A little help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 08-17-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I have read so much over the last couple weeks and I really don't think I can read anymore. There are two classifieds for subs local to me and was hoping there might be a few that could chime in with their thoughts before I take the plunge.

The first is (2) eD A7s-650 subs that I think I can get for around $900-1,000. I am sure most know what is going on at eD which makes me worry about these. What is good is that apparently the gentleman who fixes their amps is now on this forum and from what I hear is willing to help people out if they experience any problems. I am not sure about their drivers, but I am sure there would be some kind of suitable replacement out there if eD were to go the way of AV123 (which of course would leave me no way of getting any replacement parts).

The second is for (2) Epik Empires that I think I can get for around $1,100. I have read so much a about the pros and cons of this sub that I have gone nuts. I am no pro at this and am pretty sure this sub will fit my needs (although many people say it is limited in its design to go down low and loud). With this I know the warranty is non transferable and I have heard of cases with bad amps (the owner actually had one replaced that DOA when it arrived), but I do not know to what extent or if they are bad as eD with failing amps.

I am trying to make this decision soon, so if anyone has any pointers or insight that may help me I would appreciate it. For now this will be in a small 12x14x8 bedroom until I get my basement finished which I think is roughly 2,500 cu. ft.

Attached is rough diagram of the room they will eventually be in if it helps. room sketch.pdf 60k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf room sketch.pdf (60.4 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-17-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Buy a sub that has no reported history of serious issues, and buy it new.

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #3 of 16 Old 08-17-2012, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well it looks like the Empires's sold. Guess I have to figure out if I want to take the chance on the two eD or wait to see if something else comes along.
post #4 of 16 Old 08-17-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorMachine View Post

Buy a sub that has no reported history of serious issues, and buy it new.

I hear you and I may have to do that. I was trying to do what most suggest on here by saving some money and buying a good sub used. I guess the problem here is that the eD sub although a good performer is know to be not very reliable.
post #5 of 16 Old 08-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If your space is gonna be approximately 2500 cubic feet you can find two suitable subs NEW within your budget. 2 hsu 2.4's would do nicely in that space.

butter and jelly please.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-17-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 437
The ED subs would be killer, especially for that price, the only thing you have to worry about is reliability. I wouldn't worry about the drivers so much as I would worry about the amps. However, if and when the amps go, it is a simple matter of replacing those, you can use a lot of different third party amps, but if the driver dies, you are SOL if ED does go belly up. If you are buying new though, you won't get anything close to the performance of two A7s-650s for 1k. Btw, the drivers are far less likely to go awry then the amps.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-17-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 428
yeah I'd seriously consider those ED a7-650's, assuming the seller is legit and they are undamaged.... Those are nicccccceee drivers. shadyJ is right. You can't touch that performance of a pair of those towers with new equipment for $1k with a 10 foot pole. I always felt they were a bargain at 2k for the A7-650 tower pair. (although I never got the pleasure to hear them).

If something goes wrong with the amp just buy something like a Inuke DSP 3000 for $360 or Peavy IPR DSP, or even just a tried and true EP4000. A single amp will drive both subs.

For $1,000 - $1,200 this setup would be darn hard to beat even used.

if you haven't seen what that 13Av.2 driver is capable of you really need to watch this vendor created promotional video. The driver excursion on that driver is pure insanity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZJX_qxfqmE

And then when you buy the pair please take them to Gorilla83's sub shootout on October 20. I'd definitely like to see/hear these puppies.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

post #8 of 16 Old 08-18-2012, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the replies gents. Like you said I am far less worried about the drivers as I am the amp. With the guy who fixes the amps foe eD has surfaced on these forums, hopefully if I do have an issue I would be able to send it out to him and have it fixed.

I have faith in the the seller as I bought two eD[c]12's off him ack in March and have not had issues with them. Guess I have to decide to take the risk or not now, but would love them as long as there is no issues.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-18-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

even with issues your amp replacement is only going to cost about $350, and you still came out ahead of new price.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout

post #10 of 16 Old 08-19-2012, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you buy them?

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout

post #11 of 16 Old 08-20-2012, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I plan on it but I did not have the time this weekend plus I need to get a truck to transport these things. I have been in contact with the owner and now I plan on setting up a time to go down and demo them.

Even though my basement is not done yet, I will use one in the temp setup in a 12x14x8 bedroom and store the other until it is needed. Man if I get these I cannot wait to hear what one of those sound like in a small room like what I have my stuff set up in now. eek.gif
post #12 of 16 Old 08-21-2012, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Did you buy them?

I will be going down on Sept. 8th to demo and hopefully bring them home. I am a little more confident after reading that apparently the LT/1300 amp does not seem to have the issues that the the smaller amps like the LT/500 amp do. I think I also read that the subs themselves are pretty durable.

It still bothers me that if there are issues I am SOL, but I guess sometimes for deals like these you have assume some risk on your part.
post #13 of 16 Old 08-21-2012, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

I will be going down on Sept. 8th to demo and hopefully bring them home. I am a little more confident after reading that apparently the LT/1300 amp does not seem to have the issues that the the smaller amps like the LT/500 amp do. I think I also read that the subs themselves are pretty durable.
It still bothers me that if there are issues I am SOL, but I guess sometimes for deals like these you have assume some risk on your part.

Well, if you decide you don't like them or would rather unload them, shoot me a PM. I'm always willing to try out something new. biggrin.gif

BTW - You need to bring these to our GTG on October 20th!
post #14 of 16 Old 08-21-2012, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Where is this GTG at? I see that you are in Deleware Co. I myself am in Montgomery County...about 10 minutes from King of Prussia in West Norriton.
post #15 of 16 Old 08-21-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

Where is this GTG at? I see that you are in Deleware Co. I myself am in Montgomery County...about 10 minutes from King of Prussia in West Norriton.

My place is in Thornton/Glen Mills. Easy ride for you - I'm about 10 minutes outside of West Chester. biggrin.gif
post #16 of 16 Old 08-21-2012, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

My place is in Thornton/Glen Mills. Easy ride for you - I'm about 10 minutes outside of West Chester. biggrin.gif

Yeah, I just saw your thread. I think I may be down my dads shore house in Sea Isle that weekend doing some remodeling with him and my brother, but not 100% on that yet. Pretty impressive that you have Mark Seaton showing face.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page