Concerns about SVS PB12 in apartment - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-21-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I live in a high-rise apartment building; very thick poured concrete floors with laminate/wood. Viewing room is about 325 sq ft with 8 ft ceilings. I currently have a BIC VK-12 which is a decent enough sub (and so far hasn't gotten me in trouble with the neighbors), but someone on Craigslist has an SVS PB12 that I'm eyeing.

I'm concerned this will be WAY too much sub for my space and will bring complaints and such. I absolutely tune and adjust things to where they should be...I'm not a bass junkie or a person blasting bass-heavy music. Just movies and TV.

Thoughts on the power of this sub for a space like mine? If it helps, I have it paired to Polk RTi10s (aka RTi-A7) which can produce a fair amount of bass already.

Marantz AVR & monoblocks + MartinLogan Motion 3.1 setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-21-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 87
This subwoofer has an onboard amplifier gain dial, so... use common sense and be a good neighbor. Yes, you will still improve sound quality and extension by switching from your BIC to the SVS, even at low output levels.

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #3 of 4 Old 08-21-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You could try doing what I did. Pay your neighboors a visit while playing your current sub at loud levels to see how much noise is tranferred through the floor and walls. Also working out a possible timeline for you to enjoy your system at resonable hours is also possible. In the end, just be neighboorly and try not to play at reference levels all the time and you will be fine. I have three SVS 12" subs in m my apt on aurelex isolation pads BTW and have no complaints.cool.gif
post #4 of 4 Old 08-21-2012, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorMachine View Post

This subwoofer has an onboard amplifier gain dial, so... use common sense and be a good neighbor. Yes, you will still improve sound quality and extension by switching from your BIC to the SVS, even at low output levels.

Understood, and like I said I want it adjusted properly. No point in having a sub like that if you're constantly turning it down to keep the neighbors appeased.

Marantz AVR & monoblocks + MartinLogan Motion 3.1 setup
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page