2x Klipsch RW-12d vs 1x HSU/SVS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 08-24-2012, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Opinions on having 2 moderately / low priced subs (RW-12d discounted through new egg) vs one VTF-3 or PB12-NSD?

My room dimensions are frequently changing as I'm in a new apartment about every year, so I was leaning toward the versatility of having 2 subs. But, I'm wondering if a single more expensive sub would be capable of equal or higher output at more frequencies.

Anyone have experience comparing the two setups?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-24-2012, 10:37 AM

Liked: 11
I would read this if you haven't already:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/shootout-five-mid-price-subwoofers?page=0,0

The # that sticks out to me is the 86dB @ 20 Hz for the RW-12D. Another sub (LFM-1EX) tested 96dB @ 20 Hz. That is 10 dB, and duals if colocated can only gain back another 6dB. The SVS tests about 1dB higher than the LFM-1EX on http://www.data-bass.com, so I consider it a good reference point.

I have owned dual rw-12ds and I can say they do great for music and ok for movies IMO. They give plenty of output > 25 Hz (great for most music), but they have issue with the < 25Hz stuff. I believe Archaea has some nice threads including information and graphs on this sub.

I think the SVS would give you a much better output down low, but I don't think it could match the output you'd get from dual rw-12ds > 30 Hz. It comes down to what is important to you.

resolution good....
post #3 of 22 Old 08-24-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

I'd like to get a satisfying chest-hit during loud moments in movies and bassy music.

If the RW-12D can pull that off, I think they are the way to go as I can get a more consistent listening experience around the room. If the extra 10dB makes a significant improvement, though, I would sacrifice the versatility and go with a single.
post #4 of 22 Old 08-24-2012, 11:37 AM

Technically, since I'm assuming you'd go duals... not co-located with minimal cancellation, you'd gain 3dB across the board. This would only put you 6dB light @ 20Hz. Where are you located? I am thinking of selling my duals possibly. Getting them from Newegg for 300 a pop shipped is a great deal however. Thats where I bought mine from and the only shipping issue I had was a slightly dinged corner on the rear of one. They're pretty good about talking with you on the phone to cut you a price break or send you another one if a problem like this does occur.

resolution good....
post #5 of 22 Old 08-24-2012, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, data-bass has the SVS PB12-NSD at 103 dB at 20 Hz, which would make the dual Kilpsch about 15 dB behind. I don't have enough experience with this stuff to know if I would feel a 15 dB difference without hearing the two systems one after the other.

Am I going to feel like some notes and impact are missing if I go with the Kilpsch, or will I be pretty happy with it as long as I avoid listening to other systems?

I'm in central FL.
post #6 of 22 Old 08-24-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumps View Post

Actually, data-bass has the SVS PB12-NSD at 103 dB at 20 Hz, which would make the dual Kilpsch about 15 dB behind. I don't have enough experience with this stuff to know if I would feel a 15 dB difference without hearing the two systems one after the other.
Am I going to feel like some notes and impact are missing if I go with the Kilpsch, or will I be pretty happy with it as long as I avoid listening to other systems?
I'm in central FL.

Lol, you would definitely feel a difference between 15 db. That is a pretty massive difference. The Klipsch sub isn't bad, as long as you get it for $300. It will have lots of output, just not much deep bass. I wouldn't be surprised if it beat the PB12 sub in deep bass and upper bass, the PB12 does not fare well there. If you have a big room, I might go for two Klipsch subs, as long as they are $300. If you have a medium sized or smaller room, go for a VTF3, it has deep bass galore without sacrificing bass output above that range.
post #7 of 22 Old 08-24-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Two of the RW-12Ds can provide a smoother frequency response in a given room than any single subwoofer. One VTF3-MK4 or one PB12-NSD will allow you to dig deeper than any number of RW-12Ds. The Hsu and SVS systems are in a different class.

I think you should step up to this sub-20Hz class. It reproduces a layer of your HT experience (and maybe your music experience, too, depending on what you listen to) that you've been missing and that you'd still be missing if you went with the RW-12D. Dual subs is really nice of course, but I think you aren't really having the AV enthusiast experience until your system can easily reproduce tones down to 20 Hertz or lower. 20Hz may sound arbitrary... I'm just saying this based on my experiences with 25Hz+ subs and sub-20Hz subs. As loud as a sub is, if it rolls off at 25Hz, there's a kind of room experience it simply can't provide, even if it has a brother.

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #8 of 22 Old 08-24-2012, 12:22 PM

I've struggled with basically the same question for the past month or so -- whether to go with 2 RW-12ds or a single Outlaw LFM-1EX (or comparable HSU, SVS or Rythmik). Complicating matters for me is the fact that my sub would be located in a huge greatroom open to the rest of my house, so proper pressurization (sp?) just isn't possible on my budget. Each time the RW-12ds go on sale, I spend a couple of days reading and re-reading various reviews and threads (including specifically Archaea's RW-12d review noted above, the S&V subwoofer shootout, etc.). And I spent all day yesterday trying to figure out how I could build a proper DIY box for the the Klipsch amp and driver ...

Based on the low frequency stats that AVrebel posted above, however, I always come out on the side of buying a single, better quality sub for the same money. Now I'm just waiting for the Outlaws to go on sale, or for the new Rythmik's to come out ... And if a single turns out to be insufficient, I'll just try to talk the wife into letting me buy a second one next year ...

I'd be very interested to hear others thoughts on this topic.
post #9 of 22 Old 08-24-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if it beat the PB12 sub in deep bass and upper bass

You're too well-informed to entertain this opinion seriously. What gives?

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #10 of 22 Old 08-24-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:

I'm in central FL.

They also list the the LFM at 101 or 102 dB (port config differences) @ 20 Hz, so I used that as a guage as the initial link had the LFM @ 96 dB.

As far as how it'll affect you.... that is a tough one. Its a tricky thing as its hard to quantify the value of something to you if you have not personally experienced it.

I personally like the ability to produce the lower ranges. The Klipsch is a great product, but I couldn't get past the chuffing sounds on the lower notes. I ended up spending quite a bit more money to get the best of both worlds (dual cht vs-18.1s and a separate dayton amp). If it were me and I had a limit of around 700, I'd personally get a VTF-3/LFM-EX/Plus or the SVS PB12-NSD.

Unfortunately, I'm up here in Indiana, so no way I can demo or show you the difference compared to something producing the lower range.

resolution good....
post #11 of 22 Old 08-24-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanebo View Post

I've struggled with basically the same question for the past month or so -- whether to go with 2 RW-12ds or a single Outlaw LFM-1EX (or comparable HSU, SVS or Rythmik). Complicating matters for me is the fact that my sub would be located in a huge greatroom open to the rest of my house, so proper pressurization (sp?) just isn't possible on my budget. Each time the RW-12ds go on sale, I spend a couple of days reading and re-reading various reviews and threads (including specifically Archaea's RW-12d review noted above, the S&V subwoofer shootout, etc.). And I spent all day yesterday trying to figure out how I could build a proper DIY box for the the Klipsch amp and driver ...
Based on the low frequency stats that AVrebel posted above, however, I always come out on the side of buying a single, better quality sub for the same money. Now I'm just waiting for the Outlaws to go on sale, or for the new Rythmik's to come out ... And if a single turns out to be insufficient, I'll just try to talk the wife into letting me buy a second one next year ...
I'd be very interested to hear others thoughts on this topic.

I don't know if this helps but I have tried the dual cheaper sub method then finally bit the bullet and bought a single more expensive sub and the single sub is noticeably better. Where it was noticeable was once you get sub 30hz and especially when you are sub 25hz.. My thought was to buy the single best sub I could now and add a second later.

Another option is to go DIY.. You can even buy a finished cabinet and then look for deals on drivers and amps.
post #12 of 22 Old 08-24-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

What is the actual room size total (including all rooms that are open to the main room where the sub will go)?
post #13 of 22 Old 08-24-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

What is the actual room size total (including all rooms that are open to the main room where the sub will go)?

The living room is only about 15x20x8, but it opens up to a kitchen (10x15), entryway (10x10), and a long hallway, with a 90 degree bend, off that entryway (20x4 or so).

Maybe my hopes of even bass distribution throughout the kitchen / living room / entryway with two subs is a little out of reach anyway, given the awkward layout.

Leaning towards the single sub with more low end, tuning it for one listening position, and hoping for the best everywhere else.
post #14 of 22 Old 08-24-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The living room is only about 15x20x8, but it opens up to a kitchen (10x15), entryway (10x10), and a long hallway, with a 90 degree bend, off that entryway (20x4 or so).
Maybe my hopes of even bass distribution throughout the kitchen / living room / entryway with two subs is a little out of reach anyway, given the awkward layout.
Leaning towards the single sub with more low end, tuning it for one listening position, and hoping for the best everywhere else.

You can give Hsu, SVS, etc a call and talk about your situation, but based on what you just described I would add the best sub you can, and if you are not happy, you can add a second when funds are available. Honestly, I think a solid Hsu, SVS, sub would be a smart move or waiting for those Outlaw subs to go on sale.

Waiting for reviews on these, but this sub could be solid too in the $700-800 range:
http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/xv15
post #15 of 22 Old 08-24-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:

I think that's probably the best approach, based on my research.

An open floor plan is almost impossible to pressurize properly. The open space around my family room is about 25,000 cubic feet. After looking at commercial, DIY, and even IB options, I determined that it would be cheaper for me to build a separate theater in the basement than to buy enough subs to fill the space.
post #16 of 22 Old 08-24-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 428
I wouldn't worry too much about that 86dB at 20hz number from the sound and vision magazine on the Klipsch. I don't even know how they decided at what frequency to capture the 10% distortion levels because it's different for every sub. The Klipsch is tuned somewhere in the mid low 20hz range from what I can see, and at 20hz the sub would be below its port tune. Anyone familiar with ported designs knows that below port tune there is going to be more distortion. So why did they pick 20hz as the 'bass limit' on the Klipsch? That makes no sense. confused.gif Perhaps somebody can clear it up for me.

Unless I'm missing something, that particular statistic is particularly invalid and unhelpful. Consider, the HSU is tuned to 16hz --- they didn't capture its "bass limit" at 13hz (3dB lower than port tune like they did on the Klipsch). The Outlaw was tuned to 16hz as well, yet they captured it's 'bass limit' at 20hz. Why the discrepancy? --- With the Outlaws bass limit being captured above tune - they certainly gave that particular single statistic a little advantage for the Outlaw! It doesn't make sense to me. Why was the bass limit on the Velodyne measured at 25hz on a big ported 15" driver? What I'm saying is if you look at that number solely as it relates to the Klipsch, and judge on that statistic alone you'll miss the bigger picture. Sure the Outlaw and HSU dig deeper -- they are tuned to do so, but I've no idea why they chose a point below port tuning on the Klipsch to measure a max spl at 10% distortion. That's junk data. Any sub will produce much higher distortion at lower SPL's when measured below port tune.

I've measured the Klipsch in a a couple different rooms and in several different positions and it's pretty apparent the port tune is at or around 23-24 hz.

Here are the pair of Klipsch in my brothers room running the Klipsch RW-12D built in depth Eq and unoptimized for his room.
b51btx.jpg

Here are the pair of subs optimized in my room with no external EQ, but optimal sub placement.

KlipschRW-12DPair-DepthEQ-2dBspacing.jpg

Notice something? The Klipsch RW-12D subs are obviously below port tune at 20hz.

What else?

At 23hz the subs are at about 95dB on my test and I guarantee you they weren't at their limits. True, I was measuring a pair of these but I was just arbitrarily picking a SPL point to begin measuring well above the noise floor in my room. At the arbitrary point I picked and measured from my listening position 11 or 12 feet away I was hearing zero audible distortion and no port noise on the ominimic sweeps at these levels, and I think they had quite a bit of headroom left. Contrast that with a unit like the Crystal Acoustic TX-12 Sub which had audible port noise at these same levels (granted with a single sub (but expensive $750)).

I'm not suggesting the Klipsch RW-12D is better than the HSU or Outlaw 1 on 1. Those two subs will dig deeper because they are in bigger ported boxes and are tuned deeper. The ability to dig deeper is typically more desirable. However, if you only look at the 20hz at 86dB at 10% distortion number and think the Klipsch is weaksause -- even at the sale price of $300 -- you are missing the boat. The Klipsch will be louder, and by the time you account for the fact you can get 2 for the price of 1 of the HSU or Outlaw subs at the seemingly never ending discount -- then you are really getting quite a bit louder system with the dual Klipsch subs. If your limit isn't strictly $600 there are obviously better options than a pair of Klipsch RW-12Ds for a big room. If your limit is $300 (or $600 for a pair) the Klipsch are a pretty good option IMO.

I think the general consensus recommended so far is correct, that if you have $600 or $700 to spend and have a big room get two Klipsch subs and make use of their greater SPL and higher tune. FULLY REALIZING THAT THESE SUBS WILL STILL HAVE LIMITS. (aside: Don't be one of the guys who has a 10,000 cubic foot room and buys a single Klipsch RW-12D to fill it, decides they aren't happy because it's making port noise when they play five star bass movies and then come back here to complain that the Klipsch sub is no good..... rolleyes.gif) YOU UNDER BOUGHT SUBWOOFER FOR YOUR ROOM! I would feel the same way. If you want a wowing experience in a large room you'll need more than a typical 12" subwoofer. Which is why I own a pair of JTR Captivators in a 3500 cubic foot room, and they are quite possibly my favorite purchase I've ever made. If I had a 6,000 cubic foot room I'd own four captivators ---- so on and so forth...

Back to topic --- The reason duals of the Klipsch at $600 rather than a single HSU or Outlaw for $700 is a valid recommendation for a large room is that you won't get to take advantage of the lower tuned SPL of the HSU or Outlaw until you spend a lot more than $600 or $700 anyway in a large room --- that is if you plan to get enough SPL in the low frequencies to make it audible or tactile in your big room. However, if you have a smaller room get a single Outlaw or HSU sub and enjoy the 16hz tunes and tactile feel that accompanies that tune! You'll NEVER get that lower 16hz-20hz stuff with the Klipsch no matter how many you stack. The idea of stacking multiples is that a single sub needs to be able to accomplish your frequency response goals and then you add onto that single with an identical sub bumping the overall capability up 3-6dB. If the single can't produce it (especially in the world of ported subwoofers) multiples won't do it.

Here are the numbers from that Sound and Vision Shootout.

HSU with turbo
Bass limit (Max 10% distortion) 16hz at 83dB
25-62hz at 105dB average
Max Output 109 dB at 50hz
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/shootout-five-mid-price-subwoofers?page=0,1

Klipsch RW-12D
Bass limit (Max 10% distortion) 20hz at 86dB
25-62hz at 108dB average -- (highest measured)
Max Output 115 dB at 50hz -- (highest measured)

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/shootout-five-mid-price-subwoofers?page=0,3

Outlaw Audio LFM-1EX
Bass limit (Max 10% distortion) 20hz at 96dB
25-62hz at 106dB average
Max Output 109dB at 32hz
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/shootout-five-mid-price-subwoofers?page=0,5

SVS SB12-Plus
Bass limit (Max 10% distortion) 32hz at 102dB
25-62hz at 104dB average
Max Output 110dB at 62hz
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/shootout-five-mid-price-subwoofers?page=0,7

Velodyne DLS-5000R
Bass limit (Max 10% distortion) 25hz at 91dB
25-62hz - 108dB average
Max Output - 114dB at 62hz
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/shootout-five-mid-price-subwoofers?page=0,9
a5ehren, vivatech and shanebo like this.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

post #17 of 22 Old 08-24-2012, 08:27 PM

^^^ Great post. So it's your opinion that if someone has a very large or open room (like OP and myself), and has "only" $600 to spend, they will likely get better performance from dual RW-12ds than from a single HSU, SVS, or Outlaw. Of course, if one could talk his wife into dual HSUs ...

Seriously, thank you, Archaea, for taking time to lend your wisdom to noobs like me -- I've read a number of your reviews and, even though I've never met you, I hold your opinions in high regard.

As an aside, tonight I watched Inception (terrible movie, by the way ...) with my little Kenwood HTIB sub handling everything below 80 hz, and it didn't sound all that bad. I can't imagine how good a "real" sub will sound ...
post #18 of 22 Old 08-24-2012, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorMachine View Post

You're too well-informed to entertain this opinion seriously. What gives?

Lol, I meant to say mid bass and upper bass. Even the BIC PL200 manages to best the PB12 at 60 hz. But yeah, obviously the PB12 is spanking these subs in the deep bass.
post #19 of 22 Old 08-24-2012, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Lol Archaea, now you have me curious about the Klipsch sub. I wouldn't have guessed that they could get louder than the Hsu or Outlaw at any frequency, I would love to see some charts for it. We need to send Ricci one of those!
post #20 of 22 Old 08-24-2012, 09:58 PM

Liked: 40
It also helps to know how loudly you listen to music...you mentioned you were living in apartments, and usually that means a limit on SPL that will be much lower than your equipment can deliver. I don't know if you have a receiver that can EQ your bass, but if you do and you rarely listen to your movies or music @ 90db or above, just about any of the options would more than suit your needs. If not, you might want to pick something that has the most low level output (not max spl, but flattest low bass response above your max listening SPL) to make up for the larger room (since you can't EQ the low end)
post #21 of 22 Old 08-26-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile2k View Post

It also helps to know how loudly you listen to music...you mentioned you were living in apartments, and usually that means a limit on SPL that will be much lower than your equipment can deliver. I don't know if you have a receiver that can EQ your bass, but if you do and you rarely listen to your movies or music @ 90db or above, just about any of the options would more than suit your needs. If not, you might want to pick something that has the most low level output (not max spl, but flattest low bass response above your max listening SPL) to make up for the larger room (since you can't EQ the low end)

I usually listen between 80-85 db's for music and I was never satisfied with bass for music until I heard higher level of subs in here.

My previous subs were SVS, I used a cylinder from 2002-2004 and a dual 12's box sub from 2004-2011. I was never happy, no matter how I configured my room. I tried the sub in all corners, all mid-walls (even moving it up and down the walls), tried the sub as an end table or behind the couch, tried a HSU-MBM-12, tried moving my LP all over the room (and I do mean ALL over the room) and nothing worked. I always felt like the bass was either lacking or boomy/bloated.

The day I brought a JTR Captivator in here all that changed, and now it's even better (for music, with movies both subs have their strengths) since I switched to Submersives.

Like I said, it could be my room but for me it wasn't just the quantity of bass that really improved, more importantly the QUALITY of bass drastically improved with the more expensive subs.
post #22 of 22 Old 08-26-2012, 12:19 PM

Liked: 40
I don't know if you EQed the bass at your LP with the subs you were not happy with?...if so, pretty much any capable sub would be able to produce 80db at 20hz according to the databass(even the better $300 subs)...so in your case it may be you like a lot of bass below 20hz, or you like a rising peak at the lower frequencies that led you to your current subs. Or like you stated, they might just interact with your room better without EQ or because of the size of your room. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, but I don't think that changes the fact that any of the subs we are discussing can be EQed to be "flat" between 20hz - 100hz at lower SPL.in the size of room the OP mentioned.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page