Velodyne powered CHT-12 With Blown Subwoofer..... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 08-22-2012, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi......anyone have any ideas for a good economical replacement subwoofer?

The original speaker specs were 170 watts and 400 watts peak....2 copper wind VC.

Thanks....Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-22-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Price range?
post #3 of 21 Old 08-22-2012, 12:07 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofer 12 View Post

Hi......anyone have any ideas for a good economical replacement subwoofer?

The original speaker specs were 170 watts and 400 watts peak....2 copper wind VC.

Thanks....Randy

If you're thinking of having it repaired there is:

The Speaker Shop, in Ohio- http://www.thespeakershop.com/speakerrepair.html
(recommended by NHT)

and

Orange County Speaker California- http://www.speakerrepair.com/
(recommended by the local a/v shops).

I have the same sub and 5 years ago I had the amp replaced by Circuit City, but they're not around anymore.
post #4 of 21 Old 08-22-2012, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

Price range?

Well Velodyne wants $100 plus s&h for a oem.....and the oem speakers magnet came loose and the vc was rubbing......so I do not think much of their speakers....sometimes after market speakers are a upgrade from oem.....best bang for the buck in that vicinity I guess. smile.gif
post #5 of 21 Old 08-22-2012, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post

(recommended by NHT)
and
I have the same sub and 5 years ago I had the amp replaced by Circuit City, but they're not around anymore.

Quicker and easier and less money just to buy a new speaker.....thanks for the reply
post #6 of 21 Old 08-22-2012, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

(recommended by NHT)
and

If it was a high end speaker I might consider it....but its cheaper to just buy a new replacement 12 subwoofer.......thanks for the reply...Randy
post #7 of 21 Old 08-22-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

(recommended by NHT)
and

If it was a high end speaker I might consider it....but its cheaper to just buy a new replacement 12 subwoofer.......thanks for the reply...Randy

You're welcome. I had my center channel speaker's foam surround replaced at OC Speaker. It was only $58. The current NHT center channel speakers start at $299. It would have been about $20 less if I had removed the driver, but I felt it best to have someone who knows what they are doing to remove/replace it.
post #8 of 21 Old 08-22-2012, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

I was hoping someone who is familiar with the CHT-12 would be kind enough to give me a few links to aftermarket subwoofers that would match up with my velodyne subwoofer....its the first subwoofer that I have owned.....
post #9 of 21 Old 08-22-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:

I was hoping someone who is familiar with the CHT-12 would be kind enough to give me a few links to aftermarket subwoofers that would match up with my velodyne subwoofer....its the first subwoofer that I have owned.....

I'm actually going to upgrade my sub pretty soon. Although my Velodyne has been a good sub, a lot of movies now a days have really low bass info and it just won't go as low as I'd like. I've decided on the Hsu VTF-15H. There was a shootout involving this sub. Go through the first 7 posts:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1313176/shootout-epik-empire-vs-hsu-vtf-15h-vs-cht-cs18-1-vs-rythmik-fv15-vs-ed-a7s-450

Rythmik, Paradigm and SVS were some others I looked at. I would recommend to get an idea of what you want/can spend and then see what manufactures have subs around that price. Then start going through threads here on those subs and get an idea of what owners think. Some manufactures (like Hsu, Rythmik for example) participate in those threads and are more than happy to answer questions. Also do internet searches for reviews of subs that you're considering. The more you read the better decision you'll make.
post #10 of 21 Old 08-22-2012, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm actually going to upgrade my sub pretty soon. Although my Velodyne has been a good sub, a lot of movies now a days have really low bass info and it just won't go as low as I'd like. I've decided on the Hsu VTF-15H. There was a shootout involving this sub. Go through the first 7 posts:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1313176/shootout-epik-empire-vs-hsu-vtf-15h-vs-cht-cs18-1-vs-rythmik-fv15-vs-ed-a7s-450
Rythmik, Paradigm and SVS were some others I looked at. I would recommend to get an idea of what you want/can spend and then see what manufactures have subs around that price. Then start going through threads here on those subs and get an idea of what owners think. Some manufactures (like Hsu, Rythmik for example) participate in those threads and are more than happy to answer questions. Also do internet searches for reviews of subs that you're considering. The more you read the better decision you'll make.

Thanks Tom....I appreciate the help. smile.gif

I been googling and have searched ebay.....must speakers are 4 ohm for car audio......having trouble finding candidates for the Velodyne.....where do you do your speaker shopping?

Randy
post #11 of 21 Old 08-23-2012, 05:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks Tom....I appreciate the help. smile.gif

I been googling and have searched ebay.....must speakers are 4 ohm for car audio......having trouble finding candidates for the Velodyne.....where do you do your speaker shopping?

Randy

My speakers are NHT and I got them 20 years ago at Audio Concepts in Long Beach, CA and I got my Velodyne at Circuit City 10 years ago, so I don't do much shopping for speakers. Usually speaker manufacture website will have a dealer locator. Type in a zip code and it'll tell you the closest store that carries them.
post #12 of 21 Old 08-23-2012, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My speakers are NHT and I got them 20 years ago at Audio Concepts in Long Beach, CA and I got my Velodyne at Circuit City 10 years ago, so I don't do much shopping for speakers. Usually speaker manufacture website will have a dealer locator. Type in a zip code and it'll tell you the closest store that carries them.

I miss Circuit City.....they had great prices....the town I live in has nothing...I usually buy everything online anymore......or its a 30min drive to the closest town with a best-buy..
post #13 of 21 Old 08-23-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm assuming that you are looking to change the speaker only and not the whole subwoofer. Have you tried Partsexpress.com?

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/subwoofers/14?kg=497|3924
post #14 of 21 Old 08-23-2012, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm assuming that you are looking to change the speaker only and not the whole subwoofer. Have you tried Partsexpress.com?
http://www.parts-express.com/cat/subwoofers/14?kg=497|3924

Yes.....thanks for the link.smile.gif
post #15 of 21 Old 08-23-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Your Welcome. If you haven't dealt with PE before, you can call them with the parameters of your sub enclosure and amp and they can help pick the best driver for your application. If that doesn't work out they also have inexpensive powered subs and sub building kits as well.
post #16 of 21 Old 08-24-2012, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Your Welcome. If you haven't dealt with PE before, you can call them with the parameters of your sub enclosure and amp and they can help pick the best driver for your application. If that doesn't work out they also have inexpensive powered subs and sub building kits as well.

Yeah....I will probably do that.....the guy at velodyne was going to sell me a down grade...said it was the only speaker they had that matched up closest to my older unit...if I am gonna spend the money for a new speaker...it has got to be equal or better than the original speaker.

Those kits are a great deal.

I have been looking at these.....Dayton Audio RSS315HFA-8 12" Reference HF Subwoofer 8 Ohm.

Randy
post #17 of 21 Old 09-20-2012, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Well.....I bought a 12 JBL subwoofer and it is too big for the cut-out......the cut-out is exactly 12 inches....the od of the JBL speaker is 12 3/8....totally disgusted. frown.gif
post #18 of 21 Old 09-24-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 248

The CHT-12 is a ported subwoofer so this makes it much more difficult to find a replacement. You would need to measure the inside of the cabinet to get the internal volume. Also measure the inside of the port.

With these measurements you can then use Winisd to model some drivers. Randomly selecting a replacement driver is not good when dealing with a ported subwoofer cabinet. Make sure to read the specifications for the exact cut out of the driver so you know it will fit properly. Not just the width but also depth.

post #19 of 21 Old 09-24-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

I did not know that 12 woofers are all not the same size.......my velodyne subwoofer that I took out is exactly 12 inches od......the new jbl I bought is about 3/8ths larger. mad.gif
post #20 of 21 Old 09-24-2012, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 248

A 12" driver is not always exactly 12"... weird I know but that's how it is. You can plug the port and run the sub sealed but you won't get as much SPL as ported.

post #21 of 21 Old 09-27-2012, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Well Velodyne wants $100 plus s&h for a oem.....and the oem speakers magnet came loose and the vc was rubbing......so I do not think much of their speakers....sometimes after market speakers are a upgrade from oem.....best bang for the buck in that vicinity I guess. smile.gif

I am confused, did you buy the replacement driver from Velodyne and it arrived broken? Or are you stating that the magnet coming loose and the voice coil rubbing was the failure on the original subwoofer driver after 8-12 years of use? If you purchased the replacement and it was damaged in delivery we need to solve that problem for you.

When in comes to audio there are seldom right and wrong answers.  The opinions of "experts" are just that, and should be used as a suggestion only.  Remember at the end of the day it is your money, your system, and you will need to listen to it.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page