Am I buying too much sub for my a/v receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-16-2012, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since my a/v receiver's (Yamaha RX-A820) frequency range only goes down to 20Hz am I wasting my money by buying a sub that can go down to 12.5Hz? I'm considering the Rythmik FV15 or FV15HP but would only want to spend the money if my receiver is capeable of sending those low frequencies to the sub?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-16-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 484
The 20Hz-20KHz spec refers to the 7 speaker channels. The spec for the LFE channel should be the standard 0-120Hz, and the subwoofer output should be able to deliver everything between 0Hz and the crossover setting.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Receiver specs typically read something like "Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven): 100W", but that doesn't mean the receiver will only send frequencies within that range to your speakers. It's just the range that they certify that power rating for. Rest assured, your sub will receive all the low frequencies that are encoded on the media.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-16-2012, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for clearing me up on this.
I needed to know so I wouldn't make the big purchase, then kick myself later for it.eek.gif
Much appreciated
post #5 of 9 Old 08-17-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Be See 1 2 3 View Post

Since my a/v receiver's (Yamaha RX-A820) frequency range only goes down to 20Hz am I wasting my money by buying a sub that can go down to 12.5Hz? I'm considering the Rythmik FV15 or FV15HP but would only want to spend the money if my receiver is capeable of sending those low frequencies to the sub?

Hey A Be See, I just bought the same receiver and the klipsch rw12d sub (for $299 on newegg). I hooked it up and it sounds really good, but I am in the middle of setting up and tweaking. It's a little overwhelming with all the different settings and what not. How are you liking the receiver? Mine sounds great, but was a little disappointed to find out that you have to buy a $99 wireless network adapter to get wifi for AirPlay feature to work without a wired connection.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-17-2012, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Refresh, I'm liking my A820 a lot, but haven't done any tweaking yet because the center and surround speakers that I have (4 ohm) are not compatible with the receiver. I here ya about the wireless adapter. I was considering the RX-V773 because it comes with the adapter, but a Crutchfield rep told me that a hard wired ethernet connection would be better for streaming music/movies from the internet. He even said that if I can't hard-wire it that a "powerline AV network adapter" would be a lot better than the wireless adapter so I'm also trying to figure out what route to go on that as well.
Here's a link for it on Amazon $83.00 http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Cable-DXPLN300P-PowerNet-Premium/dp/B003IHVQT6/ref=pd_cp_e_0
Glad to hear your sub worked well for you. I'm afraid I'm going to have to invest a lot into my sub because my home theater is in an unsealed open floorplan that's 2 stories high (9000 cu ft).
post #7 of 9 Old 08-17-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Be See 1 2 3 View Post

Hi Refresh, I'm liking my A820 a lot, but haven't done any tweaking yet because the center and surround speakers that I have (4 ohm) are not compatible with the receiver. I here ya about the wireless adapter. I was considering the RX-V773 because it comes with the adapter, but a Crutchfield rep told me that a hard wired ethernet connection would be better for streaming music/movies from the internet. He even said that if I can't hard-wire it that a "powerline AV network adapter" would be a lot better than the wireless adapter so I'm also trying to figure out what route to go on that as well.
Here's a link for it on Amazon $83.00 http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Cable-DXPLN300P-PowerNet-Premium/dp/B003IHVQT6/ref=pd_cp_e_0
Glad to hear your sub worked well for you. I'm afraid I'm going to have to invest a lot into my sub because my home theater is in an unsealed open floorplan that's 2 stories high (9000 sq ft).

Not meaning to hijack your thread, but you should be able to run 4 ohm speakers with your 820 if you want. My 710 has a setting for speakers with 4-6 ohms -- I assume the 820 has this as well. I'm running all 6 ohm speakers (center, mains, and surrounds), and my outdoor zone 2 speakers total about 4.8 ohms. My 710 runs the full load in the standard 8 ohm setting with no problems whatsoever.

Also, I agree with the crutchfield rep that you're better off with a hard wire for streaming music. My 710 doesn't have Airplay, but it cut out a lot when I was relying on wireless streaming. I hooked up a ethernet cable and it works flawlessly.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-17-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
A modern receiver with an 80 Hz crossover can handle 4 ohm speakers because of the 66% reduction in power drawn from the receiver when it doesn't have to power frequencies below 80Hz. With a powered subwoofer picking up the duties below 80 Hz (pretty much the industry standard), the burden on the receiver is greatly reduced. Back in the day, I saw a Carver amp with a power output gauge, and it was remarkable how little power was used by the frequencies above 80 Hz.
Archaea likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-17-2012, 12:20 PM

Yeah, hard wiring my receiver would be very difficult. I have a two story house and my computer/router is upstairs.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page