the long wall (read: the wall that separates the bedroom from the rest of the space).
  • That same wall does not connect with the ceiling, there is an open space.
  • I have a sectional along the wall opposite the plasma, there is no space behind it (any speakers would need to be wall mounted, or the sectional would need to be pushed forward). My current surrounds are on either side of the sectional. I left some space between the windows and the sectional for that satellite.
  • The windows are covered by blackout curtains when viewing.

I've always been into home theater, but just recently purchased what I consider to be my first "real" home theater (to each his own, as it were), so I'm trying to get the most out of my system within the limited space that I have in my loft. Also, I have a tendency to do things all out, so if this is trying to do too much with a space that is too small, feel free to let me know. Thanks for any insight.

cel4145's Avatar cel4145 09:29 AM 08-08-2012
The subwoofer with the Polk Audio TL1600 is a 50w continuous/100w max 8" sub. That's a pretty big space your HT setup is in. I would forget trying to match the sub that came with the TL1600 and get a bigger, more powerful sub. And it doesn't have to be a Polk to work well with those speakers.

What's your budget for a new sub purchase?
rliebherr's Avatar rliebherr 10:23 AM 08-08-2012
My budget would be between $300 and $500.
JimWilson's Avatar JimWilson 11:54 AM 08-08-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

The subwoofer with the Polk Audio TL1600 is a 50w continuous/100w max 8" sub. That's a pretty big space your HT setup is in. I would forget trying to match the sub that came with the TL1600 and get a bigger, more powerful sub. And it doesn't have to be a Polk to work well with those speakers.

+1

That about says it all.
pukemon's Avatar pukemon 12:10 PM 08-08-2012
When you start blowing out windows and dropping hangings off the wall.

butter and jelly please.
cel4145's Avatar cel4145 12:49 PM 08-08-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rliebherr View Post

My budget would be between $300 and $500.

A single Energy S10.3 would outperform two of the Polk Audio TL1600 subs. With your budget, you could do two of them smile.gif

You might subscribe to Newegg's mailing list to find out about specials. They have been down to around $200 a couple of times a month lately.
rliebherr's Avatar rliebherr 03:43 PM 08-08-2012
Sounds great. Thanks for your help!
Poison Nuke's Avatar Poison Nuke 07:23 PM 08-08-2012
with that little budget it is definitly impossible to have "too much" bass. The only thing possible is "too few", or neighbours and a bad placement of the subs.

for the question lets say, I have 8x 18inch subs in 300sqft driven by over 10kW and even that is not "too much"... ok for me. Some of my guest didnt think so but I dont care about that biggrin.gif
Up
Mobile  Desktop