Subwoofer for a dorm - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 08-09-2012, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm trying to help my son out with finding him a decent system to take back to college, and unfortunately he is on a very limited budget. (No mom is not helping - I just paid his fall tuition - ouch!) Since I know he'll be picker with the sub, I started looking at those first. He loves mine at home, it is an old Adire Audio Rava sub...and of course he blows the walls out with it when he is home. rolleyes.gif So I know he wants something a bit "thumpy", but being the mom, I'd like to try for accuracy. smile.gif

So I've been reading the reviews and forums, and it looks like the Energy 10.3 is a decent sub for not too much $. I have 2 questions:

1) My Rava is a sealed sub, and in a large open room. His dorm will be smaller, and enclosed of course. I believe the Energy is a ported sub...what will be the differences that he will notice, if any?

2) He will be also hooking up a TV/dvd to the receiver (which I also need to start looking at). Is there anything, given a sub's specs, that would require specific needs on the receiver? Seems like I read somewhere about having to get a certian type of receiver with a sub because the sub didn't have a crossover or something? (Sorry - not too up on the sub spec stuff!)

Thanks for any advice you can offer!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-09-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 653
I would imagine that your Rava sub has a tighter sound than the Energy S10.3, but the S10.3 is definitely a good SQ performer for its price.

The S10.3 has an LFE input and speaker level inputs--2 options for hooking up to the receiver. An HT multichannel receiver will have an LFE or subwoofer output for connecting to the LFE input on the receiver, and it will have bass management capability that would allow setting a crossover for the speakers and sub. Typically, you'll have multiple choices. The bass management has both low and high pass filters, so it creates a very smooth transition. Meanwhile, you set the sub to bypass its internal crossover.

Stereo 2 channel receivers and integrated amps generally do not have bass management. So the S10.3 would be connected to the unit via the LFE or speaker level inputs, and then the crossover on the sub would be set to the low frequency roll off of the main speakers. Because of this and the fact that HT receivers also have HDMI connectors for connecting up video devices (TVs, bluray players, PS3 gaming consoles), an HT receiver might be a little better choice.

For a budget HT receiver, I recommend looking at the Denon 1612. Here's a review. Last year's model, so it's at a good price. And it has Audyssey MultiEQ which, once one has used the enclosed microphone to take readings from the listening position, will automatically set EQ filters to better balance the frequency response of the speakers and the sub for the room's acoustics. Very helpful for improving the quality of bass.

post #3 of 16 Old 08-09-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Have you checked dorm rules? Some prohibit things like subwoofers except in approved common areas. I suspect most have rules on noise that is audible outside ones own room.
post #4 of 16 Old 08-09-2012, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

Have you checked dorm rules? Some prohibit things like subwoofers except in approved common areas. I suspect most have rules on noise that is audible outside ones own room.

His roomie had a system with a sub last year, so I expect it's fine. Yeah I had the same concerns. They do have times that are strictly "quiet times", and he knows he has to respect those rules.
post #5 of 16 Old 08-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
The energy sub you're looking at is a good choice for the money and environment. It probably has just enough to get him in trouble if he goes crazy, but should be fine and get the job done if he is respectful and doesn't try to show off.

butter and jelly please.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Oh, and probably a denon or onkyo stereo receiver should suffice also. No room left for upgrades/what ifs and a 2.1 is plenty and a space saver for dorm.

butter and jelly please.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-09-2012, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I would imagine that your Rava sub has a tighter sound than the Energy S10.3, but the S10.3 is definitely a good SQ performer for its price.
The S10.3 has an LFE input and speaker level inputs--2 options for hooking up to the receiver. An HT multichannel receiver will have an LFE or subwoofer output for connecting to the LFE input on the receiver, and it will have bass management capability that would allow setting a crossover for the speakers and sub. Typically, you'll have multiple choices. The bass management has both low and high pass filters, so it creates a very smooth transition. Meanwhile, you set the sub to bypass its internal crossover.
Stereo 2 channel receivers and integrated amps generally do not have bass management. So the S10.3 would be connected to the unit via the LFE or speaker level inputs, and then the crossover on the sub would be set to the low frequency roll off of the main speakers. Because of this and the fact that HT receivers also have HDMI connectors for connecting up video devices (TVs, bluray players, PS3 gaming consoles), an HT receiver might be a little better choice.

Yikes. "LFE"? Drat. I knew I was behind. I guess my old Rava doesn't have that kind of connection? I don't remember hooking up to anything with that name. Mine is plugged in to my Onkyo NR709 via the subwoofer plugs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

For a budget HT receiver, I recommend looking at the Denon 1612. Here's a review. Last year's model, so it's at a good price. And it has Audyssey MultiEQ which, once one has used the enclosed microphone to take readings from the listening position, will automatically set EQ filters to better balance the frequency response of the speakers and the sub for the room's acoustics. Very helpful for improving the quality of bass.

That looks like a decent reciever. I was also looking at this one...clearly I have a fondness for Onkyo rolleyes.gif...but both are certainly good.
http://www.hhgregg.com/onkyo-400-watt-3d-5-1-home-theater-receiver/item/TXNR509

Yes I was figuring to go with a HT unit.
post #8 of 16 Old 08-09-2012, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukemon View Post

Oh, and probably a denon or onkyo stereo receiver should suffice also. No room left for upgrades/what ifs and a 2.1 is plenty and a space saver for dorm.
butter and jelly please.

Thankfully he does have a larger dorm this year...they got upgraded. tongue.gif
post #9 of 16 Old 08-09-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post

Yikes. "LFE"? Drat. I knew I was behind. I guess my old Rava doesn't have that kind of connection? I don't remember hooking up to anything with that name. Mine is plugged in to my Onkyo NR709 via the subwoofer plugs?
That looks like a decent reciever. I was also looking at this one...clearly I have a fondness for Onkyo rolleyes.gif...but both are certainly good.
http://www.hhgregg.com/onkyo-400-watt-3d-5-1-home-theater-receiver/item/TXNR509
Yes I was figuring to go with a HT unit.

The LFE connection is just the modern name for the single subwoofer output/input that carries the "low frequency extension" signal. Sometimes it's just called subwoofer input or output on a receiver or subwoofer. Still just an RCA connection carrying the bass signal for the subwoofer.

That Onkyo unit has some good networking and iPod/iPhone capability features. And while it doesn't have Audyssey MultiEQ (only the 2EQ version), it does have Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume. They might keep him from turning it up so loud. LOL

post #10 of 16 Old 08-09-2012, 08:09 PM

Liked: 10
He has an iPhone, and he hooks it up to my 709 all the time, so yeah, that's a good point. Hadn't thought about that. wink.gif
post #11 of 16 Old 08-10-2012, 07:25 AM

Well looks like the Onkyo is no longer available. Shoot. Had talked myself into that one. mad.gif
post #12 of 16 Old 08-10-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

How about a factory refurbished, factory warrantied Onkyo TX-NR515?

post #13 of 16 Old 08-11-2012, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
As Cel4145 as suggested, how do you feel about a factory referb set up?? Heres a link so you can take a look at all the items listed (HTIB) as you can save quite a bit of $.
Link; www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/HTIB/Home-Audio/Packaged-Systems/1.html
post #14 of 16 Old 08-12-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skally View Post

As Cel4145 as suggested, how do you feel about a factory referb set up?? Heres a link so you can take a look at all the items listed (HTIB) as you can save quite a bit of $.
Link; www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/HTIB/Home-Audio/Packaged-Systems/1.html

You know, if it wasn't for the fact that my son leaves in just 2 weeks, then I would probably take a chance. I don't want risk getting a bum unit, and then him wind up not having a working unit to take with him.
post #15 of 16 Old 08-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Well you could look at a std HTIB set up such as this : www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3500-5-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0077V88V8/ref=sr_1_2?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1344786934&sr=1-2. Not to bad esp. for $280 & free shipping. It would work out quite well for a dorm no problem.
post #16 of 16 Old 08-12-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skally View Post

Well you could look at a std HTIB set up such as this : www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3500-5-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0077V88V8/ref=sr_1_2?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1344786934&sr=1-2. Not to bad esp. for $280 & free shipping. It would work out quite well for a dorm no problem.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the NR313. It's just the basics...but at 195.00 for free 3-day shipping, it'll do. smile.gif I'm sure it will be just fine for college.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Playstation 3 160gb System , Denon Avr 1612 Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr709 , Iphone
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page