My HSU subwoofer has met its match.. damage done? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-22-2012, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was watching The Hunger Games on BD tonight. During one of the first scenes when the main character is in the forest and an aircraft flies overhead, my HSU VTF-3 MK3 with Turbo started making a sort of metallic banging/pinging sound.. which is what I remember bottoming out described like. I turned the volume down some, and the sub seemingly performed fine for the rest of the film. How can I check to see what damage was done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-22-2012, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Bottoming out the driver can cause damage but that doesn't mean it necessarily will. Run some sine wave test tones on it, like 30 hz, 40 hz, 50 hz, if you don't hear anything strange it is probably ok. Your subwoofer is probably fine, you just don't want that to bottom it out a lot. Bottoming out is when the voice coil hits the rear plate, and if it hits the rear plate enough, it can hammer it out of shape, and then your driver is ruined. By the way, don't run the sine wave test tones at loud levels for prolonged periods of time, sine waves are hard on drivers, it will heat up your sub in a hurry.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-22-2012, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 70
That's odd. How high did you have it? I listened to that same scene at -15 master volume and +0 sub level and it wasn't anything too special.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-22-2012, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Yeah that scene really rumbled. drewTT run your sub a little hotter you're missing out man.

post #5 of 5 Old 08-23-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Bottoming out the driver can cause damage but that doesn't mean it necessarily will. Run some sine wave test tones on it, like 30 hz, 40 hz, 50 hz, if you don't hear anything strange it is probably ok. Your subwoofer is probably fine, you just don't want that to bottom it out a lot. Bottoming out is when the voice coil hits the rear plate, and if it hits the rear plate enough, it can hammer it out of shape, and then your driver is ruined. By the way, don't run the sine wave test tones at loud levels for prolonged periods of time, sine waves are hard on drivers, it will heat up your sub in a hurry.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

That's odd. How high did you have it? I listened to that same scene at -15 master volume and +0 sub level and it wasn't anything too special.
I had at it at -9dB master, not sure about my sub level though.. I'll check when I get home. I've watched other bassy movies (e.g., Cloverfield, Live Free Or Die Hard, Tron: Legacy, Star Wars II: AOTC, etc.) at the same level or higher, but maybe The Hunger Games had more low bass than others? I backed it down to -13dB master for the rest of the film after the bottoming out, and the sub performed very well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanglo View Post

Yeah that scene really rumbled. drewTT run your sub a little hotter you're missing out man.
Yeah, I'm surprised when I hear some people say that The Hunger Games doesn't have much bass.. The aircraft scenes and the forest fire scene might be up there in my top 3 (if not number 1) bassy scenes I've watched..
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page