Klipsch RW-12D pair vs. Jamo Sub 650 pair vs. Dayton Audio Titanic MK III sealed sub pair - Subwoofer G2G - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 43 Old 08-27-2012, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 View Post

Good thread, Archaea. Now I can add the close out Jamo to my close out Klipsch and close out Energy (and BIC F12) under $300 reco's.
Seems like all the good econo subs are getting waxed!

These aren't 300 dollars subs by design, which is why they are a bargain when on sale. They are thousand dollar duds / failures, but at three hundred bucks they become winners....
Archaea likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 08-28-2012, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

It's too late now. He'll forever be known as 'tot'... tongue.gif

I didn't realize I had the power to change people's names :P AWESOME!

post #33 of 43 Old 08-28-2012, 01:51 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks, Archaea.

I had got my SUB 650. this is my first serious subwoofer.

Right now, I am very satisfied with it in my L sharp living room/dinning room.

Just one question, I put the subwoofer in the connect corner of my L sharp open space. However, I found the best sound effect is not in my sofa area.

Is there any suggestion to adjust the speakers?
post #34 of 43 Old 08-28-2012, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

These aren't 300 dollars subs by design, which is why they are a bargain when on sale. They are thousand dollar duds / failures, but at three hundred bucks they become winners....

Yes, I understand this. The Energy S10.3 is another that comes to mind.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Volunteer Moderator for the Chase Home Theater forum

post #35 of 43 Old 09-03-2012, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 28
Nice write up. I've owned both the RW-12d and the SUB 650. As you say both subs are great for that price and you can't go wrong with either one. I had the sub 650 paired with klipsch klf-10s. It sounded nice, I think overall I prefered the sound of the Jamo. I got the RW-12d once I got the smaller klipsch rf-3II by request of my wife. I wanted a sub that matched. The RW-12d was also a very nice sounding sub most of the time. At certain points in movies there was very audible port chuffing and also the cheap plastic port made a squeezing noise I assume due to flexing. The DIY in me decided I wanted to build a different cabinet for the RW-12d woofer. There is a reason you don't hear low noted with the klipsch. After getting cabinet and port measurements and punching them into winisd I find the klipsch is actually tuned to between 29-30hz! Doesnt really suprise me much, but for those who own the RW-12d you should build a larger cabinet, say around 3 cubes tuned to 22 hz. Much better output.

Dan
post #36 of 43 Old 11-04-2012, 10:06 PM

Since the Jamo and Klipsch are quite similar would it be possible to pair them....

I've got a Klipsch SW-112 which is very similar to the 12D and am seeing a very cheap Jamo SUB650 which is hard to resist....

Of course it would be best to go with another Klipsch but this Jamo is going to cost me 50% less than a new klipsch

Would this be a workable scenario - one in each corner of the room?
post #37 of 43 Old 11-05-2012, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 426
yes that should work. ideally pair identically, but these are fairly similar as you've noted. They should work together okay if the cosmetics of the situation dont bother you.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

post #38 of 43 Old 11-06-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Recommended the Klipsch RW-12D to my neighbor who just bought Cornwalls for his garage and needed a little boost down low. I'm surprised just how well the RW-12D keeps up it's end of the deal at reasonable SPL levels.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Volunteer Moderator for the Chase Home Theater forum

post #39 of 43 Old 11-09-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Negatives -
*There is no advantage to not hearing port noise on a sealed design if you have to turn the sub down significantly to get away from mechanical noise at the same SPL as port noise on the competitor.
The distress on the Jamo sounds different than the distress on the DIY Dayton driver though. On the Jamo it sounds like a rubber surround is out of excursion capability or something (it's a soft change in tone and movement which is audible and sounds a bit like rubber flapping).

First of all thanks for the review. I purchased one Jamo Sub 650 back in July, just 2 weeks before you posted this review. I had whittled it down to the Jamo, Klipsch or break the bank and go HSU. At any rate I decided on the Jamo - and can attest to the mechanical noise. I listen across a wide range of decibels, and at loud volumes that noise is unbearable. It does sound like rubber flapping but when I put a very small amount of pressure on each of the three polished sides - the sound goes away. I can then crank the sub and it sounds great. My question is, is it possible the sound is caused by a weak box seal? To my knowledge this sub has no bracing. Could I potentially fix this with some sealant or a DIY bracer job? I have a friend who recommended we brace it even before the problem noise surfaced. He said it would improve the sound, but I am hesitant to take it apart if I can avoid it.

Right now I feel my options are
1. Warranty claim (be without bass for a while, probably won't fix the problem)
2. Apply silicone where the wood meets on the back panel
3. Tear the sub apart, add bracing and hope for the best
4. Sell it and start over (sadly I have a lower-paying job now and unless my interview goes well this morning, the HSU will remain a dream)

Right now I am leaning toward option 2, as it is the quickest, least intrusive choice.

Any and all feedback/help is thoroughly appreciated.
post #40 of 43 Old 11-13-2012, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Snce I own two of these subs, i am very curious abou the possility of getting better performance by just increasing the stiffnss annd bracing of these subs internally. Also, Would it addionally increase the subwoofers performance to add more polyfill or damping material inside cabinet? This sounds like something even I can do... lol

please respond wit serious input. Could/would these little tweaks make an audible "real world performance" increase?
post #41 of 43 Old 11-13-2012, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jrunr,

Adding polyfill is supposed to act like increasing the internal volume of the box. This may allow for the driver excursion limits to be reached faster, and the native frequency response to raise slightly on the <= 20hz end of the FR. However. I don't think the Jamo sub 650 driver has excursion to spare -- so i don't think you'll be gaining any valuable functionality by throwing polyfill in the box. I've never measured how much actual difference there is between poly fill and no. That'd be an interesting study. As to bracing --- perhaps. But unlikely. That 12" Jamo driver isn't really going to be flexing the box much to begin with. The difference would likely be very negligable.

Komodo,

If you have an air leak on a sealed sub you'll know it. You can feel it, and you can hear it. It sounds exactly like you'd expect. If you don't feel the air leak, and don't hear it when you are within a few inches of the seals - then that isn't your problem.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout

post #42 of 43 Old 11-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Aw man! and here I was thinking I colud go out and spend $24 and make my Jamo sub pound like a ULS-15~!!! lol (I've owned a few. They're a lot of fun!)

In all reality though, Little thing like this are fun to tinker with some times. Ij ust dont want to mess anything up if I do try. After all, I did buy myDual Sub 650's becuase of your glowing review. Great subs, but I am still curious how it would stake up to a pair of epik Legends.... (another possible shoot-out for you Archea!!! lol) just kidding buddy. Keep up the awesome work! I constantly look forward to reading your posts.. ALWAYS insightful and always fun! smile.gif
post #43 of 43 Old 11-13-2012, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You know - I do plan to host a meet probably early next year. A budget sub meet. I'd be glad to have an epik legend in the mix assuming we can find one. I'll have a Jamo Sub 650, since I own one. My glowing review on the Jamo was primarily based on price. At MSRP of $900 it's a dud. At $250 -- wow - nothing touches it in the budget segment. Flat to 20hz!?!?!?! for $250? Yes please!!! For a small room it was the cat's meow at that price! Never intended to be an SPL, monster - but a fine preformer for the money!

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each , Jamo , Dayton Audio , Dayton Audio Tit400c 4 15 Titanic Mk Iii Subwoofer 4 Ohm
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page