Sub recommendation for 10,000 cuft room. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 08-16-2012, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking to pick up my first sub for my home.
Running Denon AVR-1713 receiver
Current Speakers in home are built in wall and ceiling and are generic smarthome or something like that.
Looking for powered sub
Size isn't issue
Color isn't issue
Room is open floor plan with Kitchen, livingroom, breakfastroom, all as one big room10 foot ceilings I would think 10,000 cu foot size coverage would be at least good enough.

I'm not a huge audio junkie and when I watch movies I'm simply looking for a little thump that i don't get now.

Price wise I'd like to keep it as low as possible because I simply won't be using it that much at a loud level.

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-16-2012, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

I might have over calculated my room. It's roughly 20' wide and 30' deep with 10 foot ceilings. But with it being open to several hallways I thought something capable of 10,000 cu, foot room would be as they say overkill. But if something that will handle a 4000cu foot room will do fine then I'm okay with that. Again I don't ever blare music of tv or anything.
post #3 of 21 Old 08-16-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicegoose View Post

Price wise I'd like to keep it as low as possible because I simply won't be using it that much at a loud level

Unfortunately, there's no way anyone can help when your stated budget is this ambiguous. What does "low as possible" constitute? $500? $1000? $5000? There's really no generic metric for budgets. Check out this thread for some good information on what's needed.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #4 of 21 Old 08-17-2012, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry about the vagueness. I was simple trying to say that I'm sure there are 1000 dollar options out there but if there was a 300 dollar sub that did the same thing without the bells and whistles then 300 would be the ticket for me.
post #5 of 21 Old 08-17-2012, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:

Sorry about the vagueness. I was simple trying to say that I'm sure there are 1000 dollar options out there but if there was a 300 dollar sub that did the same thing without the bells and whistles then 300 would be the ticket for me.

If you're looking at subs in the 300 dollar range, Jim (above) is the man to talk to. See his budget subwoofer thread, tons of great info in there.

Personally, in this range, I've owned the Klipsch RW12D and have been very happy with it. smile.gif
post #6 of 21 Old 08-17-2012, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Gorilla
I'm usually pretty good about getting background information on something and going out and picking something with the best specs for my price point or needs. For such a simple task as buying a single speaker it seems there are a lot of variables to look for.
passive/active
down firing/ front firing
8/10/12" cone
frequency range(at least I think I'm saying that right)
post #7 of 21 Old 08-17-2012, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I'm not a huge audio junkie and when I watch movies I'm simply looking for a little thump that i don't get now.
Price wise I'd like to keep it as low as possible because I simply won't be using it that much at a loud level.

Pretty much any sub will give you the extra "thump", its just with a room that size you wont get the ideal movie experience as most of "us" desire wink.gif. But then again as you mentioned "I'm not a huge audio junkie and when I watch movies I'm simply looking for a little thump that i don't get now".

Right now until 8/23 Newegg.com has the Klipsch RW12D for $300 as Gorilla83 has suggested, quite a few people say thats the bang for the buck when it comes to $300. Link: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078
post #8 of 21 Old 08-17-2012, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

For $300 it's tough to beat the RW-12d, especially for HT, so that one should be on your short list. Another option is a pair of Energy S10.3's. That's $100 more than the Klipsch, but would give you more output and better sound distribution (assuming you have the space to put dual subs, of course).

post #9 of 21 Old 08-17-2012, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Jim thanks for the Input.
Here is quick sketch of my room layout. I was thinking of placing the sub in the corner of the room so it can bounce off the wall. The room is open concept like shown and as a side note the ceiling above the subwoofer and TV on wall angles with the roof line from 8' up the the rest of the ceiling at 10'.

post #10 of 21 Old 08-17-2012, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

That newegg deal was to good to pass up. INBOUND!!!!!
post #11 of 21 Old 08-17-2012, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That newegg deal was to good to pass up. INBOUND!!!!!

Congrats! Did you get 1 or 2?

post #12 of 21 Old 08-17-2012, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

I just got 1. should i place it in the corner of the room like I was thinking or somewhere else. From what I understand placing a sub in a corner helps to boost the sound by the waves pushing off the walls. Also with it not being a down firing sub will this even matter?

Lastly My home has an RG6 cable jack next to the speaker wires that come out of the wall. It took me a while to figure it out but it seems that they installed the jack in the wall and literally ran an rg6 cable through one stud then bundles it with the speaker wires. I'm sure this is for a subs use but would the multiple connections hurt the sound quality? I mean RG6 from receiver to wall plate and then wall plate to sub seem kind of odd. I could see it working well if the wallplate was away from everything else but in this case it's right next to everything else.
post #13 of 21 Old 08-17-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just got 1. should i place it in the corner of the room like I was thinking or somewhere else. From what I understand placing a sub in a corner helps to boost the sound by the waves pushing off the walls. Also with it not being a down firing sub will this even matter?

Looking at that diagram I'd probably try the corner first. Placing it in an area where the walls can reinforce the output would probably work to your advantage.

post #14 of 21 Old 08-22-2012, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Well I got the sub in yesterday. Wow! This thing is huge!!!
I was able to hook it up to my denon AVR-1713 and run audyssey and everything seems to be running good.
Couple questions though.
1. In my receiver owner manual it talks of direct and non direct sub setup. I'm assuming mine was non direct because of the steps it asked me to take we're available on the sub. The volume on the sub goes from +12db to -38db what would 50% be if the factory default was 0.

After running audyssey to adjusted my sub channel to +5 I would that although the sub blends with my other speakers well I didn't notice the gut thump like I expected. Subs are supposed to be seamless right? Meaning your don't want them to standout.

Thanks
post #15 of 21 Old 08-22-2012, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Well I'll speak for a lot of people on this forum; you want your sub to stand out (at least for movies biggrin.gif . Try turning your sub volume (on the sub) to 0db, and then rerun Audyssey. That's what I would do. You might have to pony up and get a more powerful sub, but see if the one you just bought will give you the 'thump' you're looking for. IT IS a big room.......

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #16 of 21 Old 08-22-2012, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Subs are supposed to be however you like it..... If your a bass head and like the bass to be a lil exaggerated then thats how you want it.... But yeah its going to be hard to make 1 12" Klipsch sub give you the gut thump. Duals of any sub would be best or if duals aren't an option then 1 more beastly sub might do it.... Also try near field placement (within 4ft of your listening position) maybe try using it as an end table (to do that though you would need a floor mounted receptical and sub connection because your couch is in the middle of your room).

Shawn
post #17 of 21 Old 08-22-2012, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After running audyssey to adjusted my sub channel to +5 I would that although the sub blends with my other speakers well I didn't notice the gut thump like I expected. Subs are supposed to be seamless right? Meaning your don't want them to standout.

This is precisely why I asked if you bought 1 or 2. I was afraid you might say something like that...

You have a big room, and a single 12" subwoofer will have to work very hard to fill it. However, bear in mind the sub is brand new, so it hasn't broken in yet. Also, you've only tuned it one time; you may need to do additional fine tuning. Give it a week before you start to do any critical listening. After the driver loosens up it might sound better to you.

post #18 of 21 Old 08-22-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
You have a large room and asking an awful lot from a 12" sub. If you are only going to go with one sub, then you shouldn't look at anything smaller than 15". If you are going to stick with a 12" sub, then you need to add a second one. You could possibly place the second sub on the wall that's between the hallway and the fireplace. If you do get a second sub, you have to make sure that the two subs place nicely together and are not canceling each other out, and make sure that you integrate them with the rest of your speakers. Once you add the second 12" sub, then you might achieve what you are looking for.
post #19 of 21 Old 08-22-2012, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm not necessarily saying that I'm disappointed just that my life experiences have be believing that subs should kick you in your pants. I'm really not sure that I even want it real thumpy. Anything will be better then using the little speakers in the ceiling like I had been. Like Jim said, I haven't really tested the sub either. I was listening to freakin James Taylor!!! and I could notice the bass especially if i turned it off to see if there was a difference.
I might re run Audyssey today with the sub set at 0db instead of lowering it.
The receiver said to turn the volume to 50% so if the receiver goes from -38 to +12 should I leave it at 0db and forget what the receiver says to do or put it at -12 to get a halfway point. Last night i put it at -19(half of -38, crazy i know). Also I shut off the LFE like the receiver said to and kept the High at 120Hz. Should I lower this to 80Hz? Im thinking going from 120 to 80 should effect output other then anything above 80 it won't play. I'm also assuming the receiver is taking care of this and is why it asked for the sub to be left at 120Hz.
post #20 of 21 Old 08-22-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Experiment with the gain on the sub and/or the sub output setting on your receiver. You will need to run it a bit 'hot' (higher than calibrated) to significantly notice it's output.

I started with a single RW-12 in a room that is 7000+cu foot (viewing area only) and open to another area just as large. I achieved a decent amount of noticable output eventually, but the sub was cranked way up when doing so. In a room like yours (my living room is similar) if you want to feel the bass it takes a fair amount of woofage! smile.gif
post #21 of 21 Old 08-22-2012, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks I'll run some tests and see what I can screw up.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page