Dynamo 700 Powering Off Inexplicably - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-24-2012, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This has been happening for a while now and I'm somewhat stumped by what the issue could be. The ML sub's power comes from a Panamax power conditioner and the signal is sent from a Pioneer VSX-53. At certain times during the use of the system the sub makes a single pop noise, not very loud, and the light on the rear switches from blue to red indicating it is not operating. I am having trouble seeing the issue because it seems to happen when it is not being used much. If there is an action scene with a lot of bass everything is fine, but during dialog it will shut off like this randomly. It's impossible to predict. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-26-2012, 07:39 PM

Anyone have any ideas?
post #3 of 9 Old 08-27-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 318
When it goes into standby normally does it make that same noise?

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #4 of 9 Old 08-27-2012, 08:33 AM

Yes it does. But there are times when my AVR is showing an LFE signal being sent and the sub stays off. I assumed originally it was simply powering off due to inactivity, but there have been times when powers off during activity.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-27-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Are you using just the LFE input on the sub, or do you have cables connected to the Right and Left? If it's the former you may want to try using a Y adapter and plug into both ports. That will increase the signal strength, which might make it less prone to going into standby. You'll probably find the subwoofer sounds louder, so you may have to turn it's volume down some. Alternately, you could change the sub from Auto to On. Even if you just do this for a week to troubleshoot at least you'd know if that's the true culprit.

post #6 of 9 Old 08-27-2012, 09:20 AM

I am running it with LFE only with LFE bypass enabled. I can certainly give the Y-adapter a try and see to see if that helps, I should have one lying around. This model only allows for auto-on, or off unfortunately. No option for leaving it on at all times. I hadn't heard the benefits of running with a splitter compared to just LFE. How is the signal strength being increased though when the signal is still only coming through a single interconnect?
post #7 of 9 Old 08-27-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Where is the subwoofer volume set in the receiver? If the subwoofer volume is set to low in the receiver, then the auto on circuit in the subwoofer will think that the input level is too low and will turn the subwoofer to OFF.

The solution may be for you to turn up the subwoofer volume in the receiver (to end up near 0 dB), and turn down the volume level on the subwoofer to compensate for that change.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-27-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W_Elit3 View Post

How is the signal strength being increased though when the signal is still only coming through a single interconnect?

The subwoofers amplifier is doing it; the signal itself is, in essence, not being doubled by the virtue of a Y adapter. Not all amps are designed this way, but the majority of them are it seems. With no Always On setting it might be your only hope at mitigating the problem, assuming it's not actually a defect and just a low signal condition of course.

post #9 of 9 Old 08-28-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

Where is the subwoofer volume set in the receiver? If the subwoofer volume is set to low in the receiver, then the auto on circuit in the subwoofer will think that the input level is too low and will turn the subwoofer to OFF.
The solution may be for you to turn up the subwoofer volume in the receiver (to end up near 0 dB), and turn down the volume level on the subwoofer to compensate for that change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

The subwoofers amplifier is doing it; the signal itself is, in essence, not being doubled by the virtue of a Y adapter. Not all amps are designed this way, but the majority of them are it seems. With no Always On setting it might be your only hope at mitigating the problem, assuming it's not actually a defect and just a low signal condition of course.

I made both of these changes and it made quite a bit of difference. The AVR had the SW level down at -9.5dB so it is not a surprise to have the issues I was having. I originally ran the audio calibration with the stock MCACC program, but it looks now like the levels are a bit low on each channel. I will be making further adjustments of my own so the SW continues to blend in with he towers, but more effectively this time. Thanks a lot for your help. If you have any other tips let me know, I'd like to learn them, thank you.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Martinlogan Dynamo 700 10 Inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer Single Black , Subwoofers , Pioneer Elite Vsx 53 Av Network Receiver 7 1 Channel 3d , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page