eD Amp. alternative? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-15-2012, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
People of AVS forum, I need your expertise!

As a recent victim of the eD fiasco, I now have an A7s-650 subwoofer with a cutout for an LT1300 amp. I am not using that amp as I don't expect to receive it and I have got my money back through Visa. Anyways, here is my situation:

The LT1300 seems somewhat unique in that it can take in stereo RCA connections, do the crossover internally, and output stereo RCA to be used for smaller speakers. The problem is the alternatives I have looked at (Behringer Europower 2500/4000, Dayton Audio SPA1010) do not allow me to do this.

My setup is the following:
Computer -> Optical output to Schiit Bifrost DAC -> Stereo RCA output from DAC -> Stereo RCA input to my KRK RP10s subwoofer -> Stereo RCA output to my KRK RP5 studio monitors.

So with the LT1300, it could easily just fit in to where my KRK 10s is now, because it has a built in crossover; but this is not an option with the other amp options I have looked at. The problem is that my DAC ONLY outputs RCA, and I need an amp that takes stereo rca in and does the crossover and gives me stereo rca out.

Note that my studio monitors can take RCA, TRS, or XLR input.

Your ideas would be appreciated!

Back of Schiit DAC

Back of my Current Sub

Back of studio Monitors

Back of LT1300 that I need to replace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-20-2012, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Any ideas? I may be getting a used LT/1300 but there's no guarantee
post #3 of 6 Old 08-22-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Looking around, it seems my best option would be to use the EP4000 as the sub amp (well reviewed, and it would be underloaded with my sub), and put an external crossover in the loop with low pass to sub and high pass to my monitors. Something like the Paradigm X-30 is EXACTLY what I need but it's discontinued..

It looks like the Behringer CX2310 would do what I want.

Edit: It looks like this will bascially solve my problem. I can use the CX2310 to do the crossover, and everything will be fine

Optical -> DAC -> RCA out -> (adapter) -> XLR input to CX2310 to do crossover -> XLR stereo to my studio monitors and XLR mono subwoofer to the EP4000
post #4 of 6 Old 08-22-2012, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Pity we couldn't get someone at http://www.keiga.com.tw/index.html to make a few for us folks that need them. They developed the amps for ED. I guess ED has proprietary designs on the stuff.

post #5 of 6 Old 08-22-2012, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb67 View Post

Pity we couldn't get someone at http://www.keiga.com.tw/index.html to make a few for us folks that need them. They developed the amps for ED. I guess ED has proprietary designs on the stuff.

Interesting, looks like http://www.keiga.com.tw/products_kgnd52100.html is the LT/1300, Is it not? Funny, because they (Keiga) rate it at 1200W RMS at 10% THD. At 0.1% THD, the rating is only 1000W RMS. So somehow eD rates this at 1300W - maybe they made some modifications?

Anyways, at this point I am really leaning away from getting an LT/1300. Even if I did get one from daveds50 it would be in used condition (and it's still unknown if he has one w/o the subsonic filter) and probably would just fail again soon. It wouldnt be worth it to ship back and forth to me in Canada even with his warranty.

For the 450USD that I am getting back from Visa, I can get the Behringer amp and the Crossover and come out even, with a much more reliable and versatile setup with a 3yr warranty on the amp.

Unless anyone has some insight into an obvious failure in this plan, I am going to say "problem solved" at this point and let any eD discussion continue in the official thread.

Thanks guys!
post #6 of 6 Old 08-22-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidlefadle View Post

Interesting, looks like http://www.keiga.com.tw/products_kgnd52100.html is the LT/1300, Is it not? Funny, because they (Keiga) rate it at 1200W RMS at 10% THD. At 0.1% THD, the rating is only 1000W RMS. So somehow eD rates this at 1300W - maybe they made some modifications?
Anyways, at this point I am really leaning away from getting an LT/1300. Even if I did get one from daveds50 it would be in used condition (and it's still unknown if he has one w/o the subsonic filter) and probably would just fail again soon. It wouldnt be worth it to ship back and forth to me in Canada even with his warranty.
For the 450USD that I am getting back from Visa, I can get the Behringer amp and the Crossover and come out even, with a much more reliable and versatile setup with a 3yr warranty on the amp.
Let's be realistic here. There was never anyone at ED with the technical chops to start making modifications. Exaggerations, sure.

Just do a web search on that amp and it'll turn up a couple of domestic sources for it. Like this: http://www.oregondv.com/KGND_52100_Powered_Subwoofer_Amplifier.htm

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers