My SC8000 impressions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-20-2012, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 304
First this is not a review in the sense that I have no means to measure and therefore this is entirely subjective.

Second this is the first "good" sub I've had and unfortunately my old sub died before I could set it up in this room so I have nothing to compare with in this particular environment.

I'm using a HK AVR 1600 (no room correction) and 5 NHT Super Zero 2s crossed over at 100hz.

Packaging- LAME. The sub weighs 72 pounds which is remarkable given it is only a 16" cube and only the top and bottom of the enclosure is solid. So Def Tec packages this $1500 (MSRP) sub in a single, somewhat thin box with only styrofoam protection on the top and bottom. Nothing on the sides. It's a miracle they make it without major damage. I find this cheap packaging unacceptable at what the sub costs.

I've watched Wrath of the Titans and The Hunger Games on Blu-Ray and The Dark Night via Vudu HDX. The HDX stream LFE channel was so hot I had to lower the sub volume by more than half.

Room size is 13w X 14D x 9H and can be sealed via two doors in opposite corners. I listen with the room closed off.

The sub was placed in the front right corner, 10 feet from the MLP. Interestingly I get very even bass response across the 4 wide sofa. By ear I can find no hot spot or obvious nulls anywhere in the listening area. I thought I would have trouble given the room dimensions.

Unfortunately I've never had a sub in this room before. My old sub died during the move. So I have nothing to compare to.

So- Wrath of the Titans, movie sucked but the sound was awesome. The SC8000 was able to pressurize the room to a level that was starting to make my ears uncomfortable. I don't know what frequency I can hear to anymore but I during the labyrinth scene and the ending scenes with Kronos I could feel pressure without hearing it. There was plenty of tactile feel through the sofa and body. Scenes where Kronos slammed his fist down and sent shock waves through the army where well represented in the room. Pretty good for a such a small non ported box.

Pretty much the same with the heavy LFE scenes in the Hunger Games, especially the forest fire. No complaints with this movie.

However, The Dark Night via Vudu HDX with the super hot LFE track sent the sub into "CLP" being displayed even after I lowered the sub volume by half of what it runs with Blu-Ray. I'm thinking that there was some pretty heavy sub 20hz stuff or really heavy 30-40hz stuff. It's weird because overall the room wasn't pressurized nor was it as loud as either of the other two movies.

I haven't listened to much music with it although what I have listened to sounded fine to me.

I listened to the 2 dub step tracks that are posted in this forum and the sub performed well. I didn't need it to go any louder for sure and don't know if it was producing any of the really low stuff but it certainly filled the room with bass.

I played some test tones via my iPod's head phone jack into stereo inputs. Just based on that the sub does actually make sound at 10hz. You do have to put your ear right up to it to hear it though.

Seriously, based on the test tones I downloaded there is not much at all below 20hz, which I expected. When movie watching I certainly don't know if I'm missing anything. I need to rent War of the Worlds again to watch the emergence scene and see what I get. I'm guessing I'm not going to get a lot since I've read that scene is at or below 20hz.

Over all I'm happy with it. I like the size. The remote is handy. I use it fairly often. The EQ settings are pretty pointless. I don't use them. I tried them and they all make the sub sound worse or just weird.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-20-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
If I were you I would buy the September issue of Sound&Vision magazine in which Brent Butterworth (who has tested more than 1,000 pieces of AV gear) tests the SC 8000. I like having professional tests of gear I buy, but buying the magazine is only what I would do. Brent liked the SC 8000 quite a bit. For those interested in measurements, Using CEA 2010 standards, the SC 8000 had low bass output of 117.6 and ultra low bass output of 106.4. Frequency response was down 3 db (half power point) at 32 Hz. 20Hz is down about 15 db below 32 Hz.

The remote is convenient.

Enjoy your purchase smile.gif
post #3 of 11 Old 08-20-2012, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

If I were you I would buy the September issue of Sound&Vision magazine in which Brent Butterworth (who has tested more than 1,000 pieces of AV gear) tests the SC 8000. I like having professional tests of gear I buy, but buying the magazine is only what I would do. Brent liked the SC 8000 quite a bit. For those interested in measurements, Using CEA 2010 standards, the SC 8000 had low bass output of 117.6 and ultra low bass output of 106.4. Frequency response was down 3 db (half power point) at 32 Hz. 20Hz is down about 15 db below 32 Hz.
The remote is convenient.
Enjoy your purchase smile.gif

Thanks for the info. I've been waiting for the review to show up online.

Seems it's like the other SC models in that it drops pretty fast below 30hz. Kind of figured that from the few test tones I ran.

No matter though I find it has more than enough output and generates plenty of tactile feel in my smallish room. Plus even at the frequency response it has it starts to get uncomfortable in the ears.

I guess I'm just not cut out for 20hz. biggrin.gif

Gene

Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
post #4 of 11 Old 08-20-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Enjoy your sub, Kini. Although you won't do it (probably); it would be prudent to leave the thread now. By the time these guys get through you'll forget what you liked about the sub and will have a severe case of buyers remorse until you buy one of their favored big as a coffin subs...preferably in black matte.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-20-2012, 03:47 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Thanks for the info. I've been waiting for the review to show up online.
Seems it's like the other SC models in that it drops pretty fast below 30hz. Kind of figured that from the few test tones I ran.
No matter though I find it has more than enough output and generates plenty of tactile feel in my smallish room. Plus even at the frequency response it has it starts to get uncomfortable in the ears.
I guess I'm just not cut out for 20hz. biggrin.gif
Gene

You are like most humans.biggrin.gif
post #6 of 11 Old 08-20-2012, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

Enjoy your sub, Kini. Although you won't do it (probably); it would be prudent to leave the thread now. By the time these guys get through you'll forget what you liked about the sub and will have a severe case of buyers remorse until you buy one of their favored big as a coffin subs...preferably in black matte.

I don't know what I may be missing, likely never will, so my buyer's remorse has already passed. wink.gif

Thanks for the prudent advice.

Gene

Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
post #7 of 11 Old 08-24-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You must be talking about me smile.gif, I have DUAL lovely HSU VTF-3HO's + Turbos. A combined 1,200 watts, XBL^2 drivers. They ain't nearly as big as a coffin but they sure are lovely.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-24-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
I don't know what I may be missing, likely never will, so my buyer's remorse has already passed. wink.gif
Some people buy "too small a sub", some buy from a company like CHT and face the wrath of trolls. tongue.gif Each of us has his own cross to bear. cool.gif At the end of the day, if you're happy with what you bought, you bought the right thing. If at some point you're no longer happy with what you own, you can always upgrade.

Congrats, and enjoy! biggrin.gif
post #9 of 11 Old 08-24-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 118
"You must be talking about me , I have DUAL lovely HSU VTF-3HO's + Turbos. A combined 1,200 watts, XBL^2 drivers. They ain't nearly as big as a coffin but they sure are lovely"

Well, if the shoe fits...wink.gif

Actually I find you to be open minded and rather forgiving of other peoples choices, spyboy.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-25-2012, 12:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

The black matte "coffins" don't stick out in a dedicated (darkened) theater room wink.gif

JP
post #11 of 11 Old 08-26-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"You must be talking about me , I have DUAL lovely HSU VTF-3HO's + Turbos. A combined 1,200 watts, XBL^2 drivers. They ain't nearly as big as a coffin but they sure are lovely"
Well, if the shoe fits...wink.gif
Actually I find you to be open minded and rather forgiving of other peoples choices, spyboy.

Thanks for the kind words, I strive to give readers the best advice I can muster. While it annoys some people things like the Nousaine List, tests by Ricci, Brent Butterworth, Keith Yates, and several others, I always do my best to steer people in the right direction smile.gif
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page