The Subwoofer Recommendation by Pricepoint Thread. - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 331 Old 11-15-2013, 09:04 AM
Member
 
unclerunkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Both are good subs from all the reviews I've seen around here. Those are two I've not directly experienced, but the Outlaw LFM1-EX should have more output - so for 80% movie use, I'd probably look that direction. You really can't go wrong with either sub choice there.

Thanks!
unclerunkle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 331 Old 11-22-2013, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 9,940
Mentioned: 416 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2842 Post(s)
Liked: 2422
I heard a pair of gjallarhorns tonight and they were awesome! One of only a few sub woofer systems I've experienced where I've actually felt the infamous 'waves' of bass pouring over me. d_c has them in a small to medium sized room and one gjallarhorn is nearfield with the mouth of the horn firing straight into the couch. His room is on a suspended floor and the entire tactile effect is excellent. The view of that LMS-5400 driver through the horn mouth is pretty amazing. That LMS-5400 driver is bigger than it appears is pictures and twice as good looking.

----------------------------------------
February 2017 - Kansas City Home Theater Crawl
Archaea is offline  
post #273 of 331 Old 11-24-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 7,905
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1599 Post(s)
Liked: 1465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I heard a pair of gjallarhorns tonight and they were awesome! One of only a few sub woofer systems I've experienced where I've actually felt the infamous 'waves' of bass pouring over me. d_c has them in a small to medium sized room and one gjallarhorn is nearfield with the mouth of the horn firing straight into the couch. His room is on a suspended floor and the entire tactile effect is excellent. The view of that LMS-5400 driver through the horn mouth is pretty amazing. That LMS-5400 driver is bigger than it appears is pictures and twice as good looking.

Cheap Orbit Shifter knockoffs ... tongue.gifwink.gif

But seriously given enough power, I have no doubt they claim the mountain top for HT horn subs but they also take big and ugly to a whole new level ... smile.gif
Archaea likes this.

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is online now  
 
post #274 of 331 Old 11-24-2013, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 9,940
Mentioned: 416 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2842 Post(s)
Liked: 2422
Ha

That's like one big rigg calling another big rigg... um... big?

smile.gif

----------------------------------------
February 2017 - Kansas City Home Theater Crawl
Archaea is offline  
post #275 of 331 Old 11-24-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 7,905
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1599 Post(s)
Liked: 1465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Ha

That's like one big rigg calling another big rigg... um... big?

smile.gif

Yeah, but the OS's have that one svelte dimension (22.5") going for them which can be big ( tongue.gif ) when trying to place them in a room ... wink.gif

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is online now  
post #276 of 331 Old 08-03-2014, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 9,940
Mentioned: 416 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2842 Post(s)
Liked: 2422
any additional comments/lists/udpates?

----------------------------------------
February 2017 - Kansas City Home Theater Crawl
Archaea is offline  
post #277 of 331 Old 08-07-2014, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
DekPM19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pooler, Ga
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
any additional comments/lists/udpates?
I have been looking at the Dayton 18" ho woofer. You can get the sealed flat pack & woofer for $320.00. When you look at data-bass I don't see anything that can touch it for the price. Archaea can you recommend anything over that for the price, I will say I may spend the extra and get the ported flat pack which is a little bit more. Also do you know if you can run that woofer with 2 of them off of one channel of amp, so I can build 4 of them to run off of a ep 2500 amp.
Thanks
Allen
DekPM19 is offline  
post #278 of 331 Old 08-11-2014, 02:14 PM
Member
 
Scottfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Plano,Tx
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
any additional comments/lists/udpates?
Can you update your sub list. The list on page 1 contains discontinued subs, from companies that are no longer around.
Dizzy49 likes this.
Scottfox is offline  
post #279 of 331 Old 08-25-2014, 01:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
Dizzy49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Grand Junction, CO:USA
Posts: 863
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottfox View Post
Can you update your sub list. The list on page 1 contains discontinued subs, from companies that are no longer around.
I would also appreciate an updated list.

Sean Hull

Denon 3808ci | PS3 80Gb | Harmony One | Toshiba XA2 | Samsung 61" PN60E6500EF | HTPC with HDMI

Dizzy49 is offline  
post #280 of 331 Old 08-27-2014, 11:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Y2KFirehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Saucon Valley, PA
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy49 View Post
I would also appreciate an updated list.
Agreed! Tuning in.
Y2KFirehawk is offline  
post #281 of 331 Old 09-04-2014, 09:32 PM
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 8,786
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1350
XTC put out some CEA numbers for a couple new subs in this audioholics preview article. If the CEA numbers for the 3X12 is accurate, that subwoofer is now playing with the big boys with respect to price/performance- especially when you factor in foot print.
shadyJ is offline  
post #282 of 331 Old 12-05-2014, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
willscary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: east central wisconsin
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I read all of these lists, shootouts, etc and I never see anything about a subwoofer that has been going strong for nearly a decade with minor power and driver upgrades...the Rythmik F25. This is an outstanding subwoofer!
willscary is offline  
post #283 of 331 Old 12-07-2014, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 9,940
Mentioned: 416 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2842 Post(s)
Liked: 2422
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekPM19 View Post
I have been looking at the Dayton 18" ho woofer. You can get the sealed flat pack & woofer for $320.00. When you look at data-bass I don't see anything that can touch it for the price. Archaea can you recommend anything over that for the price, I will say I may spend the extra and get the ported flat pack which is a little bit more. Also do you know if you can run that woofer with 2 of them off of one channel of amp, so I can build 4 of them to run off of a ep 2500 amp.
Thanks
Allen
You are correct. Price to performance is phenomenal on these flat packs.

Unless you are:
A. going to utilize many (>4)
B. placing nearfield
C. have a small room to fill

I will pretty much universally recommend a ported to 20hz cabinet over a sealed setup for a single or dual 18" build. I have this to say about sealed vs. ported. From direct, and detailed experiences with both.
Bought four sealed 18" cabinets on a wild hare - Direct me to a driver setup at least competitive or superior to JTR Captivators...


If you go ported (or even sealed) you'll need some mechanism to provide EQ. When I was using an EP4000 amp I used a Behringer mic2200. It worked well. You could do the same. It provides and HPF filter, and two PEQ channels. If you can afford a new amp I can't say enough good things about the Behringer iNuke DSP 3000 or DSP 6000. Dynamic EQ, HPF, Voltage limiting, 8 PEQ bands, any feature you can shake a stick at.

----------------------------------------
February 2017 - Kansas City Home Theater Crawl
Archaea is offline  
post #284 of 331 Old 12-07-2014, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 9,940
Mentioned: 416 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2842 Post(s)
Liked: 2422
Guys I updated my list in the second post. Unfortunately it was mostly deletions of subs that no longer exist (Klipsch RW-12D, Epic Empire). I haven't heard, experienced many of the newest models yet.

I changed my recommendation for $3k from "JTR S2 or JTR Orbit Shifter" to only JTR Orbit Shifter. That Orbit Shifter sub is almost in a class by itself - of all the subwoofer gear I've heard, I'd probably take it first. Sealed subs need multiples to be worth it for any bass enthusiast engagement, IMO. In the link I posted above I commented how I'd clearly take my former JTR ported captivator pair over five of my sealed UM18-22 subwoofers properly powered. I think eight of my sealed beat the JTR ported caps, but four or five = no, and the vast excitement for me on the sealed is from nearfield effect, where I can finally experience the effect of subsonic ULF - whereas it's lost when subs aren't placed nearfield unless you have a small room, or excellent boundary gain, or a wooden suspended floor.



Here's a prompt for anyone else to add their list if they want to throw their 2cents into the act. I'll link their recommended list in the first thread like I've done with the others.

----------------------------------------
February 2017 - Kansas City Home Theater Crawl
Archaea is offline  
post #285 of 331 Old 12-07-2014, 03:57 PM
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 8,786
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1350
Some other changes you will want to make:
The Outlaw LFM-1 EX is no more. Outlaw just cleared out their stock to make room for the Ultra X-12.
The Hsu VTF3 mk4 is also being phased out, although there are still some in stock. Being phased out in favor of the VTF3 mk5, which looks to be a massive performer at $900 shipped, easily the champ there.
The Rythmik FV12 has been discontinued in favor of the Rythmik LV12r, which is $569.
The base Submersive is now $2700 not including shipping.
shadyJ is offline  
post #286 of 331 Old 12-07-2014, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 9,940
Mentioned: 416 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2842 Post(s)
Liked: 2422
@shadyJ


Thanks for the news...I just clicked the links to others lists --- somehow (maybe in the forum owner change/update?) the list links weren't right anymore. I'm updating those links too.


Your list here too: Post 244
The Subwoofer Recommendation by Pricepoint Thread.

Last edited by Archaea; 12-07-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Archaea is offline  
post #287 of 331 Old 12-07-2014, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 9,940
Mentioned: 416 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2842 Post(s)
Liked: 2422
Do the others care to update their recommendation lists?
@Gorilla83 - Post #45
@JimWilson - Post #76
@RanaKabir - Post #84
@RMK! - Post # 94

Last edited by Archaea; 12-07-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Archaea is offline  
post #288 of 331 Old 12-07-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 7,905
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1599 Post(s)
Liked: 1465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Do the others care to update their recommendation lists?
@Gorilla83 - Post #45
@JimWilson - Post #76
@RanaKabir - Post #84
@RMK! - Post # 94
I think I am good with my original recommendations (dual OS's are hard to beat). Since I am now in a sense sub-less, it is unlikely I will have additional empirical data to add.

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is online now  
post #289 of 331 Old 12-07-2014, 04:37 PM
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 8,786
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
@shadyJ


Thanks for the news...I just clicked the links to others lists --- somehow (maybe in the forum owner change/update?) the list links weren't right anymore. I'm updating those links too.


Your list here too: Post 244
The Subwoofer Recommendation by Pricepoint Thread.
Lol, I had some nice things to say about PSA and even recommended a product of theirs. I should have waited for the measurements. That feels like a lot longer time ago than it actually is.
shadyJ is offline  
post #290 of 331 Old 12-07-2014, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
DekPM19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pooler, Ga
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
You are correct. Price to performance is phenomenal on these flat packs.

Unless you are:
A. going to utilize many (>4)
B. placing nearfield
C. have a small room to fill

I will pretty much universally recommend a ported to 20hz cabinet over a sealed setup for a single or dual 18" build. I have this to say about sealed vs. ported. From direct, and detailed experiences with both.
Bought four sealed 18" cabinets on a wild hare - Direct me to a driver setup at least competitive or superior to JTR Captivators...


If you go ported (or even sealed) you'll need some mechanism to provide EQ. When I was using an EP4000 amp I used a Behringer mic2200. It worked well. You could do the same. It provides and HPF filter, and two PEQ channels. If you can afford a new amp I can't say enough good things about the Behringer iNuke DSP 3000 or DSP 6000. Dynamic EQ, HPF, Voltage limiting, 8 PEQ bands, any feature you can shake a stick at.
Thanks for the information
Allen
DekPM19 is offline  
post #291 of 331 Old 12-07-2014, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 6,640
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1263 Post(s)
Liked: 1560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Do the others care to update their recommendation lists?
@Gorilla83 - Post #45
@JimWilson - Post #76
@RanaKabir - Post #84
@RMK! - Post # 94
Done.

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is online now  
post #292 of 331 Old 12-08-2014, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 8,560
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
Lol, I had some nice things to say about PSA and even recommended a product of theirs. I should have waited for the measurements. That feels like a lot longer time ago than it actually is.

You recommended a PSA sub? Who are you and what did you do with shadyj?...lol
jbrown15 is offline  
post #293 of 331 Old 05-04-2015, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 9,940
Mentioned: 416 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2842 Post(s)
Liked: 2422
Anyone care to update their list?

Or add a list?

----------------------------------------
February 2017 - Kansas City Home Theater Crawl
Archaea is offline  
post #294 of 331 Old 05-04-2015, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,706
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Me, me, me!!!

I will add a list a little later...
chucky7 is online now  
post #295 of 331 Old 06-02-2015, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
zoey67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: cloud9
Posts: 2,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Surprised Niles SW8 with 3 drivers is not anywhere on the top recommendations for each price point. This one deserves to be at the entry price point.
zoey67 is offline  
post #296 of 331 Old 08-22-2015, 05:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is the Orbit Shifter good for music, or just demolishing low end effects for home theater?

Last edited by Marsbound; 08-22-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Marsbound is offline  
post #297 of 331 Old 08-22-2015, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asoofi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NoVA
Posts: 1,733
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsbound View Post
Is the Orbit Shifter good for music, or just demolishing low end effects for home theater?
Both
asoofi1 is offline  
post #298 of 331 Old 08-24-2015, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 9,940
Mentioned: 416 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2842 Post(s)
Liked: 2422
Agreed.

It simply doesn't get much better.
Archaea is offline  
post #299 of 331 Old 08-24-2015, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 4,577
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1779 Post(s)
Liked: 4384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsbound View Post
Is the Orbit Shifter good for music, or just demolishing low end effects for home theater?
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
Both
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Agreed.

It simply doesn't get much better.
It's an incredible sub. But I also love the name. ORBIT SHIFTER… that says it all.
Hopinater is online now  
post #300 of 331 Old 08-30-2015, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 50
based off OP i think I'm going with dual FV15 for my HT room
blackjack616 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Monoprice , Bic , Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Seaton Sound Submersive H P

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off