Subwoofer connection options to AVR: 'SUB OUT' vs 'Surround out' - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there an advantage/disadvantage connecting each of my two subwoofers to the TWO sub woofer outputs on the AVR vs connecting them to the L/R surround outputs?

I am new and not very technical but have tried to learn as much so any thoughts on this subject is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Connecting the subs to the TWO sub woofer outputs on the AVR is the right thing to do (and with proper bass management). Why would you plug them to the surround outputs? rolleyes.gif
post #3 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Sub out is for subwoofers, which means it passes the bass and low frequencies to the subwoofer. Surround out is for an external amp to power you surround speakers. Hook subwoofers to Sub out.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

Connecting the subs to the TWO sub woofer outputs on the AVR is the right thing to do (and with proper bass management). Why would you plug them to the surround outputs? rolleyes.gif

That's the question. Why not?
post #5 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

Sub out is for subwoofers, which means it passes the bass and low frequencies to the subwoofer. Surround out is for an external amp to power you surround speakers. Hook subwoofers to Sub out.

I don't understand and perhaps it is semantic, but I currently have speakers(not an external amp) connected to my surround outputs. So I don't understand your response.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by megabyzus View Post

I don't understand and perhaps it is semantic, but I currently have speakers(not an external amp) connected to my surround outputs. So I don't understand your response.

What brand/model is your receiver? Does the subwoofer use RCA or does it use speaker wire? Surround speaker inputs for speaker wire is a direct connection to the receiver so it can power your surround sound speakers. You could also have RCA jack inputs to add an external amp and then you hook the speakers up to the external amp. A power subwoofer uses an RCA jack to connect to the RCA output on the receiver its usually colored purple.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-24-2012, 05:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

That's the question. Why not?

because you will not be sending the sub channel to the sub...

stop and think a minute... what you are proposing doesn't make sense...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #8 of 9 Old 08-24-2012, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

What brand/model is your receiver? Does the subwoofer use RCA or does it use speaker wire? Surround speaker inputs for speaker wire is a direct connection to the receiver so it can power your surround sound speakers. You could also have RCA jack inputs to add an external amp and then you hook the speakers up to the external amp. A power subwoofer uses an RCA jack to connect to the RCA output on the receiver its usually colored purple.

The receiver's an Onkyo TX-NR616. The two subwoofers are POLK PSWi225 wireless subwoofer. I see the subwoofer has two types of inpouts: 1. Single Input (with 'LFE' printed below it) and An 2. L/R RCA input pair.

This is where my question comes from: Why the two types of inputs on the subwoofers and why can't I connect the L/R's to my 'regular' speaker outs on the back of my AVR?

Thanks!
post #9 of 9 Old 08-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

The receiver's an Onkyo TX-NR616. The two subwoofers are POLK PSWi225 wireless subwoofer. I see the subwoofer has two types of inpouts: 1. Single Input (with 'LFE' printed below it) and An 2. L/R RCA input pair.
This is where my question comes from: Why the two types of inputs on the subwoofers and why can't I connect the L/R's to my 'regular' speaker outs on the back of my AVR?
Thanks!

Your subs' LFE inputs likely bypass their on-board crossovers and are designed to use the low-passed feed from the AVR's bass management along with the band-limited LFE. The L/R RCA inputs likely invoke the subs' on-board crossovers. Read your sub's manual or contact Polk's support for confirmation of the correct course. I see you've now moved to selecting the "regular speaker outs", I don't know if that is referring to the front channels. If it is, then you could set the front speakers to LARGE with LFE and send their pre-outs to your subs. But, your subs will need a very steep low-pass filter (and/or a very low filter frequency) to keep the subs from muddying-up dialog. This is a very unusual connection scheme that isn't often seen (and is full of pitfalls), so it's difficult to recommend.

The pre-outs for the surround channels will not carry LFE (a tremendous loss for movies) and the surround channels are likely high-pass filtered, so you've now removed almost all the bass from the subwoofer feed.
This connection scheme is so wobbly that it boggles me.

I'm rather surprised to see your resistance to using the subwoofer outputs of your AVR.
The outputs carry the label "SUBWOOFER" for a reason, they are designed to be used with subwoofers.

Two would seem to be two too many to me too.
Sarcasm is the sincerest form of flattery.
I bid you a fondue.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page