Jamo Sub 650 Omnimic Frequency Response Graphs - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-08-2015, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Archae - I know that this is an old thread, but thought you might have some insight. Hopefully I did my homework before I ask: Martin Logan Abyss or Jamo Sub 660 or something else.

So here are the details that seem to be needed from the posted sticky:

1. My budget: $500+ shipping, taxes, etc.

2. Size requirements/limits: Given the fact that my wife just talked me into getting rid of my Hales Revelation 3 towers (and replacing them with my Revelation 1 monitors) because "they're huge and ugly," I definitely can't have something the size of an end table in the front corner of the room. As such I need to stick to something that doesn't exceed 16x16x16 (height being the most important limiter). She's not my first wife, so this time I need to pay attention. Size limits I think cut out HSU.

3. Room dimensions. The listening area is about 2500 cubic feet, but it's open to the kitchen as well.

4. Primary uses. Approximately 50% HT/TV viewing, 50% music. My kids will use it for gaming, but since they aren't paying for it, gaming doesn't factor in at all.

5. Listening habits. Music is usually played in the background (I rarely critically listen like I used to), but I still want something tight (thinking sealed) that fills in where my Revelation 3's used to go (stated frequency response down to 33hz, but Stereophile measured in-room response down to 23hz - these were awesome). As for movies, I definitely want the low-end extension and the rumble, but I don't need incredibly high SPL levels. We have the first two floors of a three-flat in the city and my neighbors won't be happy if it's theater-level volume.

6. Appearance requirements: It needs to look good. Black vinyl will not cut it (so the regular SVS sb-1000 is out)

So I'm currently looking at a used Martin Logan Abyss for $500 shipped (that is supposedly mint) or a new, but discontinued Jamo sub 660 for $400 plus shipping. I can't demo either of these, but they seem to spec out fairly well. I'm not sure that the SVS SB-1000 is any better and I'd have to go the $599 piano black route.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2015, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked: 1298
Looking at the specs on the Martin Logan Abyss, and knowing the specs on my Jamo sub, (having measured them) I doubt there is much difference between the two assuming the Martin Logan's specs are legitimate.

Flip a coin, or go with the one that looks better in your room. Don't lose any sleep over the decision! If you go with the used, obviously you'll want to make sure it checks out first and comes from a reliable source so you aren't disappointed.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Old 01-08-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Looking at the specs on the Martin Logan Abyss, and knowing the specs on my Jamo sub, (having measured them) I doubt there is much difference between the two assuming the Martin Logan's specs are legitimate.

Flip a coin, or go with the one that looks better in your room. Don't lose any sleep over the decision! If you go with the used, obviously you'll want to make sure it checks out first and comes from a reliable source so you aren't disappointed.
Thx!
Old 01-08-2015, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked: 1298
sorry the answer isn't more exciting

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Old 01-08-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
sorry the answer isn't more exciting
Bummer...but my wife is cool with plain vinyl wrapping, so I think I'm going to spring for the SB-2000. It's only $200 more and I think it's worth it. Just measured the room and it's almost 3000 cubic feet.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwheaton View Post
Bummer...but my wife is cool with plain vinyl wrapping, so I think I'm going to spring for the SB-2000. It's only $200 more and I think it's worth it. Just measured the room and it's almost 3000 cubic feet.
While the SB-2000 is probably a very nice subwoofer, 3000 ft^3 is an awful lot of space for it to fill. My guess is it may not be up to the task. You should either consider getting a pair of them or something with a bit more output.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Old 01-09-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
While the SB-2000 is probably a very nice subwoofer, 3000 ft^3 is an awful lot of space for it to fill. My guess is it may not be up to the task. You should either consider getting a pair of them or something with a bit more output.
Would it be better to get one SB-1000 now and then add a second one later instead of getting one SB-2000? I thought one SB-2000 might work...while the space is fairly large, it's in a three-flat in downtown Chicago so we can't really open up the pipes.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwheaton View Post
Would it be better to get one SB-1000 now and then add a second one later instead of getting one SB-2000? I thought one SB-2000 might work...while the space is fairly large, it's in a three-flat in downtown Chicago so we can't really open up the pipes.
If you're able to get a sub just a bit larger you might want to check out the PSA XS15se. It's not much larger than the SB2000, and for sure it has more depth and output.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Old 01-09-2015, 01:05 PM

Jim - I thought of the PSA after my wife looked at a ML Dynamo 300 I temporarily have in the corner and said "I don't even notice it there." She might not care about a few more inches. I'm thinking that the SB-2000 might be enough output for us given that we're in a three-flat...and from what I've read, I thought that the SVS would be better for music(which is really important to me). Bad assumptions?