Need help with new HSU VTF2-MK4 and pioneer reciever, i am new to this - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-22-2012, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi AVS forums people!

I am very excited to jump into this stuff, I am currently building my first system and it is not completely done as I only have a 2.1 system and will soon be upgrading to a 5.1 or 7.1 soon as i buy more and more speakers.

But i have some of the components and i have many many questions and would like to hear from some previous users of some of this stuff so i can plan for the future and what not.

So the system will eventually be comprised of the following for 70/30 music/home theater purpose:

• * Pioneer vsx-1021k
  • * Technics direct drive turntable (can't remember model)
  • * Polk Tsi100's (currently have) *fronts currently - will be rears when i get the new fronts*
  • * Polk Tsi500's (do not have, buying next) *fronts*
  • * Polk CS20 (do not have, buying soon)
  • * HSU VTF2-MK4 *currently have*

So which the setup configured as such, i do have some questions about tuning and setting things up better.

First is the receiver, do many of you do much tuning to the receiver? do you play with crossover and phase and different levels and EQ and that sort of thing or do you just run with stock? I am running with stock settings and i don't know if playing with the settings would do much good. And if it does, then what do i play with? What should i try to adjust to my preferences?

Second is the subwoofer. I'm hoping there are some HSU fans/owners out there that can help me get started with this woofer as it is very new and is just getting broken in now. My question is i guess about the breaking in process. I've heard that HSU's woofers have some of the stiffest drivers, and that it takes about a week of playing moderately loud bass intensive media.

Third has to deal with the woofer as well. What settings are you all using? For Volume for example, the manual says to start at the 9o'clock position and slowly move toward your listeneing preference, but i have to say, at 9, i could barely hear any difference, so i moved up once notch, slightly better, one more notch to 11 o'clock, and it was noticeable and then finally put it to 12. on the volume dial and that was pretty nice, but it kind of sounded what some call 'boomy' and i don't really know what that sounds like. I don't know what good bass sounds like and 'boomy' bass sounds like. Also other things like phase and these 'ported' settings, what is the best for what. The manual explains only so far.

If someone could maybe guild me through some of these caveats for a newbie to home audio i would be very thankful!

Thanks!

lr.JPG 45k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lr.JPG (44.8 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-22-2012, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 520
First of all, you want to place the sub in an optimal position. You will have to experiment with different placements, also you can try the subwoofer crawling method to determine optimal placement. Out the subwoofer's phase on zero, the volume at 9'o'clock, and I would start with two ports open mode with Q at .5. Don't adjust the receiver's bass mangement setting yet, except to put the speakers on small and use a 80 hz crossover point. You will want to run MCACC after you have found the best place.

The subwoofer won't need a break in. The driver's will loosen up slightly but you probably wont hear the difference.

Go through Hsu's start up guide and the manual. Dr. Hsu himself answers question in the Hsu thread, he can help you with specifics, but you should still go through the manual first so your questions would be more informed. Remember that placement is absolutely crucial in getting the most out of your sub, it can make a sub go from a whisper to a roar within the same room simply from changing the sub's position or the listening position.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Vtf2 Mk4

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page