post #31 of 39 Old 08-12-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfniner View Post

Were to get he best price on svs PB 13 ?

http://www.svsound.com/outlet-specials/view-all-outlet?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=189&category_id=5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 08-12-2012, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is the svs pb13 great at ht
post #33 of 39 Old 08-12-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

Yes, but I would get something else at its current price point.

I would rather have a Captivator, or captivator S, or captivator S2, or a Seaton Submersive HP.

Jeff Permanian is a one man show for JTR AFAIK so I would leave a message and try back more, it is Sunday.

The Seaton Submersive is a proven product and a local to me went from 4 pb13ultras to 4 submersives and found improvement across the board.

http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/post/Product-Listing-Availability-Status-and-Pricing-3366417

What is your room size and what is it setup like? Is it sealed or open to other rooms and do you have any treatments? Do you want two subs or one and if one will you be adding another later? Do you have room measuring equipment? What other audio equipment will this be used as a system with? Thats a large budget for a subwoofer for football.wink.gif

You need to decide what your goals are and what you need to accomplish for your room and needs/wants.
post #34 of 39 Old 08-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

With your budget you might want to consider 3 hsu uls 15s. For ht, usually you want a sub that can go low. The uls's are sealed but with two or three that can help with output and extension. And make some of envious and beg you to tell how us many windows you broke.

butter and jelly please.
post #35 of 39 Old 08-12-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:

Thanks for all your help I am going to buy svs pb13 to start and get one more later. I don't like tha jtr captivator web site and nobody answer the phone other wise I buy it.

It's your money, and the Ultra is a nice sub but I've heard dual Ultras and a single Captivator in the same room and the Captivator was far more impressive than the dual Ultras. Especially on music, if you like music IMO the Ultra won't give you near as much punch and feel like the Caps will.

I own Submersives and I prefer them to the Captivators on music, by a smaller margin than how much more I liked the Cap compared to the SVS Ultras.

If I had your budget I would buy a JTR Captivator Sealed 2 - same type of sound quality as the Submersive with twice the output, or a JTR Orbit Shifter which has twice the output above 20hz as the Captivator Sealed 2, but much less output below 20 hz.

Or you could raise your budget a bit and get what I have, dual Submersives.

Here is the Cap 2 sealed, scroll through the thread to see pics it looks awesome.

http://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=5688940

Here is the orbit shifter

http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/orbit-shifter-lf/

Here is the Submersive:

http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/post/Product-Listing-Availability-Status-and-Pricing-3366417

Both JTR products are 2999 and the submersive is 2295, so all withing your budget.

I think you are making a mistake going with the Ultra, I don't want to offend Ultra owners but I just think the other options are that much better.
post #36 of 39 Old 08-12-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:

If HT is your priority and not so much music, then Archaea's idea of dual ported passive Captivators would be the way to go. I use to have this setup my self and for movies it was ridiculous. My current setup doesn't have quite the output for movies but I still prefer it since I'm a music first guy and like the Submersives better for music. They are awesome for movies too of course.
post #37 of 39 Old 08-12-2012, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

I don't whant to reproduce a car sound system I whant it to sound like IMAX theater room is 17 \16/ 8 with an opening to kitchen. I want to start with one sub for now.

I'm sorry, but since when did the OS ever relate to car audio?

Answer: Never.
post #38 of 39 Old 08-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Wow, with a budget like that, this thread has created some excitement.

Some other things to consider that I have not seen mentioned:

I have heard the afar home for music and it simply sounds amazing. It also looks amazing like a piece of art almost.

The Ultra is also a beautiful sub, though I have not heard it. At its pricepoint as has been mentioned though there are far better choices.

I have dual Captivator 1000's and think that Jeff (Owner of JTR) is a stand up guy that designs and builds some truly amazing performing speakers at a great value.

They definitely do not have the finish that a fathom does, but they are every bit as good on music and truly outperform it by a great margin for HT. The caps look plenty good for me, but thought it was worth mentioning that their appearance is definitely more along the industrial look.

From a fellow 49er fan for over 30 years I would buy a submersive HP or dual S1's or an S2 from JTR and don't look back or worry about the value that you will receive.
post #39 of 39 Old 08-12-2012, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:

Have you checked out some good subs set up well in any of your friends' places? What's the rest of your audio setup? All of these are great subs being mentioned, like figuring out if Porsche is better than Ferrari or Lamborghini, etc. They're all a hell of a ride smile.gif With your budget you can jump right into a place many took many steps of convincing to get to (and some of their stories are right here in the forum to help out).

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page