Question on setting up 2nd Hsu sub - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-20-2012, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Currently I have a Hsu VTF2 MK3 and will be picking up a VTF3 MK2 on Wednesday. Im curious as to the best way to set these up. My receiver is a Pioneer Elite VSX52 and does NOT have the capability to set a separate crossover for each sub so I was thinking I could do a couple of things. Set the crossover on the receiver at 80 and turn the crossover on the subs ON, with one in extension mode set at like 40-50htz (one port plugged) and the other at 80htx set for output mode (both ports open), or, same setting on the receiver but leave the crossover on the subs alone but still have one set for extension and for output.

What do you guys think? What should give me the best use of both? I would say my listening is 70% movies/TV 30% music. I dont game on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Perhaps someone smarter than me, perhaps even Dr. Hsu, will chime in, but don't see why you would need to set them at different crossovers. It seems the plug alone would accomplish your desired end, although I tink having them matched sonically is more important, or even reqquired. Curious to see the answer as I will be upgrading to duals myself in the near future.

A bump if nothing else. Good luck!
Old 08-21-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 166

No reason I can think of to run them with different crossover settings.

Post in the HSU thread, Dr. Hsu posts there often.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments guys. After your comments and some reading I think the best way is have the subs set to crossover out (use the receiver crossover) and simply set one for with both ports open and one with one port plugged. I'll be setting them and calibrating them over the next couple of days.

Thanks Richr 13 for the new to me VTF3MK2!!!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackangst View Post

Thanks for the comments guys. After your comments and some reading I think the best way is have the subs set to crossover out (use the receiver crossover) and simply set one for with both ports open and one with one port plugged. I'll be setting them and calibrating them over the next couple of days.

Did Dr Hsu recommend this?

I wouldn't have two subs tuned to different and proximal frequencies.  Below at and below tuning the sub output phase shifts, having them shift offset will offset phase and will be difficult to intgrate IMO.  Generally speaking you want to keep tuning frequencies the same.......

Old 08-22-2012, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackangst View Post

You are very welcome. I am going to move that center channel as we discusses. Let me know how the set up works out for you

Rich
Old 08-23-2012, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Did Dr Hsu recommend this?

I wouldn't have two subs tuned to different and proximal frequencies.  Below at and below tuning the sub output phase shifts, having them shift offset will offset phase and will be difficult to intgrate IMO.  Generally speaking you want to keep tuning frequencies the same.......

Actually I spoke with Leo this morning and he recommended doing this, AFTER gain matching both subs. Which I have now done. So Ive got the VTF3MK2 set in max extention mode and the VTF2MK3 set in max output mode.