Basic Hookup for 5.1 system question. How to listen to both two channel and lfe - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-11-2012, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ive used subs in my two channel set up for decades but now im moving into a 5.1 array for the firs time. I need to ask a stupid noob questions. For reference ill be running a bryston 5 channel amp, with a pre pro yet to be determined and using ohm mwts for fronts. How does one accomplish getting a sub to play with both basic music two channel and .1 lfe.

conceptually i understand the REL and MJ acoustics concept where you have dual hook ups for speaker and rca lfe channels. but what does one do for other brands?

Since id be using a pre pro i think one would want to avoid the x over in the sub...or am i missing something something. Sorry for the elementary nature of this question and feel free to move it. basically, i am attracted to the some of the id brands like svs or rythmic as a value proposition but am unsure how to integrate them....

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-11-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 141

All the bass management facilities you need are included in the prepro.  Also, you are correct that the sub's crossover should be bypassed by using its dedicated LFE input or putting its setting as high as possible, so that the bass management in the prepro can do its job.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #3 of 5 Old 08-11-2012, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Kal thanks for the reply. maybe my post was not as articulate as it should have been. If you hook up with just the lfe-how would you be able to listen to two channel with the sub? Would that mean you have to use the processor modes when listening to music only and no direct or pure settings...
post #4 of 5 Old 08-11-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Once you get your hands on a pre-pro, all will become clear smile.gif It will set your x-over with whatever method it uses, you can then alter it if you want. Your subs are now essentially permanently joined with your system. Unless you push a button so they're not smile.gif

Picture listening to stereo music - just like having a two channel system with sub. Then throw on a BD movie - now the LFE gets added in to the mix. The way you choose to listen to any of it is a button push away on the remote, or at worst, a journey through the menu. One of those buttons will give you "direct" or some such, which will cut off the sub and all processing. Back to "stereo" or whatever, and you've got processed again (2.1) - it's all up to you.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-12-2012, 07:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 141

fjames is correct: It will be clear to you when you set up your prepro.  You might consider downloading a user's manual and scanning the relevant parts.

The only possible complication might be if you are using an analog source like a turntable.  In that case, you might look for a prepro that will do bass management in the analog domain as well as the digital domain.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page