need help to replace my subwoofer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-21-2012, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I bought my HT one year ago and I believe I did a mistake on the subwoofer. So I'm now trying to fix it. My dailly usage is basically TV/Movies and games

Here are my current specs:

- Room size: 3500 cu ft - TV area is just half of it.
- sub located on the corner
- receiver: Onkyo HT-RC270
- Speaker settings: 5.1

These are the speakers
- Center: Polk CSI A4
- Front: Polk RTI A1 (bi-amp)
- Surround: Polk RC80i

- Sub: PSW111
Bought it based on towns 5 star reviews on amazon.

Once assembled the HT sounded really nice except for the bass that really sounded crappy even compared to the last HTiB I owned previously. The original settings got from MultiEQ had the crossover settings on 80Hz, I increased it to 120 and the sub sounded a little bit better but also crappy.

I'm looking for a replacement to solve this issue. However I have basically 2 limitations:
- Budget : up to 300, but I can extend it to 400 for something really good since I'm planning to keep the sub on my next upgrade.
- size: The sub must have up to13.5 width otherwise it'll not fix on the corner and my wife will gonna kill me... biggrin.gif So I think most 12'' subs are out.

I've reading reviews on several places and saw the supercube iii but I believe This one will not sound much better than the PSW111. Also considering DSW PRO 500, however I was thinking on leave polk behind.

Anyone has any suggestion for sub to replace my psw that is on budget and on size?

Any help or suggestions are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I would continue to work with what you have. LPF setting on your subwoofer should be 120hz, but your sub should be crossed over at 80hz. Try running Audyssey again, and if the bass sounds muddy, try pulling the sub away from your corner some more.

As for another sub in your price range with your sized room? I would consider a Premier Accoustic PA-150.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 32
if you could squeeze a couple more inches into that corner, the klipsch rw-12d in on sale for 300 at newegg for a bit longer

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078&Tpk=rw12d

and if you can squeeze it and your budget to 500, a single legend would be nice for that large of a space:

http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/legend.html
Old 08-22-2012, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was checking the RW-12d but this 299 promotion is not valid anymore. It is being selled by 499. Best price I found was amazon with 379 + shipping.

What about the "Klipsch Sub-12HG Synergy Series 12-Inch" I saw it on Amazon by 299

Any suggestion on Definitive Technology? The proSubs are thin, even the ProSub1000 will fit on the spot I have. The question would be "is it worth?"

Thanks
Old 08-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 32
$200 off w/ promo code EMCNBJC22, ends 8/23 for the newegg link on the rw12d i posted earlier