HSU VTF-3 MK4 or Power Sound Audio XV-15? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-13-2012, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, everyone, this is my first post on the forum so thank you in advance for your advice, insight, and suggestions.

I'm looking to add a subwoofer to my current Paradigm Studio 60, cc-590, Monitor s7 Surround 3 set up. Music:home theater use is probably about 50/50 and I have a moderately sized room at approximately 22' x 13' x 8.5' (which opens up into my dining room). I previously had the Monitor s7 Sub 12 and was underwhelmed. Due to room layout and budget restrictions, I'll probably be sticking to one subwoofer for the time being and am looking for the best bass performance/value I can get in the $800 price range.

I know the PSA XV-15 hasn't been reviewed yet but based on what I've read about the pedigree of the cats who've started the company, I'm assuming that I should be able to expect above-average build and solid performance.

What would the primary sound difference be between the 12" and 15" driver? Just overall output? Also, I saw someone questioning, in another thread, how PSA could get away with just single 4" port for the 15" driver.

I'd love to hear some thoughts on the differences between these two before I bite the bullet, fully realizing it would solely be based on technical specs and not first-hand listening experience.

Thanks again.

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/power-x/products/xv15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
How about 2 hsu 2.4 or 3.4s?

butter and jelly please.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-13-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
certainly you would have to take a leap of faith on the xv15 since nobody's gotten their hand on one yet, but yeah on paper, the PSA models look like they will deliver big punch for the money.

and you can't beat the pedigree of the owners who have done right in their past venture. It's so nice to start off with a clean slate, you can avoid some of the mistakes one made in the past (like certain girlfriends lol)

You said so yourself that you didn't find the Sub12 very impressive, so it seems to me you should be looking for more output. So output counts in your case.

The Hsu is a proven performer and you really can't do wrong, but my money is on the new guy in town.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #4 of 14 Old 08-13-2012, 06:34 PM

I got VTF2-MK2 older model but similar to VTF3-MK4, my VTF2 has the older Bash’s amp but still same RMS power. My room is 3800cu ft; little bit larger than your and 1 side open to the dining room, a single VTF3-MK4 won’t make it for sure. VX15 is a step up IMO.
Dual vtf3 shipped = 1600
Dual xv15 shipped 1578.1
If you buy 2, you will get another extra 5% + 5% pre-order. With these prices, it’s too good to pass up. After researched this forum for the past 2 weeks, I had been thinking get either dual VX15 or dual VX30.
I will make my decision by this Thurs
post #5 of 14 Old 08-16-2012, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, all, for the responses. Again, a pair is unfortunately out of the question for now. mad.gif

I have another query, though. The XV-15 has 500 watts RMS with a peak of 1000 and the VTF-3 MK4 has 350 watts RMS and 1400 peak. How important are these specs. in terms of output and sound quality? Is more wattage more desireable in peak vs. dynamic or is it all contingent on the build/quality of the speaker?

Also, the Power Sound Audio sub claims to dig in to the 16-18 Hz territory with "room gain"? Between the two, which will have the better extension?

Sorry for the barrage!

P.S. av addiction what did you decide on?
post #6 of 14 Old 08-16-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Deadly Venoms View Post

Thanks, all, for the responses. Again, a pair is unfortunately out of the question for now. mad.gif
I have another query, though. The XV-15 has 500 watts RMS with a peak of 1000 and the VTF-3 MK4 has 350 watts RMS and 1400 peak. How important are these specs. in terms of output and sound quality? Is more wattage more desireable in peak vs. dynamic or is it all contingent on the build/quality of the speaker?
Also, the Power Sound Audio sub claims to dig in to the 16-18 Hz territory with "room gain"? Between the two, which will have the better extension?
Sorry for the barrage!
XV15 is bigger sub with more power, hits much harder and digs much better, this sub is compatible with VTF-15H and cost less than VTF15H.
However Sound quality, output, extention and room size are very subjective, and also have a lot to do with room acoustics and placement, which is a determining factor as to whether best sub.
Quote:

Dual XV30 biggrin.gif
post #7 of 14 Old 08-16-2012, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 473
peak wattage can mean a lot of things so it really means nothing. What you should pay attention to is measurements, preferably third party measurements. There aren't any right now for the Power Sound subs, but they do look like good subs. "Room gain" is what your room may do to acoustically boost the low frequencies, but it isn't the natural frequency response of the sub, and also room gain is different for every room. The VTF3 has a real measured response of 16 hz without room gain, I do think it would have an advantage in extension, however I think the XV15 would get louder above the deep frequencies. Basically I think this is a choice between output vs extension. They each have different features as well.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-16-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

peak wattage can mean a lot of things so it really means nothing. What you should pay attention to is measurements, preferably third party measurements. There aren't any right now for the Power Sound subs, but they do look like good subs. "Room gain" is what your room may do to acoustically boost the low frequencies, but it isn't the natural frequency response of the sub, and also room gain is different for every room. The VTF3 has a real measured response of 16 hz without room gain, I do think it would have an advantage in extension, however I think the XV15 would get louder above the deep frequencies. Basically I think this is a choice between output vs extension. They each have different features as well.
+1
post #9 of 14 Old 08-16-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:

I have a moderately sized room at approximately 22' x 13' x 8.5' (which opens up into my dining room)

Your room is 2431cu-ft and don't forget dining room, one 12" sub is not enough

My room is 3800 + dining room, one vtf3-2 plus dual Klipsch RW-12D wasn’t enough for my taste, so I just upgrade to dual xv30

Check out this thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/989316/want-advice-on-what-sub-to-purchase-please-read-this-before-posting for some good information
post #10 of 14 Old 08-17-2012, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by av addiction View Post

Your room is 2431cu-ft and don't forget dining room, one 12" sub is not enough
My room is 3800 + dining room, one vtf3-2 plus dual Klipsch RW-12D wasn’t enough for my taste, so I just upgrade to dual xv30
Check out this thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/989316/want-advice-on-what-sub-to-purchase-please-read-this-before-posting for some good information

Congrats! Not sure where you live, but if at all possible bring those 30s to our GTG!
post #11 of 14 Old 08-17-2012, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone, and congrats av addiction on your new twins. I made the plunge yesterday and purchased the PSA XV-15 but, based on some of the feedback here, am having a twinge of buyer's remorse. Sounds like the Hsu might perform much better in the lower frequencies and that room gain might be a marketing gimmick to make it appear subs dig deeper than FR would have you believe.

Are there any graphs floating around depicting FR/SPL for the HSU VTF-3 MK4?

Cheers
post #12 of 14 Old 08-17-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Here are some FR charts of some older VTF3:
Audioholics
Ilkka's one port open
Ilkka's both ports open
post #13 of 14 Old 08-17-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:

Thanks, everyone, and congrats av addiction on your new twins.
Thank you

Quote:

I made the plunge yesterday and purchased the PSA XV-15 but, based on some of the feedback here, am having a twinge of buyer's remorse. Sounds like the Hsu might perform much better in the lower frequencies and that room gain might be a marketing gimmick to make it appear subs dig deeper than FR would have you believe.
Cheers

I'm not a numbers person, I don't know jack about measurements.

But I know these FR charts that tell you how good of the sub in a test environment only. In your room, they won’t be the same.

Sound quality, output, extension and room size are very subjective, and also have a lot to do with room acoustics and placement. Bad placement and room acoustics will make sub sound terrible. If you look around the forum, countless of people have these problems.

In your room the sub may not go deep as you see in the graph or as loud as you see in measurement. It doesn’t mean that it’s a marketing gimmick.

I know both Tom Vodhanel and Jim Farina. Tom V is a co-founder of SVS and Jim is an engineer who took over as head of R&D in late 2007. They won't let deploy a product that doesn’t meet their standards.

I trust them same as I trusted HSU.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-01-2012, 07:01 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Thanks, everyone, and congrats av addiction on your new twins. I made the plunge yesterday and purchased the PSA XV-15 but, based on some of the feedback here, am having a twinge of buyer's remorse. Sounds like the Hsu might perform much better in the lower frequencies and that room gain might be a marketing gimmick to make it appear subs dig deeper than FR would have you believe.
Cheers
I'm looking at purchasing the same two subs. So now that you have had your subs for a while.... What do you think? Are you replacing a current sub?

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Vtf2 Mk4

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page