new dynamic sub needed.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-12-2012, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm finishing a remodel of my basement. My new theater room will 1200 cubic ft. I own rsl cg4's, and am now looking for a sub or two....the most important thing to me is going to be the dynamics of the sub..low is awesome, but I cant handle a sub that can only perform from 50 down to 23 hz....bloating, hard roll off, and slow mechanics are what I am trying to avoid

I have been a bass head in the past with my last sub being an epik tower I routinely ran very loud. It dug low and was powerful, but this time around, as mentioned above, I am looking for full dynamic range from a crossover of about 100hz down.

associated gear marantz 6005, budget: $1000-$1200.

Your reccomendations are greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 106
On your price range I would recommend:
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/cylinder/pc12-plus

It is a cylinder, but if you can make it work, it is a good deal

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15h.html

Lots of output and extension and very flexible

Might be a little over your budget with shippng, but should be considered:

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV15.html

There is also the Epik Empire...
Old 08-13-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the recommendation. I will take a look. My brother owns an empire and its a little more dynamic than my tower was.... Power sound audio has had a bit of buzz, however they havent started shipping their subs yet, so reviews are not yet available.

Boston acoustics released a sub a few years ago that seemed interesting... Has anyone heard the vps210 vs?? Saw it on retrevo. It used to 1,699.00 but can be found for 699.00... does anyone know about this one???
Old 08-13-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Instead of the vps210, look at 12" and 15" subs from HSU, SVS, Outlaw Audio, Epik or Rythmik that are known performers.

Given that your room is only 1200 cubic ft, I would recommend considering dual 12" subs from one of those companies. Check out the HSU VTF-2 MK4 and Outlaw LFM-1 Plus. Dual subs can give you more even frequency response in your room. Alternatively, you might like a 12" sub paired with the HSU MBM-12 to handle the midbass.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Old 08-13-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks cel4145. All the brands you've mentioned have been on my mind. Do you own any of the subs you listed? I am leaning more towards dual 12"s to even out the response.

Like I said in my first post, I have rsl cg4s which are great, but need a sub to be good with a crossover point at 100-100hz....so needless to say, whatever I get needs to provide at least a moderate output from 50-100hz.

Thanks again for the pointers.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Yep. I have an Outlaw EX. smile.gif

Dual Outlaw LFM-1 Pluses would be close to your budget and would certainly give you plenty of output from 50-100hz, as well as giving you better output from 20-30hz. Two Pluses would be way more than enough in your size room. Here's a review of the EX, the Plus's big brother: http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/lfm-1-ex-review

The EX and Plus have the same amp and drivers; the only physical difference is the enclosure size. The EX has a little more max SPL output, digs a little deeper by a couple of hz, but best guess is that the Plus probably has a little flatter response.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Old 08-13-2012, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelemeca View Post

Power sound audio has had a bit of buzz, however they havent started shipping their subs yet, so reviews are not yet available.

What's your time frame? I'm supposed to be getting my review unit in a week or so. If you're not looking to make a purchase right away I should be able to give you some information within the next few weeks.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Old 08-13-2012, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Jim, thanks for reaching out. my time frame is 3-6 weeks away. I would be very interested in your review...please post a link when you get through your review or if you dont mind, send me a PM. I have been intrigued with PSA since reading through their site a few weeks ago.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 971
For a small room like that this dual pack of SVS SB13's could be a good prospect for $1150. (shipping free)
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/dual-sb12-nsd

for a bit less money and a bit less flat FR these dual legends for $900 + ~$100 shipping might also be nice.
http://epiksubwoofers.com/legend.html

That small room will be served quite well by a pair of high quality 12" subs.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Old 08-14-2012, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

For a small room like that this dual pack of SVS SB13's could be a good prospect for $1150. (shipping free)
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/dual-sb12-nsd
for a bit less money and a bit less flat FR these dual legends for $900 + ~$100 shipping might also be nice.
http://epiksubwoofers.com/legend.html
That small room will be served quite well by a pair of high quality 12" subs.
[

Archaea.

Thank you for posting your links to the shootout...it was a good read....Sounds like everyone wanted to see just how hard a sub could be run without total compression. I like the recommendations. With as many subs as I have had in the past, I am sold on dual subs, for many reasons already in the many threads listed here at avs. Dual Legends shipped for 1k isnt a bad deal and at 1400c/ft, they should easily pressurize the room with spl. I know Chad at Epik and he is a great guy as well. Thanks for the recommendations!wink.gif