Need help tuning my HT subwoofer. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 08-14-2012, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My theater is in the basement & measures 14' wide x 26 deep & 8 feet high. All the walls have sound dampening materials inside the walls & on the theater walls inside. All 4 corners have ceiling to floor bass traps. Nothing rattles.

The sub is a Definitive Tech SuperCube Reference which is located in the front center of the room - aimed at the prime listening area as I can't place it in a corner. This sub features a 14" woofer with two 14" radiators in a sealed 17" cube that weighs a whopping 97 lbs. I've read plenty of blogs on sub setup but haven't been satisfied with the results. I thought I'd step through my setup & maybe pickup where I'm going wrong.

The surround receiver is a Marantz SR8002. I've never cared for the Audyssey feature so I've fallen back to using a Radio Shack audio meter. After setting the Marantz to subwoofer ON & speakers to SMALL, I adjust the sound level to a typical movie listening level (I don't play many CDs in here) , then balance all 7 speakers to 75db at the prime listening location. I then adjust the sub to about 81db as I like a bit more bass. Any lower & it sounds flat; any higher in db & it seems to boom.

So whats wrong, you might ask? It's hard to explain but I'd call it a lack of punch. Maybe that's just the way the sub is designed for audio accuracy. Maybe the room is too small.

I guess I'd start with my setup & got from there. Any ideas?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page